CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NEWBIE WITH A 97 SLS

murraykepple

Members here, no doubt, would be happy to help you.

Could you be less cryptic?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Please pull the OBD II codes and post them here. With that data, we can probably tell you exactly what's up. Also there are several good parts sources. Look at this page to find out how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Members here, no doubt, would be happy to help you.

Could you be less cryptic?

Regards,

Warren

LOL. I checked the motor and it moves free. There are 3 wires going to the motor red, gray and black. The red wire has 12 volts on it all the time, black is ground and gray nothing. Is the gray wire the control wire for the motor? I jumped 12 volts to the gray wire and the fan didn't work. I traced the wires trough the fire wall and that as far as i got.

Hi,

Be careful what you put 12 volts into. The computer runs on low voltage. Around 5 volts so by putting 12 volts into the wrong wire you could damage the computer.

Check the heater and A/C programer. This is one of the parts that controls the heating and A/C system and the blower motor.

The gray wire is from the programer and tells the blower what speed to run at. It also runs on a max 5 volts.

If you have a test meter check for voltage from the gray wire with the wire unpluged and the fan turned on.(key on also) If there is no voltage the problem could be the programer. If there is voltage at the gray wire then the blower is the problem.

It will help if you pull the codes from the computer. These codes will help find the problem most of the time.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the board,

Blower motors are a topic that pop up very frequently here. There are several things that could cause a blower motor to fail, and if you use the search feature on the board here, and type in blower motor, there are 13 pages of posts on the subject.

check out this thread : http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...hl=blower+motor

Thats a post i started some time ago, that contains a LOT of very useful information for troubleshooting a blower motor.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Blower motors are a common failure. ACM's (programmers) are not. The grey wire is speed control but as mentioned does not supply 12v. You most likely need to R & R the blower.

Please pull the OBD II codes and post them here. With that data, we can probably tell you exactly what's up. Also there are several good parts sources. Look at this page to find out how:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

I pulled the codes PCM-P1527,ACM-B1347,RSS-C1738,IRC-B1740,IRC-B1771,IRC-U1255 and IRC-U1064. I also checked the gray wire for 5 volts with a meter (unpluged) and ther is no volts.

# P1527 - Transmission Range to Pressure Switch Correlation

# B1347 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Warning

# C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND

# B1740 - Driver Seat Front Down Switch Circuit Malfunction

# B1771 - Cassette tape slow

# U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

# U1064 - Loss of Communications with DIM

The problem seems to be that you are low on Freon and the system is shutting off your A/C. The tell-tale code is B1347 from the A/C Module (ACM).

Other problems are a little sticky solenoid on the transmission (B1527), wire short to ground on your load leveling pump (C1738), memory seat module sees a bad down switch on your power seats (B1740), your casette drive needs cleaning (B1771), a wiring problem between the console and another module (U1255), and a wiring problem between the console and the instrument panel (U1064).

I would have the transmission serviced (not flushed, serviced). I would have the A/C recharged and checked for leaks. Then, I would clear the codes and see what comes back. Everything else looks like occasional stuff from flaky wiring.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Had the A/C charged, they put in 24oz. and stIll no blower motor. Pulled more codes that I didn't see the first time.

PCM P0603 HISTORY

IPC B1552 HISTORY

IPC B1983 HISTORY

IPC B2510 HISTORY

ACM B1347 CURRENT

SDM B1161 HISTORY

TCS C1738 HISTORY

RSS C1738 CURRENT

IRC B1740 HISTORY

IRC B1771 HISTORY

IRC U1255 HISTORY

IRC U1064 HISTORY

PZM B1552 HISTORY

PZM B1983 HISTORY

A/C charge (or lack there of) has nothing to do with the blower motor.

B1347 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Warning

This DTC MUST be cleared BEFORE charging the system or it will not take the charge.

I don't see how they charged it without a working blower motor, either.

Te DIC diagnostic mode prefixes are, in order of display of codes:

PCM - Powertrain Control Module

IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster

ACM - Air Conditioner Module

SDM - Sensing and Diagnostic Module (for air bag system)

TCS - Traction Control System

PZM - Platform Zone (body/chassis) Module

IRC - Integrated Radio Chassis

RFA - Remote Function Actuator (fob, and receiver in car)

CCP - Cell Phone

MSM - Memory Seats Module

MMM - Memory Mirrors

PHN - Phone

The codes you have, with remarks, are:

P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset (they disconnected your battery to clear the codes)

B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error (from disconnecting the battery)

B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low (Power seat complained with they were messing with the battery)

B2510 - Steering Wheel Controls HVAC Key Stuck (they held the FAN HI button too long)

B1347 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Warning (it didn't go away -- did they check the compressor?)

B1161 - Lamp Circuit Failure (SDM????)

C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND (wiring problem with level control)

B1740 - Driver Seat Front Down Switch Circuit Malfunction

B1771 - Cassette tape slow

U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

U1064 - Loss of Communications with DIM

B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error (PZM noticed that the battery was disconnected)

B1983 - Device Power Circuit Low (power seats circuit complained again)

The fact that you have ACM B1347 CURRENT says that whatever is wrong is ongoing and probably constant. You may need an A/C compressor. When that happened to me I got one from the dealer. It is very expensive that way but you get a lifetime warranty, labor included, so I went that route.

Have it looked at by a competent A/C shop. If the compressor is bad, whoever tried to charge it should have brought that to your attention. I can't see how someone would charge you for recharging your A/C and return the car with the A/C not working at all, and not tell you anything.

I don't see how they charged it without a working blower motor, either.

You don't need a working blower motor to charge the a/c. The only thing that will happen as a result of no blower is the compressor will cycle more often.

I think it's time to have the A/C checked over by a tech that will do more than disconnect the battery and put Freon in it.

The problem seems to be that you are low on Freon and the system is shutting off your A/C. The tell-tale code is B1347 from the A/C Module (ACM).

Took it to A/C shop to have it charged. Told him the blower motor was not working and it was low on freon. He charged the A/C by clearing the ACM code and told we that the blow is not working and it had nothing to do with it be low on freon. He told me to take it to the dealer because there is to much to troubleshoot. Took it to the dealer, 2 hours and $60.00 later they told me the blow motor was bad. They wanted over $400.00 to fix it. I'm going to order one monday for $234.00.

Sounds like we have an end to the tale in sight. If you had come back here we might have been able to convince you to order the blower motor without going back to the dealer. There are several people here who have experience in that problem, and in the blower motor replacement.

There is a new design. A few things have changed, and people here can help you with the installation. The key thing to remember for starters is that the blower motor is very finely balanced and the FSM says to minimize handling of the blower motor during installation.

Lookoing on Ebay for blower motors, there are a couble on there that are new. They say they will fit. But they don't look like the one that is on the car. They may be the updated ones. I hope. I'm going to bid on them.

Thanks for the Help. I will post a pic. of car soon.

Murray Kepple

The updated motor looks more or less the same except that it has a foil EMF shield on it to shunt high voltage EMF away from the sensitive components on the fan controller circuit board.

Make sure you can return the EBAY fan if it does not work, personally I would buy one from gmotors.com or rockauto.com.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I purchased a blower motor on eBay from an Illinois Cadillac dealership selling select parts on eBay. Brand new OEM motor with the same warranty where it could be returned to any Cadillac/GM dealer. He had the best price at the time. Is that seller from Illinois by chance?

The updated version has only 3 mounting holes as opposed the 5 original, so don't let that throw you. It does look a bit different. When I bought one for my '97 I thought gmpartsdirect sent me the wrong one.

• 2 weeks later...

Took about 1 hour to replace the motor. Took longer to but in than take out.

Thanks everybody for your input and help.

Murray B)

Murray, did you have to tilt the engine, did you run into any problems? Remove anything? To do the job in an hour, it does not seem that you ran into many problems. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived