CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Battery, Want Optima

cadillac360

I have installed a head unit on my car about 1 year ago and I sometimes noticed a clicking noise. Recently i noticed that when i roll down/up all 4 windows at once the radio loses some power and it makes bad noise. Recently i pushed all 4 window switches up and the ABS Traction Control Lights came on and the battery volts were at 10.2. Normally they are above 12V. Usually about 12.4-13.6. I have had this looked at before and my battery is about 6-7 years old, and the alternator is fine. Also when the car/battery is cold in the winter (40 degrees F or under) it has a hard time starting. I'm pretty sure its just a new battery I need, but my question is what is the part number for the battery. And has anybody used an Optima gel cell battery, because when i look it says there is no battery that fits my car.

It is a 96 deville with the 4.6 northstar.

I just realized i should check the codes. Ill post when i see them.

No PCM codes.

A replacement AC-Delco will give a 7 year warranty if memory serves me correctly, might want to look into that. If not I've had some luck with NAPA and a lot of people swear by Interstate Batteries.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

If your battery is six to seven years old , you have all of the good out of it and it isfixing to let you down. I would immediately put a new one in it while it still works. As for the OPTIMA , battery when i looked for one to fit my 96 SLS, I WAS ADVISED THAT ONE IS NOT MADE FOR MY CAR, i would assume your car andmine are the same battery wise. IT is not listed in any of the books i looked at.

I would stick to either AC Delco, or Interstate.

I have seen a lot of my friends have nothing but bad luck with the "gels".

One of my friends went through 3 in a year, and swore NEVER to touch another after that.

Big Jay ;)

Life is too short to grow up!

Try advanced autoparts, they had a listing for my 98 deville using an optima, they did not have it in stock but they were able to order it for me. I was suprised that they had a lising because Optimas own web site did not :-)..

Good luck.

Optima does make a battery for our application. I just bought a new ACDelco battery a year ago and wish I opted for the Optima instead. Our cars take a Group 75 battery, one of the most common in the automotive industry. Gels are great because there's no spilled battery acid. Side post terminal batteries (like ours) are particularly prone to battery acid leakage. If your battery tray is as rusted as mine, acid has leaked out.

Here's a link to the correct Optima battery:

http://www.apexbattery.com/optima-75-25-re...s-starter-.html

Nevermind the pricing, you can get them locally for about 120 bucks.

My brother just put an Optima battery in his Corvette. He had a problem with battery acid in it, and got some funk built-up on his side terminals. I advised him (based on positive advice from this board actually) that a gel battery was the way to go and he hasn't had a problem since.

If Interstate makes a gel battery for less, I'd be inclined to try it. But I DO plan on staying away from traditional wet bath batteries from now on. Gel batteries stay so much cleaner.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I got an interstate. The optima was 150$ and had a short warranty.

The interstate had the same CCA and Regular amps and a 5yr warranty for 96.99 so i chose the interstate. And there is no rust or leakage residue where my battery sits. Anyways its allready in and it works great.

I seem to recall that the battery size for these cars is a group 78.

I think you're right. Either way, Optima does have a battery that works (they make both Group 75 and Group 78 batteries).

However, I understand the opposite is true for the G-platform vehicles (98+ Seville and 00+ DeVille), with the battery under the rear seat. I understand Optima does NOT have a battery application for that.

Glad to hear that you got yours working again, 360.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

JasonA is right, the Optima battery is the only choice for a C5 or C6 Corvette.... those side-post Delco ones are notorious for leaking.... unfortunately, the main wiring pass-thru occurs under the battery in a Corvette... thus, when it leaks, it is disastrous.

The Optima Gel does not leak... thus saving you a 4-digit repair bill... and it works better anyway...

There is a store in the Wisconsin / Illinois area called Farm & Fleet that sells Optima for the best prices I found.....

I'm pretty sure Corvette Central and Mid-America Motorsports will mail-order an Optima Battery too, if you can't find one.....

IN all honesty, I did put an Interstate in my Dad's truck a few years ago.... he runs a PILE of electical things out of there.... battery chargers, inverters, 12v lighter adapters ganged together... and it's been a good battery, it's certainly survived some heavy f-ing duty.... but every time I take a look in there, I check for any sign of leakage...

In any case, any side-post battery should be watched CLOSELY for any sign of leakage....

Archived