CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP Radiator Flush

bigboy6998

Yesterday i went to the Local Speedy Lube to get a radiator flush. Wached them do it all the way through. (they used some machine to flush it, disconected the upper and put a quick disconet on it and on the inlet to the ingen and ran the flusher, coolent that came out was pretty clean) i did notice it was slightly hot when i left but it whent down as soo as i got above 45 mph. I went home and everything was fine. Next morning i go to work and on the way it says check coolnt level. Once i get to work i have steam coming out of the hood. Pop the hood and discover that the upper hose was pushed under a bracket and the hose was pushed up against the tensioner for the water pump and wore a hole in it.(seems like a bad design because the cover for the water pump belt only covers the top part of the belt and stops jsut where the hose would contact if the hose was not formed right) Called the Manager (good friend) and he said they will replace the hose and put on a new belt. Well i went the after work and they replaced the hose but the belt hadnt come in yet. so i was getting ready to leave and i noticed it was over heating. i let it sit at the Lube place till it was down to operating temp. and took it for a spin to see if it was a air bubble. Over heated again. went home and let it sit and called the manager told him that i wil let it cool all the way down and try it in the morning. Now today (this morning)i drove it around the block till it got to operating temp. drove a little more... nothing still good. went home and let it run in the drive(5 min). nothing. went inside and came out still good... gettting ready to leave i notice it start to creep up. got to the first white line after good and then it started to go back down. So i ensured that i had a ride available if any probs on the way to work. drvoe 45 miles to work still good.

Now my question is what was casuing the problem? havent replaced the thermostat yet (130k) (had it since 70k) I had a broke nipple that i fixed with epoxy glue (the little hose on the fill tank that goes to the throttle body)

Also when the water pump belt ate a hole in the uppper it was spraying everything in that area with hot coolent including; the eltronic plug on the lover hose connection, air box, and even some on top of the engine, and maybe some other parts. would hot coolent wreck any of those parts?

Thank for any help

Keenan

just a good example when a shop rather causes problems than fixes existing ones... sorry, i do not have any suggestions at this point.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Coolant spraying on the engine would not likely hurt anything. It will make a mess and can make the belts slippery though.

If you are comfortable working on the engine slip the belts off and wash with detergent and hot water in the sink, allow to dry and then replace them on the engine.

Or on a cool engine you can use soap and water, with a brush to clean the belts. Often you can just sluice them down and brush what you can reach; then rinse thoroughly. Allow to drip dry for five minutes or so.

I hope that the shop replaced the Bars Leak Gold (two tubes) by adding to the lower radiator hose. If not I would be concerned of potential head gasket leaks and other seepage that can be very costly to repair.

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks much. on my way to get the belt replaced by them ill pick up some barsleak stuff and have them up that in... now htat you say that the AF would make stuff slippery could my belt just be slipping from gettting AF on it. but if thats the case it would have been slipping when it was getting sprayed and not just after they replaced the hose. ill have them do the cleaning when the replace the belt.... hopefully that works... should i replace the thermostat. i think it is orig. dont know for sure. on the gage in cluster it always on the center but off the hot side but not off the ceneter white line(might be the way i lean in the car cause if you look at it straight through the steering wheel it looks dead on (all of this is from 3 days ago before the flush.)

Thanks for the help.

keenan

oh dear :huh: there goes that nasty, naughty word again, dare I say it? FLUSH .............auuuuuuuuuuuugh!! :blink:

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, flush your transmission or your cooling system on your Caddy.

DRAIN and REPLACE is the proper procedure but NEVER FLUSH.

ALWAYS remember to replace the Bars Leak Gold in your engine cooling system or else you may run the very possible risk of developing leaks.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

NEVER, and I mean NEVER, flush your transmission or your cooling system on your Caddy.

Why? I have had both done to my Bronco and allseems to work well. In as far as the transmission goes, this is how the dealers do it until the 150K mark when they go insude to replace the filter.

Is it someting about the Cadillac radiators and transmissions, the skill of the people doing it or, a combination of both?

Just curious!

Thanks!

Jim White

Why? I have had both done to my Bronco and allseems to work well. In as far as the transmission goes, this is how the dealers do it until the 150K mark when they go insude to replace the filter.

Is it someting about the Cadillac radiators and transmissions, the skill of the people doing it or, a combination of both?

Just curious!

Thanks!

Jim White

Comparing the Bronco engine and transmission with the Cadillac engine and transmission is comparing apples to oranges.

Those flush machines are almost never clean and they dump lots of dirt and other stuff into your transmission and coolant system.

That's just one of the MAIN reasons to NOT do it.

If you search the archives, you will find DOZENS more and I'm sure plenty of other folks including Bbobynski, will add to this list of reasons for NOT doing a flush on either system.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

tjtjwdad, check the archives. Cooling system flush probably won't hurt anything other than introduce something other than distilled water and it's contaminants into the system. Trans flush is another story. Lots of tight tolerances in there and flushes usually just stir up debrie and worse, add debrie from someone elses failing trans into yours. Many horror stories about it.

bigboy, you may have just had some air in the system. Rev it to 4-5k several times and that should purge any air if there was any.

Thanks much. on my way to get the belt replaced by them ill pick up some barsleak stuff and have them up that in...

Make absolutely sure they DO NOT put the Bars into the pressure tank. The only effect your system will get from there is a possible clog. At the very least, it will settle to the bottom of the tank and go nowhere. The optimum location to reintroduce the GM pellets or Bars Gold (same chemically) is into the bottom radiator hose. Deffinately not as convenient, but necessary.

Being that you have a '97, Dexcool coolant (reddish/orange) should be what came out , and is what should go back in. Hopefully, that is the case.

BTW, even the guys who designed the powertrain and cooling system absolutley, positively do not reccomend 'flushes' of any sort, anywhere..Just drain and refill. It's that simple. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

It appears that a flush is not always a flush. There was never such a thing as a cooling system flush machine until recently. These were probably targeted at the "Jiffy" type places for people with NO mechanical ability whatsoever to be able to offer this "service" to the customer.

In my day, a cooling system flush was MUCH more involved. First, you would drain all the old coolant, stick a garden hose in the rad and fill the thing back up with clear water. You would do this a few times to get all the old junk out...i.e. FLUSH. Then you would put a cleaner into the system, some type of chemical made by Prestone or something, and fill it back up with clear TAP WATER. Then you would drive it for a while, like up to 600 miles. Then you would do it all over again, with the hose and drain procedure, ending up with a totally empty system. You would finally refill it with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water, then you were good for another 2 or 3 years.

As you can easily see, this job is a MAJOR pia for most people, and not suited at ALL for a "Jiffy" place.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Well bbobynski I thought the same thing when reading some other forms, but when i glued the nipple back on. I took the end that went to the hose originaly (metal nipple, double end) and put it in the open hole to the surge tank and glued the outside of it.

Archived