CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC is crashing...what to do?

You have got to have some kind of a hardware conflict..

Have you been in device manager and looked?

If two video cards won't work right in there something ails either the board or the way it is configured.

Is there a way to completely reset the board settings.. alot of them have a reset jumper for an example. Did you go into the bios and be sure that you have onboard video disabled?

Also scan your computer with this: http://housecall.antivirus.com

Find out what it would cost to sent the box to me..

Maybe you can send it to me for under $20 and back for under $20

(67502)

I'll wipe that son of a ***** clean and fix the whole thing for free and if I can't do it I know people who can.

That would be better than buying programs,

The average user can get by real fine with a good free spyware scanner and an occasional free virus scan.

No need to go out buying a pile of this and a pile of that.

Yes, I looked at the device manager and the only thing I see is the floppy drive has an exclamation point next to it (I think it was an exclamation point). The floppy drive is dead. Could that be the hardware conflct you're referring to?

I don't know how to get into BIOS to see if the onboard video is disabled.

Thanks for the offer to fix this for me, I might just take you up on that....I just hope I can fix this without bothering you in that way. That was very nice of you though!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried reinstalling the DVD play application? It may have scaled itself to your old system and now its not configured correctly. Epriced, I am a little mentally burned out today from lack of sleep forgive me if I can't get into details today...

I really don't think it's DVD player related as my Media player stutters too. Please re-read my post tomorrow after you've rested. I'm burnt too. This pc has consumed me, and I'm going on very little sleep as well. But I'm pissed and want to get it fixed. I really need to get away from it though for awhile.

I was looking at the registered version of Adaware SE Plus. With the download, can I put that on all 3 of my pc's, via my flash drive, or do they need $22/yr for each pc? Did they offer you the discount by buying 2 or 3 years after your first year was up, like they do now, or do you lose that option after upgrading for only one year?

Psst, I have bought one copy and have been successful in installing it on my 3 computers, keep that to your self... I think its ok however read the TOS when you install.

Forget the on board video idea, that was not a problem before, you PULLED your old CARD out right? It was not on board video right? No reason for ON BOARD to be a problem now.

True its not DVD drive related if its affecting your video files also. Try restarting the computer and shutting down everything you can everything next to the clock. You mentioned a program that is KNOWN to be a problem I think its by ROXIO or CREATIVE it has to do with the DVD, I cant recall, it creates sort of a hard drive out of the DVD drive is it DRAG TO DISK? Look into that program for potential problems and shut it down.. Mike

DID you reinstall the DVD player application?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Have you tried reinstalling the DVD play application? It may have scaled itself to your old system and now its not configured correctly. Epriced, I am a little mentally burned out today from lack of sleep forgive me if I can't get into details today...

I really don't think it's DVD player related as my Media player stutters too. Please re-read my post tomorrow after you've rested. I'm burnt too. This pc has consumed me, and I'm going on very little sleep as well. But I'm pissed and want to get it fixed. I really need to get away from it though for awhile.

I was looking at the registered version of Adaware SE Plus. With the download, can I put that on all 3 of my pc's, via my flash drive, or do they need $22/yr for each pc? Did they offer you the discount by buying 2 or 3 years after your first year was up, like they do now, or do you lose that option after upgrading for only one year?

Psst, I have bought one copy and have been successful in installing it on my 3 computers, keep that to your self... I think its ok however read the TOS when you install.

Forget the on board video idea, that was not a problem before, you PULLED your old CARD out right? It was not on board video right? No reason for ON BOARD to be a problem now.

True its not DVD drive related if its affecting your video files also. Try restarting the computer and shutting down everything you can everything next to the clock. You mentioned a program that is KNOWN to be a problem I think its by ROXIO or CREATIVE it has to do with the DVD, I cant recall, it creates sort of a hard drive out of the DVD drive is it DRAG TO DISK? Look into that program for potential problems and shut it down.. Mike

That's good. I didn't know how clever Ad-Aware was, considering you have to download updates daily.

Yes the old vid card is out.

That was Disk Detector by Creative Sound Labs that's normally in my task bar. It's tied in with my Sound Blaster Live sound card...not OEM. Is that a bad one? I see Drag to Disk by going to msconfig/startup items, but It's NOT checked and never was. Should I still try and find that program and delete it, even though it's not ever an activer startup item? I don't have that MONSTER PC Friendly either that you referred to earlier. Been there! I haven't reinstalled the DVD player. I think it's bundled in with other software when I installed the DVD burner. Just curious, could you elaborate why you think it's the DVD player since the Media Player is affected too?

I'm about to run that HouseCall Virus/Spyware program Fred linked to now. I ran Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy just now and haven't rebooted. I'll becurious to see what it finds that they missed.

He had problems with his old card as well.. though,

I thought

If you don't use the floppy drive and it has the yellow !

Disable it (right click on it and a little menu will pop up)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Marika said something about going into BIOS (?) maybe to disable the floppy?

Yes, good looking out Ms. Marika, I forgot to mention that

Actually if you do as she says,

You probably won't have to fool with it in DM

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

What's your make and model of computer. I'll see if I can find out exactly how to access your system BIOS and I'll let you know. 99% of the time, when the system boots, at the VERY beginning, you'll see a screen that will show what version of BIOS you have and it might give you a hint of how to access the BIOS, usually by pressing ESC or sometimes F1, some machines you press F11 as soon as the machine starts up.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

What's your make and model of computer. I'll see if I can find out exactly how to access your system BIOS and I'll let you know. 99% of the time, when the system boots, at the VERY beginning, you'll see a screen that will show what version of BIOS you have and it might give you a hint of how to access the BIOS, usually by pressing ESC or sometimes F1, some machines you press F11 as soon as the machine starts up.

Compaq Presario 7000 Series, Model 7110US

I think I saw somewhere it might be F10?? Thanks Marika!

My problem is I'm not sure what to do and not do once I'm in BIOS. I've read you can't make ANY Boo-Boos there. :huh:

This HouseCall program may take Forever.....

My problem is I'm not sure what to do and not do once I'm in BIOS. I've read you can't make ANY Boo-Boos there. :huh:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...e=solveCategory

This link is the BIOS set up information for your computer. Print the whole thing out including all active links within the text and read it over and over slowly and carefully until you thoroughly understand it. Once you understand it, boot the computer and enter into the BIOS. What you are looking to do is disable the floppy drive from within the BIOS so when Windows boots up, it won't detect the drive and try to install the drivers for it. Once you take care of that problem, then move onto the next problem. One step at a time. Call me at 201-399-2257 if you run into problems. I'll help step you through them over the phone.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...e=solveCategory

This link is the BIOS set up information for your computer. Print the whole thing out including all active links within the text and read it over and over slowly and carefully until you thoroughly understand it. Once you understand it, boot the computer and enter into the BIOS. What you are looking to do is disable the floppy drive from within the BIOS so when Windows boots up, it won't detect the drive and try to install the drivers for it. Once you take care of that problem, then move onto the next problem. One step at a time. Call me at 201-399-2257 if you run into problems. I'll help step you through them over the phone.

Thanks Marika!

That HouseCalls found four adwares and one other thing. I clicked to delete them and I get a message that deleting those infections may delete those files they're attached to, so I'm thinking NOT, I then click to have it look at each file individually and I get a message I.E. must shut down. :angry: Huh? What BS! That program took forever too!

Oh Boy, I just briefly looked at that and I might be calling you tomorrow Marika. That looks scary! :o

I'm a need some sleep before I tackle that. What's a good time to call tomorrow?

Alot of times on a system like yours you'll hit DEL or DELETE when you first start it up and see the post screen.. and that will get you into the bios.. 90% of the time it is F1 or DEL

If it wants to delete files, housecall I mean, let it do it!

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Alot of times on a system like yours you'll hit DEL or DELETE when you first start it up and see the post screen.. and that will get you into the bios.. 90% of the time it is F1 or DEL

I looked at those instructions and it appears F10 is the key being it was built prior to 2002. Otherwise it would have been F1

What if the file that gets deleted is important? It's gone into cyberspace and I won't even know what file it was? That online scanning scares me. I would think if an Adware attaches itself to it, it must be impt, no?

I looked at those instructions and it appears F10 is the key being it was built prior to 2002. Otherwise it would have been F1

I still would bet that it is DEL but I can't be sure.. I've never fooled with that brand

I would think if an Adware attaches itself to it, it must be impt, no?

Not in my experience... no

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I just looked and Drag to Disk (D2D) by Roxio is the bad one. I had Roxio at one time and it conflicted w/ my DVD Decryptor program, so I uninstalled it some time ago. I didn't see anything negative about Creative's Disk Detector, which is the one that is sometimes in my taskbar. Here in the last few reboots, it's not showed up?

I'm wondering if that Housecalls program is going to cause problems being IE encountered a problem and shut down before the program was finished? I also wonder if I should run it again? I also wonder if I should uninstall the Recovery Console I used with the Windows XP CD trying to fix my BOOT.INI file issue?

I don't see the Bios version at startup. I believe I used to before I had this "invalid BOOT.INI file booting from C:\Windows\" issue. See my prior post #145 regarding that issue and what I tried (Recovery Console). I'm thinking I should maybe try to create that BOOT.INI file if removing the Floppy through BIOS doesn't help. I just can't do it through the Recovery Console being I can't recall the Administrator Password. I wonder if Compaq will have my admin. password and fork it over w/o having to pay $75 or whatever it is for their tech support? See this site for creating the BOOT.INI file: http://www.trustedreviews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608

I looked over the BIOS instructions and it doesn't seem as bad as I first thought. I'm still unsure how to DISABLE the Floppy drive, but I haven't gone into the BIOS yet either.

That's good. I didn't know how clever Ad-Aware was, considering you have to download updates daily.

That was Disk Detector by Creative Sound Labs that's normally in my task bar. It's tied in with my Sound Blaster Live sound card...not OEM. Is that a bad one? I see Drag to Disk by going to msconfig/startup items, but It's NOT checked and never was. Should I still try and find that program and delete it, even though it's not ever an activer startup item? I don't have that MONSTER PC Friendly either that you referred to earlier. Been there! I haven't reinstalled the DVD player. I think it's bundled in with other software when I installed the DVD burner. Just curious, could you elaborate why you think it's the DVD player since the Media Player is affected too?

I'm about to run that HouseCall Virus/Spyware program Fred linked to now. I ran Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy just now and haven't rebooted. I'll becurious to see what it finds that they missed.

I re-corrected my thinking when you said it affected video files also and said this in the thread above:

True its not DVD drive related if its affecting your video files also.

Some of that info I posted yesterday said to re-load the DVD player app. The reason for this in YOUR instance is because when the new drivers were loaded for your new video card, its possible that a DLL for your DVD player was copied over and is creating problems. That is why they suggest re-intalling the DVD player to re-establish the proper files for the player. When this player originally installed was it for Win ME? You new card is streaming video data much faster and its possible that your player is the culprit. Realize that I am 1200 miles away from you so its hard to do this. You have to admit however that my memory is good remembering that D2D was a problem at one time... The other issue is Disk Detector, if it is polling your DVD while a DVD is playing, you might get problems. I love Creative a LOT, I have a Creative Audigy 2 Live Platinum and love it but the early versions (original Audigy) were somewhat buggy and had compatibilty issues. When was the last time you upgraded your Creative drivers? (don't do that now however until you figure out what is wrong).

Why dont you download PowerDVD 7.0 Demo and try it, I use PowerDVD 6.0 on my laptop and registered it to get some bells and whistles. The Demo will let you install a good DVD player and diagnose if that is your problem.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/trials_1_ENU.html

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I re-corrected my thinking when you said it affected video files also and said this in the thread above:

True its not DVD drive related if its affecting your video files also.

Some of that info I posted yesterday said to re-load the DVD player app. The reason for this in YOUR instance is because when the new drivers were loaded for your new video card, its possible that a DLL for your DVD player was copied over and is creating problems. That is why they suggest re-intalling the DVD player to re-establish the proper files for the player. When this player originally installed was it for Win ME? You new card is streaming video data much faster and its possible that your player is the culprit. Realize that I am 1200 miles away from you so its hard to do this. You have to admit however that my memory is good remembering that D2D was a problem at one time... The other issue is Disk Detector, if it is polling your DVD while a DVD is playing, you might get problems. I love Creative a LOT, I have a Creative Audigy 2 Live Platinum and love it but the early versions (original Audigy) were somewhat buggy and had compatibilty issues. When was the last time you upgraded your Creative drivers? (don't do that now however until you figure out what is wrong).

Why dont you download PowerDVD 7.0 Demo and try it, I use PowerDVD 6.0 on my laptop and registered it to get some bells and whistles. The Demo will let you install a good DVD player and diagnose if that is your problem.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/trials_1_ENU.html

Sorry Mike, I fell back asleep. The lack of sleep the last 3-4 days has caught up with me and I gotta tell you, I sure could use some more Cow Bell! :lol:

The PowerDVD player was installed with my Sony DVD burner, while I had XP. Do I need to uninstall my old PowerDVD before loading this new trial version of PowerDVD?

I still don't understand how the DVD player is affecting the Media player too. But I will do the download just to be certain. I'll wait to hear from you regarding uninstalling the old before I Ioad the new. Thanks!

I didn't know that you had PowerDVD. Epriced we are grasping at straws here to figure this one out. This is a process of elimination in many ways. They suggest reinstalling the DVD player software. It would be nice if you still had the installation disk for the current program you have, that would make it easy. That you have the problem with both PowerDVD and the media player, yes that clouds the idea that PowerDVD needs a re-installation, but it could be a file that is negatively impacting both players. What version of the media player are you using, I have version 10. Personally, I would reinstall PowerDVD XP if you can find it on the SONY disk, you might find a folder on the CD that allows you to install it separately. The best information I found were the links i gave you yesterday have you gone through them closely?

Check out this link, check to see if DMA transfers are enabled for your secondary IDE channel or where your CD ROM is connected. See this link for the procedure:

http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

I didn't know that you had PowerDVD. Epriced we are grasping at straws here to figure this one out. This is a process of elimination in many ways. They suggest reinstalling the DVD player software. It would be nice if you still had the installation disk for the current program you have, that would make it easy. That you have the problem with both PowerDVD and the media player, yes that clouds the idea that PowerDVD needs a re-installation, but it could be a file that is negatively impacting both players. What version of the media player are you using, I have version 10. Personally, I would reinstall PowerDVD XP if you can find it on the SONY disk, you might find a folder on the CD that allows you to install it separately. The best information I found were the links i gave you yesterday have you gone through them closely?

Check out this link, check to see if DMA transfers are enabled for your secondary IDE channel or where your CD ROM is connected. See this link for the procedure:

http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

Mike, sorry you missed that. See post #137, where I told you I had PowerDVD XP.

I have Media Player 10.

DMA transfers are enabled for both the Primary and secondary IDE channels. I had to go there last year when I was having burn problems.

I found the PowerDVD program in a folder on the Sony CD, so I will uninstall and reinstall PowerDVD.

Good, that you found PowerDVD, yes uninstall and install. Check the DMA to eliminate the possiblity that for some freaky reason its disabled.

Good, that you found PowerDVD, yes uninstall and install. Check the DMA to eliminate the possiblity that for some freaky reason its disabled.

Uninstalled, Rebooted, Reinstalled, no help. DVD's played through PowerDVD and video files played through Media Player are stuttering.

Earlier I changed my color to 16 Bit. Left it at that.

Checked DMA again, it's enabled on both channels.

In the Device Manager, I noticed I also have a red X through the 1394 Net Adapter. Says it's disabled. I think I disabled that when I hooked up my Linksys Network Router, or when I hooked up the DSL...can't recall which. I'm using the SMZ EZ Card 10/100 PCI adapter, that's next to it I guess? Not sure now actually, but the DSL and router is working. Tech support was helping with that. The Floppy Drive still has the yellow exclamation point next to it.

Maybe I should disable the Floppy drive through BIOS next? Would the Uninstall through Device Manager work? Or simply unplug the Floppy inside the case? Or should I replace it? Will I ever need it? Maybe I should try troubleshooting the floppy again? That's a lot of Floppy questions huh? :lol:

Go into device manager and write down your what hardware is on what IRQ and post it here.. Its possible that you have a hardware conflict that is degrading your IDE channel..

How many open slots do you have?

Go into device manager and write down your what hardware is on what IRQ and post it here.. Its possible that you have a hardware conflict that is degrading your IDE channel..

How many open slots do you have?

I troubleshooted the Floppy Drive in Device Manager, basically said it wasn't there. I tried to enable it, said it could find the drivers, but not the device. I tried to update the drivers, it couldn't find the device. I disabled it, rebooted, no help with video. Just left it disabled.

I enabled the 1394 network adapter in DM, no help with video. Left it enabled. When I disabled the SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series), I lost the network, maybe the internet. I reenabled that and left in enabled. Now I have 2 icons on the taskbar with the 2 little monitors, one for local connection and the other for the 1394 adapter.

I have one open PCI slot. The case shows 2 on the outside, but inside there is no PCI slot on the board corresponding to that slot. I imagine that's for a device that would be too tall for the normal slots; maybe a video card with a huge fan.

Interrupt request (IRQ)

(ISA) 0 System Timer

(ISA) 1 Keyboard

(ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM!)

(ISA) 6 Standard Floppy disk controller

(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real time clock

(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

(ISA) 12 Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (Intellipoint)

(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor

(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel

(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel

(PCI) 3 NVIDIA GeForce 6200

(PCI) 3 SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)

(PCI) 3 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

(PCI) 10 Creative SB Live! series

(PCI) 11 HSP56 Micromodem #2

(PCI) 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

I see there are 3 items sharing #3 ???? Marika made referrence to that earlier in post #37. I bet that's the problem:

"Two or more devices can share an IRQ, BUT, there has to be PCI steering installed on the system to make sure the two devices don't make a call to the system memory at the same time or the system will crash. If you have two devices not getting along and PCI steering is not controlling them properly, it will crash the system. You can change device IRQ numbers in order to get the two devices 'away from each other' so they don't conflict."

The other thing I'm noticing is in Device Manager, there is a grey diamond sign next to Unknown, that expanded shows the Compaq DVD-ROM GD-8000 and the Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. Both of those DVD players are in the pc and working, but they are listed as "unknown".

There is a grey diamond sign next to USBNULL HPO08, in there is the officejet 6100 (DOT4PRINT)

And there is a grey diamond sign next VSO devices. In there is Patin Couffin engine.

OK this is what I see, your video card, IEEE1394 and your ethernet network card are sharing IRQ3. These are all high bandwidth devices. You need to find a way to clear that. If you are not using IEEE 1394 disable it. Move your network card to the other open slot. Lets see if we can get the video card on an IRQ by itself. Once you do this, again report your IRQ's here. I wish we had your motherboard manual to see how the IRQ sharing is handled.

I wouldnt fool around with much else at this point, lets just concentrate on getting the video card by itself.

OK this is what I see, your video card, IEEE1394 and your ethernet network card are sharing IRQ3. These are all high bandwidth devices. You need to find a way to clear that. If you are not using IEEE 1394 disable it. Move your network card to the other open slot. Let see if we can get the video card on an IRQ by itself. Once you do this, again report your IRQ's here. I wish we had your motherboard manual to see how the IRQ sharing is handled.

I wouldnt fool around with much else at this point, lets just concentrate on getting the video card by itself.

Here is how the PCI slots and their devices are lined up on the back with #1 on top:

1. Empty - but no PCI slot inside

2. Video - IRQ3

3. Ethernet the SMC card - IRQ3

4. Sound - IRQ10

5. Open

6. Local modem - IRQ11

7. 1394 IEEE - IRQ3

Do you think moving the video card from slot #2 to slot #5 above will change it's IRQ #?

I am trying to get the video card ALONE, if you move it, it will pair up with something else, by disabling IEEE1394 and moving the network card, you will leave the video card alone on its own IRQ.

On my board, the slots have assigned IRQs and share the IRQs with other hardware, so moving cards around changes the IRQ, but you can quickly make things worse. make notes

Archived