CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Job??

speedyman_2

Well, my '98 STS needs brakes again. With the last trip from San Diego at the beginning of the year and almost another year with lots of driving, they need to be changed. I've been doing them myself before I got to Florida. but, now I have no place to do it nor the time. I plan on going to Sears. I don't really like any of the shops around here and I already bought tired from them too. What can I expect to pay for a complete job? I also have the powerslot cross drilled and slotted rotors in the front. Will they be able to resurface these? If they are beyond that, I'll just replace them with some stock ones again.

IPB Image

I wouldn't think that Sears would know or care about the rotor upgrade. A complete brake job from the dealer has been priced to me at $800, so the Sears estimate shouldn't exceed that. I got a casual estimate from an independent mechanic for about $500. Make sure that you get premium brake pads.

My 1997 ETC is still running on the factory brakes at 120,000 miles, with 30% left on the front pads and more on the rear. This isn't too unusual, so I hear. Perhaps there is something that is causing excess brake wear.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Perhaps there is something that is causing excess brake wear.

I think it's my lead foot. :lol:

What is causing the fast wear is the drilled and slotted rotors. The surface on these is not smooth like a regular rotor. In fact, the slots are there to remove a little pad surface each time the brakes are used to keep the pad surface fresh. Makes sense in very high performance applications to reduce brake fade. The drilled holes are for cooling. I believe the sellers of drilled and slotted rotors will tell you that their rotors will eat through pads faster than stock rotors.

Charles

Charles

My 1997 ETC is still running on the factory brakes at 120,000 miles, with 30% left on the front pads and more on the rear. This isn't too unusual, so I hear. Perhaps there is something that is causing excess brake wear.

:blink: Seriously?? Wow, I'm impressed. Guess I won't be doing brakes in the near future!

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

I agree. But I put the EBC green stuff pads on when I switched rotors. And not long ago I replaced the rear pads and rotors. The amazing thing is now the newer rear pads have already worn away. Meaning, those EBC pads outlasted regular semi-metallic pads by a long shot! I'm definitely going to get smooth rotors, but I may switch back to the green stuff pads.

IPB Image

Ok new brakes and rotors were put on the front. The rear was fine. So it was only about $300 this time. One problem. They said the pad sensors needs to be replaced because the springs from the old ones are missing. But, they couldn't locate any. I told them that the old EBC pads I had did not have the slot for the sensor yet I never got the "REPLACE BRAKE PADS" message in the DIC. Now, It's displaying the message. How do I disable the sensors. I really have no need for them.

IPB Image

If you want to disable the pad warning system for once and evermore you can do it at the LF wheel.

At the connector where the pad sensor plugs into the chassis wiring, jumper the two chassis connector pins together and then connect that jumper to a good clean chassis ground.

Done. No more pad message. Ever.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the tip. As for the new pads and rotors. Going back to OEM specs sucks!! The difference between these and the EBC green stuff pads with slotted/dimpled rotors is HUGE!! The lovely "bite" the EBC pads had was great. Now it's totally gone. :( I feel like I can't stop anymore. lol. Oh well. Maybe I'll start driving like an old lady now that I can't stop as fast anymore. :(

IPB Image

Sounds like the additional brake performance carries a large pricetag...take your pick.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Sounds like the additional brake performance carries a large pricetag...take your pick.

Actually, if I didn't drive it as hard as I did I would not have had a problem with the rotors. The EBC pads outlasted OEM pads twice over ON THE FRONT!! Versus OEM pads on the rear. I'll definitely be putting EBC pads on next time with OEM rotors. Meaning those pads would outlast the rotors. So in the long run the price may be the same or even less. And even if it is a little higher, I'd still pay for that added braking power any day. B) I'm still having a hard time adjusting to these OEM's. I wish I would've done a stopping distance test with the other stuff on. :huh:

IPB Image

Archived