CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Very Low Refrigerant - A/C Compressor Off

maremrak

Just when I thought that I will be relieved after the Radiator and Heater Core got replaced, I got Message "Very Low Refrigerant - A/C Compressor Off" while driving back from work last night and there is some funny smell inside the cabin (is Freon dangerous if inhaled?). The AC system feels loose on touch. It looks like my mechanic fixed one thing but damaged another. I re-charged the AC last year and there were no leaks at that time. Can it be that something got disconnected and that Freon is leaking? I do not have much experience with the AC system. I do have heat (message “very low refrigerant” will popup), but can I drive like that? Will I damage AC system if I drive like that through the winter (I really do not want to put any extra money right now)? Any input appreciated.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

I would not want to breath a steady diet of freon but I doubt a little leakage will hurt you. Sure you can drive it through the winter, but you will not have dehumidification for defrost. Might take a little longer to clear any humidity on the inside. You won't do any damage as the compressor will be disabled by the low pressure switch.

No it will not hurt to drive it that way unless the bearings in the compressor are wearing out. There is a belt you can get that will bypass the compressor. It is 73.9" long or 74" if I remember right.

The only think I would be worried about is if the leak was bad enough and all the refrigerant leaked out, the accumulator may become saturated with moisture.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks guys. I am convinced now that the best thing is to fix it. Now the only problem is finding the right mechanic or shop to do it, since I do not trust mine anymore. Anyone knows of any good shop in or near New York?

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

My caddy gave me the same message, the shop has been thru it, and can't figure it out, there are so many sensors and the system is fully charged,compressor runs fine when jumped and air blows cold they say it may be the climate control panel itself, better off taking it to the dealer.But I have been driving it for months now, it is no longer hot so I really don't care at this time of year if it runs or not.But since your compressor is locked off there should be no damage in driving it the way it is.

It looks like my mechanic fixed one thing but damaged another.

Have you spoken to your mechanic about this? Were I in your place I certainly would.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I already did, and he said he will fix it in next summer, since it does not pay to order Freon and dye now to test it!?! He suggested driving it like this throughout the winter, since I do not need AC now. The problem is that I can not prove anything. AC was working when he installed Radiator and the Heater Core. I need somebody else to look into my AC system. Warren, do you know any good shop on Long Island? Thanks!

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Warren, do you know any good shop on Long Island? Thanks!

After two and a half years out here in Suffolk County I *still* haven't found a nearby mechanic I can have faith in, never mind one I could recommend.

For anything beyond the mundane I make the 60 mile round trip to my old mechanic in Albertson.

A fellow in Bethpage, where I work, treated me very decently during one emergency (oil level sensor), but I've had no further dealings with him.

Baby, my last Eldorado, simply wasn't in the habit of breaking (until she enjoyed a viking funeral at 133K miles). I'm hoping this newly acquired one will treat me the same.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I already did, and he said he will fix it in next summer, since it does not pay to order Freon and dye now to test it!?!

Go to walmart, autozone, wherever and buy 3 cans of freon if he's too lazy. One or more with the dye already added. You'll pay more there but it's probably less than he'll charge you if he gets it.

Or do it yourself. It is not difficult, you just need a vacuum pump and gauges.

Archived