CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

another engine swap question

serpentking

I recently asked about swapping the engine out of my 92 sts into my 94 SLS and that was shot down. Now I'd like to know if I can put the one from a 2000 deville into the 94 SLS and how much work will this be. Im being sold the car for 1000. It was hit in the rear and totaled. Im getting the car from an auction if I want it. The problem is that since it was called a total loss, I can only use it for parts and not actually repair it. I heard it start and it idles fine. Thanks for any info.

I think that the swap of engine, transmission, and PCM is worth a try. I would think that the things to watch out for are the change in platform. The motor supports may be different, etc. but I think that this can be worked out if it is a problem at all. Watch out for differences in the wiring harness; if there is a deal-breaker, it will be in the way the PCM is networked with the rest of the car.

Others with experience with both model years can give you a more definitive answer.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Its more trouble than its worth. You would need to use the PCM, Transmission and more...The problem then becomes how the PCM communicates with the rest of the computers. The only engine you can use is the 93 to 95 I think.. 1996 is the OBDII system and I dont think you can use it...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

There are minor but significant physical differences in the engines. The sensors are different and different sizes.The reluctor wheel is different. It is not a bolt in swap.

A while back someone did swap one. They had to modify things to work They did not give details and have not posted since. They said they got it to work by fabricating as needed. If you are able to modify parts...and figure out what needs modifying...it's possible.

BodybyFisher put his finger on a zinger: The OBD swicth in 1996. Other than that...

I think the year models for the second-generation Northstar are 1995 through 1999. The first-generation was 1993-1994, I believe. The platform change from K to D was in 1998. The safest swap to a 1994 SLS would be from 1993-1994 Seville or Eldorado with VIN Y engine. Next safest would be a VIN 9 engine/transmission/PCM from 1993-1994 model years, third safest would be a second-generation VIN Y Northstar from the E/K platform, 1995-1999 Seville or DeVille, or 1995-1999 Eldorado. I will bow to BodybyFisher's obvious expertise in predicting problems in transplanting a VIN 9 engine or a second-generation Northstar, and note the caveat about the OBD I/II switch in 1996.

Note that 5 hp is not a noticeable difference in a 270 hp car. My experience in driving VIN 9 and VIN Y cars is that you don't notice much difference except at WOT above 4,000 rpm, and the VIN Y cars get better gas mileage. The VIN Y cars have slightly more torque to the wheels off-idle but that's not really noticeable.

I was looking in a 1994 Chilton for thermostat rankings a little while ago (didn't find any) and noticed that Chilton says that the 295 hp (VIN 9) Northstar appeared first in the 1992 Allante. It must have been a year-end thing, because the Northstar didn't appear in the Seville and Eldorado until 1993. The Chilton shows all 1993 Allantes as having the VIN 9 engine.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I remember when this topic would come up when the Guru was around he would simply say, to paraphrase, ‘forget about it!’

Perhaps one option would be to sell the engine on ebay for a couple of grand, especially if it has low miles. Sell the parts on ebay and you'll probably make a decent profit. Otherwise, if I remember correctly, I saw someone advertising rebuilt Northstars for $2,995.

If you are talking about a long block, i.e. no EGR, intake mainfold and fuel injection, then the Northstars are identical from 1993-1999. The only difference between VIN Y and VIN 9 engines is the intake cams. Thus you can use any engine from 1993-1999 if you use the EGR and fuel injection from your car. A VIN 9 engine can be used i fyou change the intake cams and lifters, but you will have a break-in period where you limit your RPMs for 500 miles. The 2000 Northstar is a redesign and can't be used in older cars. BodybyFisher, is this correct?

The heads are different from 1994 to 1995 - that's when the EGR rounting changed - you can still see the EGR passages in the '95+ heads but they are sealed off at the intake manifold interface.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Arrrgh. I was assuming that the plumbing change was in the intake manifold and the heads were the same.

One other option is depending on how much $$ and time it would take to fix the rear end of the 00' doing that. It also depends on the laws in your state as if that is possible. I know in WI we can take a vehicle titled for salvage (or considered totaled) fix it up and take if for and inspection to get re-titled as OK to run on the street again.

Archived