CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

caddy tranny

well third works but it just revs like its in netrul, no codes at all thats what i am scared about, it just droped out of overdrive and i was 40 miles from anywere so i stoped checked the fluid, it was good, continued should have a cell phone i guess, and about 30 miles later i lost third. on the drive home even when third worked, anything over 3000 rpm just reved like in netrul, limped it home and now it sits

tunninator,

Check to see if you have any codes.

I would agree with the others that it is probably shift solenoids. I replaced them in my old 95 STS, about $70.00 CDN for the solenoid kit and about an hour or so of your time.

Not a hard job to do, and certainly better than replacing the whole tranny. besides , the 4T80E is almost bulletproof.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Ah sometimes there isn't a code, a mechanic who can make use of codes AND diagnose a problem with their help is a good one. Codes usually only send you in a certain direction (well except for sensors and such, they usually work or don't) and its up the person receiving those codes to figure out what is going on, thats why the FSM have flowcharts :) Sometimes just a bit of knowing signs and symptoms helps out too :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

like i say there are no codes, were are the solinoids located

The solenoids are in the valve body. You have to drop the pan and remove the valve body. Then I believe you have to split it. I think someone posted a detailed explanation once.

like i say there are no codes, were are the solinoids located

The solenoids are in the valve body. You have to drop the pan and remove the valve body. Then I believe you have to split it. I think someone posted a detailed explanation once.

I replaced the solenoids in my 94 SLS, it was not hard at all, just rememebr to use the GM solenoid kit with the bracket for the filter (to hold it in) and use the longer bolt.

so drivin home home today 65 mph i lost over drive, then 3rd :o checked the fluid its all good, so looks like a new tranny for me, and ideas on cost? anything i should maybe do while hte engine is out? thanks in advance

I had the same happen to me, it turned out to be a shift module, it would have been around $400 but it was still under warrantee

happened to me a couple years ago. 95 etc, 'bout 130k at the time. going down the hiway and suddenly it started downshifting til it got to 2nd and stayed there. pulled over. restarted and the whole exersize repeated itself. That is the limp home mode. These N*'s will usually take you home when bad stuff happens.

the only code was something like 'input speed sensor' which is deep in the tranny. I replaced the shift solenoids (<$70) and that was it! the codes did not indicate it but that was the problem. The 'input speed sensor' code is still there, and i am still ignoring it :)

It's a bit messy, but not too difficult. search the archives and you can get all the info needed.

well just got back from the shop, they said the 3rd gear clutch pilled up in it, so time for a new tranny, anyone know of a good place to get used ones as i have been to it would be 5000 for a rebuilt one

$5000? Find a reputible shop, you should be able to have it rebuilt for about $2000, you should be able to buy a new one for $5000

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

well just got back from the shop, they said the 3rd gear clutch pilled up in it, so time for a new tranny, anyone know of a good place to get used ones as i have been to it would be 5000 for a rebuilt one

$5000? Find a reputible shop, you should be able to have it rebuilt for about $2000, you should be able to buy a new one for $5000

I had to replace the 'input speed sensor' (or which ever sensor is deep in the tranny)on my '94 STS. Had it rebuilt for around $2500, at the time a new one was around $3600. that was a couple years ago.

Agreed...have someone else take a look at it. $5000 is XTREMELY HIGH!!

Find a good rebuilder other than the chains (aamco, etc). You can have it rebuilt.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 1 month later...

Bodybyfisher--are you out there? I'm new, but have a similar problem as tunninater. My 93 STS won't go into Reverse, creeps forward in Neutral, and engine revs up in 4th. 1,2,3 work fine. Lower valve body sitting on my bench. Looking up into tranny, the visible bands are lose feeling--nothing broken, but lose. Also one of the A-B solenoids has a cracked plastic housing, but I thought those only related to shifting. No applical codes. Oil clean--no burnt smell--No visible shrapnel. Rebuild to costly for 120K mile car--your thoughts? thanks Bunky

well new is out of the question to much $ so i will try to find a used one over the course of the winter cause i am parking the car for the winter

You might want to buy a remanufactured transmission. I suggest you check out Jasper Engines and Transmissions. I have never purchased from them, however, it looks like its remanufactured transmissions are quality and have a 3-year/75K warranty. A remanufactured transmission is not new but it's generally better than rebuilt.

I bought my rebuilt transmission from a little company in Detriot... General Motors...

Comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty... And as I read it, the warranty even covers the labor if it needs to be yanked... A local (trusted) transmission shop did the re+re and charged me 9 hours of labor at $75CAN per... $675 (plus tax)

GM charged me (net of a $1200 core charge) $3200CAN for the rebuilt unit (that's about US$2700). They even shipped it for free directly to my transmission shop... and they picked up the core from there for free too!

Installed with all of our excessive Canadian taxes the whole project was just above $4000 Canadian or about US$3500 (aka real money)...

Yes at the $5000 rate they are taking you to the cleaners BIG TIME...

The "cheap" way to do this is with a used unit... Try and get a low miler from the same year and model car... This guarrantees a happy ECU... If I'd gone this route I would have saved over $1200.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Rebuilt or used is up to you. I lost fourth gear and was looking at about 2600 to rebuild, just happened to check a local (REPUTABLE) recycler and he had one with 28k on it whole thing installed was 1100. If you get a used one I'd suggest replacing the sensors as a precaution before it goes in. (TCC switch, input speed etc.)

Good luck, Joe

Bodybyfisher--are you out there? I'm new, but have a similar problem as tunninater. My 93 STS won't go into Reverse, creeps forward in Neutral, and engine revs up in 4th. 1,2,3 work fine. Lower valve body sitting on my bench. Looking up into tranny, the visible bands are lose feeling--nothing broken, but lose. Also one of the A-B solenoids has a cracked plastic housing, but I thought those only related to shifting. No applical codes. Oil clean--no burnt smell--No visible shrapnel. Rebuild to costly for 120K mile car--your thoughts? thanks Bunky

Rebuilt should cost about $2000 or so. 120,000 miles on a 1993 tranny is not bad service for a big powerful car, hell in that time the rubber seals are hard and brittle. My 91 Seville went around 110,000 miles if I recall. You are ready for a rebuild.

I would replace the shift solenoid and see if that solves your problem, its an inexpensive part to replace, they changed the design to stop the cracking. Not sure if that would solve your reverse problem however.

Have you checked for codes?

Archived