CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Update

terrylange

I had taken my car into the transmission shop on Monday, Sept. 18, for a SES light and current P1860 and PO741 codes. Based on information from members of this board, I knew what I was in for, and didn't anticipate a cheap fix. They did two days of testing on the car to eliminate electrical issues before dropping the transmission on day 3. I ended up needing a rebuilt torque convertor, along with various parts in the tranny itself. I was quoted $2800.00 for the fix. As of last Friday (2 weeks in the shop), the transmission was back in the car and shifting well, but now they are getting a SES light, with a PO410 code. My book shows it has to do with the secondary air injection system. They have had two separate repair shops, plus themselves try and find the source and cannot narrow it down, except to say the light and code comes on with the first start of the day, but not again after that. I am getting a little frustrated, as I have been almost 3 weeks without the car, but I don't want to accept it in this state. Yesterday, I dropped off the factory service manual so that they could review the 3 pages on P410. As of late this afternoon, they had taken it to an auto electric shop, who had diagnosed the problem as a blower motor not recirculating enough air to the catalytic convertor. I got this as third hand information, so don't know what blower motor they are talking about, but suspect it is the AIR pump. Is the replacement of this a DIY project on a 2001 DTS, or should I let the electrical shop handle it while the car is there? My shop manual is still at the transmission shop, so can't research this one myself. Does anyone think there is a connection between an R&R on a transmission and this component failing at the same time?

At $2800 you are about $500-800 away from a "brand new" rebuilt unit from GM with a 3 year warranty... and about $800-1000 more then installing a used one..

Fixing these trannies rarely makes sense... it is almost aways beter to install a used one (if you plan to dump the car) or a GM remanufactured unit (if you plan to keep it)

Good Luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I didn't know that Cadillac used AIR pumps on Northstars, and I don't think that my 1997 ETC has one. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. There is no blower for the catalytic converter for a Cadillac. It has a perforated heat shield that passes heat to the air flowing under the vehicle.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Fixing these trannies rarely makes sense... it is almost aways beter to install a used one (if you plan to dump the car) or a GM remanufactured unit (if you plan to keep it)

Good Luck

Unless you can rebuild the transaxle yourself. The rebuild kit is in the $250 price range. A few special tools are required but they can be fabricated without too much trouble.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I didn't know that Cadillac used AIR pumps on Northstars, and I don't think that my 1997 ETC has one. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. There is no blower for the catalytic converter for a Cadillac. It has a perforated heat shield that passes heat to the air flowing under the vehicle.

I do not know if they had AIR pumps on the '97 or not. I don't recall seeing anything on mine. I do see the AIR pump valves on my daughters '02 and on my '03. The pump is not there to cool the converter. It's purpose is to put O2 into the exhaust stream for emissions purposes I believe.

Fixing these trannies rarely makes sense... it is almost aways better to install a used one (if you plan to dump the car) or a GM re-manufactured unit (if you plan to keep it)

Good Luck

Unless you can rebuild the transaxle yourself. The rebuild kit is in the $250 price range. A few special tools are required but they can be fabricated without too much trouble.

Cool! do you have a source for parts for these trannys! This would be good to know and great to share... I replaced one output seal on mine and one metric bolt in the pan and it was almost $30 with my "dealer" cost discount.... The one little bolt was $8!

A good friend of mine runs a tranny shop and he tells me that the guts of these trannys are very pricey... and next to impossible to get

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I priced a rebuild kit at NAPA awhile back - The special tools are a rape-job if you buy them from Kent-Moore but most look like they can be fabricated without too much trouble.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived