CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Leaky sunroof 93 seville

STSSCOTT

Hi All:

Anybody ever deal with a leaky sunroof? Are there more than 2 drains in the front of the channel?

any help is appreciated

scott e

I think there are 4 drains all together, one in every corner. Check all the drains for blockage. Use compressed air to blow them out being careful not to blow the hoses off the sunroof drain.

Use compressed air to blow them out being careful not to blow the hoses off the sunroof drain.

I think you would be safer using some .080 weed wacker line to rod it out rather than compressed air.

I second the advice of using weedwacker line over compressed air. Many have used compressed air only to have the line separate from the connectors and then the water floods the headliner.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I also have a leak. Does anyone know where are the drains located? Do I have to peel back the headliner? My headliner gets wet near the top of the right rear door which goes all the way down to the right side of my rear seat back. The water then collects below the rear seat. This only began happening after the car was parked for two weaks below a tree last spring.

I also have a leak. Does anyone know where are the drains located? Do I have to peel back the headliner? My headliner gets wet near the top of the right rear door which goes all the way down to the right side of my rear seat back. The water then collects below the rear seat. This only began happening after the car was parked for two weaks below a tree last spring.

The drains are located in the corners. Your drain is probably just plugged with tree crap. The hose sounds like it may have pulled loose from the drain or is split. The adhesive could also be gone around where the drain comes out of the sunroof housing. I would see if the drain is just plugged as described, the worst case would be that you have to pull the headliner down to see what is happening.

I think you can see the line if it will go through the grommet that attaches to the body on the bottom.

I might add that the rear drains are not as easy to get to from the top. By looking at my manual, you could probably get to them easier by removing the rear pillar covers, maybe, depending on which model you have. I have never had to get to the rear drains.

I had and solved this problem on my 92 eldorado last year. There are 4 drains, one in each corner as stated. The thing to check first is where two rear drains exit out the trunk. If you pull back the truck liner you should be able to find two rubber hoses, one on each side, going into the trunk floor. If you pull these out there will be a little rubber peice on the end that allows water to go in, but keeps dirt from the road from getting slinged into the hoses. This is where the majority of my problem was. It seems that these same peices that are supposed to keep crap from getting up into them, trap crud coming down the lines. I first manually cleaned out this stoppage. If using an air compressor (which I did), I would blow from this exit end of the hoses, back towards the sunroof (with the sunroof open). I believe it would be nearly impossible to blow the hoses off the sunroof track using this method. I could get my hoses off the sunroof track if I tried, they are tightly connected! Of course I would start out slow with the compressed air. After cleaning out the back drains at the hose ends, then blowing air from the hose ends I found more crap that had blown out onto my hood! Next I blew out the front two hoses carefully, from the sunroof since I could not find where these hoses exited. I did take the headliner down, which is the ONLY way to see the rear drains on the sunroof. But I never actually needed to do this step at all my hoses were in great shape, still very rubbery, on a 14 year old car. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Here's a link with a similiar issue. Davedog's original post is linked at the bottom as well.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...714&hl=leak

And this is another good one to read:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...533&hl=leak

And lastly:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry27816

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Here's a link with a similiar issue. Davedog's original post is linked at the bottom as well.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...714&hl=leak

And this is another good one to read:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...533&hl=leak

And lastly:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry27816

I just cleared mine ,the back drain houses were clogged and all you have to do is carefully pull the hoses that go through the trunk at the floor, and unclog it,by squeezeing and working it through, make sure you have something to catch the goop.If that does'nt work then you will have to take the side post panel at the back door windows, and pull it away from the post and pull the headliner down a little to see where the hose is connected to the drain at top.pull and then Blow into it. It is not that bad.It is easier than it sounds

Hi All:

Thanks for all your input. I cleared out all 4 drain tubes and ran water across the sunroof with a hose....and so far no more leaks. Did both, run the weedwacker line through and then blew them, out with air

Hey that's good news. Glad you got it fixed. Water leaks can be a big mess. My rear seat will never look like it used to.....a real shame.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived