CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PC is crashing...what to do?

Ok, BAD NEWS! I just opened it up and it was VERY dusty. The power supply inlet holes were clogged and the CPU fan and heat sink was filthy. I vacuumed it out, and blew with compressed air. I removed the video card and cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and replaced. I removed the 2 RAM chips and cleaned the contacts off and replaced them. I then plugged in the power supply to check to see if all the fans were working without hooking anything else up and it came on for a minute, then shut itself off. I then plugged everything in, and was prompted if I wanted to start windows normally,I clicked yes, it started to boot, did the check disk, I saw the Windows XP screen and then the video monitor screen started flickering and then immediately shut off. Before when it crashed, it would restart itself, but now it just shuts off. Well it looks like I have a new boat anchor. Whatever I did made it worse. I'm thinking either the power supply is fried or the video card is worse now, maybe by me handling it or vacuuming it? Maybe the RAM too? I guess I should have booted it up in safe mode, but I'm not comfortable in that mode. I tried to be very careful doing everything, so I'm at a loss here.

How much are power supplies?

btw, the CPU heat sink appeared to be aluminum and the CPU fan had ball bearings.

The vacuum I used was an Omega and looks identical to the 3M the techs use. It cost me $100 used and it's supposed to be safe for pc's. That was the first time I've used it since purchasing it 2 years ago. I'd say it's been atleast 2 yrs+ since I had it professionally cleaned.

It seems something's fried. Can we trouble shoot it any further w/o throwng much money at it? Or should I plan on stripping it (keep the 160 gig HD and DVD burner - scrap the 60 gig HD) for my next desktop and throw it in the lake?

Can I take out the video card and run it in safe mode to see if that's the main problem?

Yes you could take it out, but you would not be able to see anything on your monitor. But you could at least see if it boots up without shutting itself off. Do you have another video card you can put in it just to test to see if it is really the video card?

Posted Image

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, BAD NEWS! I just opened it up and it was VERY dusty. The power supply inlet holes were clogged and the CPU fan and heat sink was filthy. I vacuumed it out, and blew with compressed air. I removed the video card and cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and replaced. I removed the 2 RAM chips and cleaned the contacts off and replaced them. I then plugged in the power supply to check to see if all the fans were working without hooking anything else up and it came on for a minute, then shut itself off. I then plugged everything in, and was prompted if I wanted to start windows normally,I clicked yes, it started to boot, did the check disk, I saw the Windows XP screen and then the video monitor screen started flickering and then immediately shut off. Before when it crashed, it would restart itself, but now it just shuts off. Well it looks like I have a new boat anchor. Whatever I did made it worse. I'm thinking either the power supply is fried or the video card is worse now, maybe by me handling it or vacuuming it? Maybe the RAM too? I guess I should have booted it up in safe mode, but I'm not comfortable in that mode. I tried to be very careful doing everything, so I'm at a loss here.

btw, the CPU heat sink appeared to be aluminum and the CPU fan had ball bearings.

The vacuum I used was an Omega and looks identical to the 3M the techs use. It cost me $100 used and it's supposed to be safe for pc's. That was the first time I've used it since purchasing it 2 years ago. I'd say it's been atleast 2 yrs+ since I had it professionally cleaned.

It seems something's fried. Can we trouble shoot it any further w/o throwng much money at it? Or should I plan on stripping it (keep the 160 gig HD and DVD burner - scrap the 60 gig HD) for my next desktop and throw it in the lake?

Can I take out the video card and run it in safe mode to see if that's the main problem?

Yes you could take it out, but you would not be able to see anything on your monitor. But you could at least see if it boots up without shutting itself off. Do you have another video card you can put in it just to test to see if it is really the video card?

Nope, no extra cards. This really bites! I guess I'll take the card out and see if it still shuts off.

The vacuum I used was an Omega and looks identical to the 3M the techs use. It cost me around $75 used and it's supposed to be safe for pc's. That was the first time I've used it since purchasing it 2 years ago. I'd say it's been atleast 2 yrs+ since I had it professionally cleaned.

Power supplies are dirt cheap. No pun intended.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Nope, no extra cards. This really bites! I guess I'll take the card out and see if it still shuts off.

Go ahead and try that. Let me know what it does.

Well after taking the card out, it wouldn't start at all...completely dead. I had to push the on button repeatedly, then it finally came on, was on for 5 seconds, then I heard a beep beep, then a little shrill sound (like a mini bottle rocket sound), and shut off while making those noises. :o

I'm thiking power supply???

I don't think his Compaq can use a generic power supply like you get at Comp USA. But I could be wrong. Sure wouldn't be the first time. :)

Posted Image

Well after taking the card out, it wouldn't start at all...completely dead. I had to push the on button repeatedly, then it finally came on, was on for 5 seconds, then I heard a beep beep, then a little shrill sound (like a mini bottle rocket sound), and shut off while making those noises. :o

Have you removed all the add-on hardware stuff? So you are now back to the base machine as you bought it? Do you get any beep codes during the BIOS power up sequence? If you're not getting any beep codes it's possible the power supply has choked to death.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The vacuum I used was an Omega and looks identical to the 3M the techs use. It cost me around $75 used and it's supposed to be safe for pc's. That was the first time I've used it since purchasing it 2 years ago. I'd say it's been atleast 2 yrs+ since I had it professionally cleaned.

:P

How much? I'll go to the compusa website and see. It says on a sticker on it's case:

Replace with Compaq spare

SPS - Power Supply 300W

217220-002

I have seen alot of compaqs of similar age to yours in my shop lately with bad CAPS. Look on you motherboard, there should be a least a dozen capacitors (they look like tiny soda cans), pay special attention to the larger ones, especially those near the CPU. See if any other them are bulging on top or leaking crusty stuff out the top, or are cracked open on top. It would not surprise me by what you are describing if this is the problem.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

1 long, 2 shortIndicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional informationAny other beep(s)RAM problem.

Listen REAL CLOSE. See if it was actually 3 beeps 1 long and 2 short. If it really WAS 2 short ones, remove and carefully but firmly reseat the RAM (memory) chips.

Posted Image

Have you removed all the add-on hardware stuff? So you are now back to the base machine as you bought it? Do you get any beep codes during the BIOS power up sequence? If you're not getting any beep codes it's possible the power supply has choked to death.

No, I still have the better sound blaster live card, second HD and the extra DVD burner in there.

I've never heard these beeps before. What are beep codes?

Beep codes will tell you what might be wrong. It's the way a BIOS system communicates.

Beep codes are also dependent upon the type of BIOS. If it's a Phoenix Bios, here's a possible list from the HP/Compaq website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...e=documentIndex

Update: Texas Jim was nice enough to give me his phone number (very nice guy btw) and he helped me with a few things. Come to find out the beeps were due to the video card not being installed. Put that back in and no beeps, but the pc would only stay on for a few seconds, then shut off. Reseated the ram chips and video card again, same thing. Took all the the PCI cards and then the pc wouldn't start at all + No light at the switch. Put the cards back in, same thing, deader than a door nail. We have come to the conclusion that the power supply was dying, and is now dead. Luckily we found a refurb'd one online for $20. Most others were around $100. Have to use a Compaq power supply. I will order that tomorrow and hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Hopefully the power supply will fix it, and then I will get a new video card. If it turns out to be the CPU or board, then I will trash it and buy a new Dell. Don't want to invest more than another $75-100 in this one...not worth it IMO.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help! I really appreciate it! I learned a LOT this time around. First time R/R all the cards and the RAM. My only internal pc experience before today was putting in the sound card. First time I cleaned the inside myself as well. Before I had CompUSA do it when they installed my HD and DVD burner. They installed them for free since I purchased them there. The cleaning was around $50. I see what a cake walk it is now. I was always intimidated before, not now. So thanks again everyone! :)

I have seen alot of compaqs of similar age to yours in my shop lately with bad CAPS. Look on you motherboard, there should be a least a dozen capacitors (they look like tiny soda cans), pay special attention to the larger ones, especially those near the CPU. See if any other them are bulging on top or leaking crusty stuff out the top, or are cracked open on top. It would not surprise me by what you are describing if this is the problem.

All the CAPS appeared to be fine. We're thinking power supply at this point. Thanks Davedog!

Beep codes will tell you what might be wrong. It's the way a BIOS system communicates.

Beep codes are also dependent upon the type of BIOS. If it's a Phoenix Bios, here's a possible list from the HP/Compaq website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...e=documentIndex

Wow, didn't know that. Just another thing I've learned today. Thanks Marika!

I do pc support for a major US bank that has a lot of Compaq's. I agree with running MEMTEST. If it is rebooting instead of locking up, there is a very good chance it is a memory problem. That would also explain why you can't do a restore.

Why no restore capability if it's the power supply I wonder? Maybe I have both a power supply and RAM problem? What do you think?

I do pc support for a major US bank that has a lot of Compaq's. I agree with running MEMTEST. If it is rebooting instead of locking up, there is a very good chance it is a memory problem. That would also explain why you can't do a restore.

Why no restore capability if it's the power supply I wonder? Maybe I have both a power supply problem and RAM? What do you think?

When dealing with computers there's one rule to remember: troubleshoot one thing at a time. If you jump all over the place doing 10 things at once, you'll never find the problem.

Power supplies are a common problem so replace the power supply and work from there. If you continue to get the IRQ error message then something else is wrong but at least you got the power supply out of the way. One thing at a time.

Why no restore capability if it's the power supply I wonder? Maybe I have both a power supply problem and RAM? What do you think?

When dealing with computers there's one rule to remember: troubleshoot one thing at a time. If you jump all over the place doing 10 things at once, you'll never find the problem.

Power supplies are a common problem so replace the power supply and work from there. If you continue to get the IRQ error message then something else is wrong but at least you got the power supply out of the way. One thing at a time.

Makes sense. Just another lesson learned today. Once I opened it up though, I had to clean it. It was a "Hot Mess" in there.

I find this is true for diagnosing car problems as well.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

EP, looks like you are on the road again? I think Marika deserves kudos for sticking with you this whole time - bouquets and sweets for the lady....

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

When you get your new power supply, do the following:

Look at the OLD power supply inside the computer. All the plugs that lead from the power supply will have numbers stamped on them such as P1, P2 etc. Make a note by writing down, what P1, etc. are plugged into. Example, P1 might be plugged into the floppy drive, so make a list that shows P1 and then Floppy Drive, next to it. By doing this, when you remove the old power supply and install the new one, you will easily know what plug goes where.

EP, looks like you are on the road again? I think Marika deserves kudos for sticking with you this whole time - bouquets and sweets for the lady....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I'm blushing!! :wub:

Ed,

I just saw your thread for the first time today. There certainly was a lot of information to digest and I think you learned a few new tricks. I have to admit that the information being presented to you was all over the place, although well intended. Many of us have different skill levels when it comes to pcs and of course we all want to help others in need. The best advice I can give you is be methodical. Start with the simple free stuff and eliminate those first (unless you're an advanced user) and move on from there. The first thing that should have happened here was the removal of your computer case. That way you can readily see any physical changes that occur (ex. a fan not turning). Once the moving parts are elinimated then onto the software end. Be methodical and stick with one helper and let the helper properly channel the information from other posters. Otherwise it can get very confusing and you'll have bigger problems than what you started with.

Now for my guess: Probably is a bad power supply but I doubt it quit on its own. A cpu fan or video card fan not turning can blow out a portion of the motherboard which in turn can cause the sudden demise of the power supply. Or even the power supply fan itself. Believe it or not all these fans are serviceable. It does take a steady hand though. Oh and I think the vaccuum idea is ok as long as you're not touching anything with it. Just place the open case in your wife's clothes closet and go crazy with the compressed air (short blasts).....she'll love you for it.

Cleaning with alcohol....ummm....better make sure it's dry before reinserting. Best to save the alcohol for personal consumption and use the eraser like Jim suggested. And lastly, always always make sure to unplug the pc from the power strip or outlet before working on any hardware. I hope the power supply was all it was. Good luck.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Look at the OLD power supply inside the computer. All the plugs that lead from the power supply will have numbers stamped on them such as P1, P2 etc. Make a note by writing down, what P1, etc. are plugged into. Example, P1 might be plugged into the floppy drive, so make a list that shows P1 and then Floppy Drive, next to it. By doing this, when you remove the old power supply and install the new one, you will easily know what plug goes where.

Good tip there Marika, I'll be sure to do that. :) I found myself writing down where each plug went into what slot when I removed all the cards, so I agree the plugs for the PS (10X more plugs) will be a puzzle if I'm not careful. I was looking at all those wires and plugs last night and was wondering what plugs come with the new one. Being it's a Compaq PS, I shouldn't have to do any splicing or plug modifications (should be all plug and play) correct?

Thanks again Marika! I really do appreciate all the help you've given me. I realize you went the extra mile, and for that I Thank You! :)

Just curious, do you work on pc's for a living? I'm humbled by your knowledge and expertise...very impressive! ;)

Good tip there Marika, I'll be sure to do that. :) I found myself writing down where each plug went into what slot when I removed all the cards, so I agree the plugs for the PS (10X more plugs) will be a puzzle if I'm not careful. I was looking at all those wires and plugs last night and was wondering what plugs come with the new one. Being it's a Compaq PS, I shouldn't have to do any splicing or plug modifications (should be all plug and play) correct?

Thanks again Marika! I really do appreciate all the help you've given me. I realize you went the extra mile, and for that I Thank You! :)

Just curious, do you work on pc's for a living? I'm humbled by your knowledge and expertise...very impressive! ;)

If you replace the old power supply with an identical new power supply, you really won't have any problems installing the new one as long as you write down what plug goes where. NEVER splice power supply lines for a computer, those lines all carry very specific levels of voltages and different lines, even if they look the same, might have slightly different voltages. There's usually a schematic on the power supply or you can look it up at the manufacturer's website which will tell you what voltages are running through which wires. But don't overthink the plumbing because it's easy to replace a power supply so long as you make a note of what was plugged in where and you buy a matching power supply to replace the old one.

I don't work on PC's for a living. My experience with computers go back to 1971 and some of the first IBM main frame machines. I just seem to understand computers better than I understand people.

Ed,

I just saw your thread for the first time today. There certainly was a lot of information to digest and I think you learned a few new tricks. I have to admit that the information being presented to you was all over the place, although well intended. Many of us have different skill levels when it comes to pcs and of course we all want to help others in need. The best advice I can give you is be methodical. Start with the simple free stuff and eliminate those first (unless you're an advanced user) and move on from there. The first thing that should have happened here was the removal of your computer case. That way you can readily see any physical changes that occur (ex. a fan not turning). Once the moving parts are elinimated then onto the software end. Be methodical and stick with one helper and let the helper properly channel the information from other posters. Otherwise it can get very confusing and you'll have bigger problems than what you started with.

Now for my guess: Probably is a bad power supply but I doubt it quit on its own. A cpu fan or video card fan not turning can blow out a portion of the motherboard which in turn can cause the sudden demise of the power supply. Or even the power supply fan itself. Believe it or not all these fans are serviceable. It does take a steady hand though. Oh and I think the vaccuum idea is ok as long as you're not touching anything with it. Just place the open case in your wife's clothes closet and go crazy with the compressed air (short blasts).....she'll love you for it.

Cleaning with alcohol....ummm....better make sure it's dry before reinserting. Best to save the alcohol for personal consumption and use the eraser like Jim suggested. And lastly, always always make sure to unplug the pc from the power strip or outlet before working on any hardware. I hope the power supply was all it was. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice Regis! Yes, I definately learned a few things yesterday. Bigger problems than what I started with? I'm fearing that may be the case, but hoping not. The PS fan was caked with dust and the inlet holes on the PS case were covered with dust, so it doesn't surprise me the PS went out. Now why it went out after I cleaned it puzzles me. I was careful while vacuuming to not touch anything, except for the exterior of PS case, the case fan, the CPU fan and the bottom of the case. I went through half a can of air while vacuuming. Btw, there was no fan on the video card. The CPU fan was completely clogged up and the heat sink was full of dust. So I'm thinking overheating may have damaged my board or CPU. I couldnt get the memtest program to work (hours messing w/ that) and didn't get info on that till after I opened the case and saw all that dust, which I then cleaned. I didn't realize the memtest program needed to be booted in BIOS, but I did ask how that program worked a few times. Texas Jim sent me an email on that, but unfortunately I didn't get it till after I got into the case. I was just hoping after cleaning, all would be fine.

I was recommended to use the alcohol last year when I was inquiring about my video card. I did let it dry before reinserting the RAM and video card. One thing I did wrong was I tried to seat the RAM upside down at first. I didn't see the little notch that only allows it to go in one way, till after I tried it the wrong way. I didn't push on it very hard, so hopefully no damage was done to the ram or board, but...

If I screwed it up worse, alteast I screwed up this pc, and not a newer, nicer one. To be honest, I wrote this pc off last year...it's so old, it doesn't owe me a dime. If nothing else, I was able to learn a few things with the kind help here, and the school of hard knock's tuition wasn't too expensive.

This question still perplexes me. What could cause the restore function to not work? RAM or motherboard or ??? I had this problem before doing anything.

Oh and I think the vaccuum idea is ok as long as you're not touching anything with it. Just place the open case in your wife's clothes closet and go crazy with the compressed air (short blasts).....she'll love you for it.

I bet she would! :lol::lol::lol:

I once fried a hard drive by vacuuming the outside of the pc case where the holes are near the HD. I was using a regular mini-shop vac I believe. I noticed the tech was using a 3M model 497 vac when he came to my home and installed my components and did the cleaning. That prompted me to buy the Omega. It is nearly identical to the 3M, electrostatically safe, and I was lucky to find a good deal for it on eBay.

Another thing, I believe I had a power supply problem from the start, before I went into the case. Reason I say that was because I had to repeatedly hit the on/off button on the front of the pc to start it. Sometimes it would work with one push of the button, other times, 2-3 pushes. Is that typically a warning the PS is going bad, or could it be the switch?

Archived