CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC is crashing...what to do?

Well I purchased the EVGA 6200 256MB video card today, $64 with shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;sku=E145-5130

I didn't realize the second card I linked to before was an XFX.

I'm gonna wait to do the USB 2.0 PCI adapter card and hub/card reader, along with a gig of ram for one of my laptops later - hopefully catch a good deal after Thanksgiving (Black Friday). I've been reading D-Link and Belkin, albeit more expensive, are a better brand to go with for USB cards and hubs, and worth the extra cost. I'll be able to transfer those to the new pc as well (when I retire this one - the Vista OS looks nice).

I'm looking at Corsair and Crucial RAM for the lap. Would it be a mistake to go with a less expensive stick of RAM, if I find a good deal on Black Friday? Is RAM RAM, or do you get what you pay for?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I purchased the EVGA 6200 256MB video card today, $64 with shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;sku=E145-5130

I didn't realize the second card I linked to before was an XFX.

I'm gonna wait to do the USB 2.0 PCI adapter card and hub/card reader, along with a gig of ram for one of my laptops later - hopefully catch a good deal after Thanksgiving (Black Friday). I've been reading D-Link and Belkin, albeit more expensive, are a better brand to go with for USB cards and hubs, and worth the extra cost. I'll be able to transfer those to the new pc as well (when I retire this one - the Vista OS looks nice).

I'm looking at Corsair and Crucial RAM for the lap. Would it be a mistake to go with a less expensive stick of RAM, if I find a good deal on Black Friday? Is RAM RAM, or do you get what you pay for?

When you buy memory you get what you pay for.

Value priced memory can be a big nightmare..

That said, value options from good names should be alright.

Just make sure you get the right type of memory for your board!

Corsair and Crucial absolute best choice you could make..

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I need the SODIMM PC2700 DDR 333Mhz RAM. Besides Corsair and Crucial, what are the other good brands? What brands should I shy away from? I know there will be deals on BF. I have 2 identical laptops. There are 2 slots in each lap. There's one stick of 256 in each of them now (one slot open), hoping to get a gig stick and take out the 256 from that lap and put it in the other lap. So in the end, one lap will have 1024MB RAM and the other will have 512MB RAM.

I've had good luck with Kingston, Crucial and PNY sticks over the years. Don't know Corsair.

Global PC and TigerDirect have deals every now and then (probably closeouts, etc) so you might check with them.

The trick with RAM is to make sure you get the right speed for your MB, and seat it carefully in the slots.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

I need the SODIMM PC2700 DDR 333Mhz RAM. Besides Corsair and Crucial, what are the other good brands? What brands should I shy away from? I know there will be deals on BF. I have 2 identical laptops. There are 2 slots in each lap. There's one stick of 256 in each of them now (one slot open), hoping to get a gig stick and take out the 256 from that lap and put it in the other lap. So in the end, one lap will have 1024MB RAM and the other will have 512MB RAM.

Yea it is always better for it to be all one stick..

Set your paging file to a set size (Min 512 and Max 512 for example) - that helps alot.

I've had good luck with Kingston, Crucial and PNY sticks over the years. Don't know Corsair.

Global PC and TigerDirect have deals every now and then (probably closeouts, etc) so you might check with them.

The trick with RAM is to make sure you get the right speed for your MB, and seat it carefully in the slots.

Kingston is not bad memory at all, never tried PNY... I do know that Corsair and Crucial are some of the best out there..

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Mushkin

I've used ALOT of mushkin in my day and always recommended it until I got stuck with a bad stick of it awhile back,

They made it right but still.. I endured alot of BSODs before I found the problem ;)

Still one of the best in my mind but I run Corsair now :)

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Yippee!! I received the new video card tonight. It's now installed and looks wonderful. :D Thanks Mike for helping me with the drivers (the sequence for uninstalling the old and installing the new). No more neon colors. :blink::)

The bummer drag is I can't install dual monitors. It appears my desktop doesn't have Dualview. I went to Display Settings and only see 1 monitor. I even hooked up the 2nd monitor - no workee. This new video card has 2 monitor sockets, and the microsoft site said the card is capable of dual monitors. My laptops show 2 monitors in Display Settings.

Could this be? Am I missing something here? Is it the motherboard that's preventing me from using dual monitors?

This is not a motherboard issue. You are using Windows XP? I use the dual view feature and can't live without it now. There is a wizard if I am not mistaken in the NVIDIA driver that should allow you to set it up.. You should be able to have dual view.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This is not a motherboard issue. You are using Windows XP? I use the dual view feature and can't live without it now. There is a wizard if I am not mistaken in the NVIDIA driver that should allow you to set it up.. You should be able to have dual view.

Yes, I have XP. I used the nvidia wizard too. It only shows one monitor there as well. I'll try the wizard again. Thanks!

I don't work much, maybe an hour a month, maybe two or three-

But when I do need to get something done a second monitor is a heck of a good thing to have.. it's a great idea.

Download UltraMon - it will put a new little button just to the left of the _minimize button on your windows there and you just punch it to swap that window to the other monitor POOF

You can even have a second task bar on the other monitor.. I keep my task bar on autohide and on the left and/or right side, been doing that since 1996, couldn't live with out it once you try it!

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I don't work much, maybe an hour a month, maybe two or three-

But when I do need to get something done a second monitor is a heck of a good thing to have.. it's a great idea.

Download UltraMon - it will put a new little button just to the left of the _minimize button on your windows there and you just punch it to swap that window to the other monitor POOF

You can even have a second task bar on the other monitor.. I keep my task bar on autohide and on the left and/or right side, been doing that since 1996, couldn't live with out it once you try it!

Will Ultramon allow me to see the 2 monitors in my display settings? It's like the pc is not seeing 2 monitors at once, or the 2nd monitor at all for that matter. This pc originally had winME, and I then later upgraded to XP. Could that have anything to do with it?

See this link

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia....amp;p_topview=1

the last line states:

Before purchasing a graphics card, please check with the board manufacturer to verify dual monitor support is supported by their graphics card.

This is a graphics cards issue to provide dual monitor support. However, you have an AMD processor if I recall. Do you have an INTEL chipset on your motherboard? Or a VIA? I am not sure that it matters, but I am just thinking

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

OK, it's working now. I had to restart it to get it to work. I guess I should have done that from the start, as I never restated after plugging in the 2nd monitor. In hind sight, I probably should have turned the pc off before plugging in the 2nd monitor, then booted, correct?. Sorry to bother you with this Mike.

Now I need to figure out how to use it and tweak the settings. Do you use Ultramon too Mike?

darn im good :lol:

No, I am thrilled with NVIDIAs applet and functionality, works perfect. I configured my monitors as one desktop with one task bar. My left monitor is my main monitor with the task bar and my right monitor is an overflow monitor where I put chat windows, EXCEL, and Caddyinfo.... Its amazing, now I need two 19 inch LCD flat panel fast response digital monitors and I will be thrilled... Glad you got it..

I need two of these:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=232498

That is how mine works.. all one desktop spread over two monitors

I'm considering a third monitor.. nothing beats a three monitor setup

You put one in the middle facing you and the other two on either side angled in

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Ok, I have it set up in dualview. My left monitor has my desktop and task bar. The right monitor only shows wallpaper. I can drag my desktop icons to the right monitor, but they don't expand on that monitor when clicked on. If i drag a pic from left to right, only the icon will show up there on the right monitor, but not the pic. When I click on that icon (on my right monitor), the pic expands on my left monitor - not the right. I can't get anything on my right monitor besides icons. What's up with that?

Ok, I have it set up in dualview. My left monitor has my desktop and task bar. The right monitor only shows wallpaper. I can drag my desktop icons to the right monitor, but they don't expand on that monitor when clicked on. If i drag a pic from left to right, only the icon will show up there on the right monitor, but not the pic. When I click on that icon (on my right monitor), the pic expands on my left monitor - not the right. I can't get anything on my right monitor besides icons. What's up with that?

If you open the pic, move it to your other monitor, close it, and open it again-

it should open on the other monitor.. ...

I can't remember if UltraMon does that or if that is just what usually happens

PS: You can't drag a maximized window at all..

So if you open something and it's maximized,

Restore it down and then you can drag it

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

If you open the pic, move it to your other monitor, close it, and open it again-

it should open on the other monitor.. ...

I can't remember if UltraMon does that or if that is just what usually happens

PS: You can't drag a maximized window at all..

So if you open something and it's maximized,

Restore it down and then you can drag it

Hey, Thanks Fred! It's working now! :) I wasn't restoring it down before dragging it...this is Cool!

I have a new issue now. I have a small box on my screen that says:

Startup Connection Detection

Checking connection status...

Please wait

with these 2 arrows that run in a little circle chasing each other.

It has no X or - to minimize it or cancel it. I pressed Control-Alt-Delete and it's not showing up there as an application running. I restarted, still there. It's been running nowe over an hour. :blink: What could that be?

********************************************************************************

The last issue, which I've had for the last year is after I reboot, before windows loads, I see for a split second on a black screen:

invlid boot.ini file

Booting from C:\windows\

It quickly disappears and then windows will load.

Please wait

It has no X or - to minimize it or cancel it. I pressed Control-Alt-Delete and it's not showing up there as an application running. I restarted, still there. It's been running nowe over an hour. :blink: What could that be?

********************************************************************************

The last issue, which I've had for the last year is after I reboot, before windows loads, I see for a split second on a black screen:

invlid boot.ini file

I don't know if it will work on your o/s but go to START / RUN / type in "Msconfig" and hit enter..

You should be able to control what starts when you boot the system

Here's an article type thing about that error http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330184

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Please wait

invlid boot.ini file

I don't know if it will work on your o/s but go to START / RUN / type in "Msconfig" and hit enter..

You should be able to control what starts when you boot the system

Here's an article type thing about that error http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330184

I'm not going to bother with the boot.ini issue for now, and the startup connection detection? Yes, I already did the msconfig and don't see what that could be besides 2 new startups related to nvidia. Maybe I'll try unchecking those, But...

What concerns me now is after looking at a couple videos with media player and a dvd with powerdvd, the videos are jumpy, laggy and momentarily freeze. I'm not sure what that's called? But anyhow, I think I'm gonna call evga tech support and see if they can help trouble shoot this. I've played with the refresh rates, color settings, resolution, no help. Like a dummy, I never looked at any vids after putting in the new card till now. The pics looked good and my colors were good, so I figured all was well. Something is definately not right. <_< I don't think the vids were jumpy with the old card in there. Maybe I need to reinstall the nvidia drivers? Who knows?

What is a 1.3 gig AMD Athlon in Intel terms speed wise? Try going to a single monitor and see if you still have the jumpiness. The dual view can put a lot of stress on your processor and its possible that your Athlon is stressed. Try that and tell me what you find.

Thanks Mike! I will try that. Right now I'm doing a defrag and then Adaware and Spybot. I'm sure that won't help, but what the hey, can't hurt.

Don't quote me on this but I think the 1.3Ghz AMD Athlon was equivalent to a 1.7Ghz P4 Pentium, performance wise.

Thanks Mike! I will try that. Right now I'm doing a defrag and then Adaware and Spybot. I'm sure that won't help, but what the hey, can't hurt.

Don't quote me on this but I think the 1.3Ghz AMD Athlon was equivalent to a 1.7Ghz P4 Pentium, performance wise.

According to AMD.. I'm sure B)

Although I do agree that the early P4 CPU was a pile of :unsure:

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Archived