CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radios Deville 1996

mikeal1892

Hello,

I was wondering what radios might be interchangeable for my new 96 Deville ? I have looked around on ebay and other sites and the backs for the wires all look the same. What Im wanting is just a base unit CD player. So I was looking at the cd players from 98 Devilles as well as 00 Devilles and the all look the same and infact some reflect my radio its self. This is my 3rd Deville in this body style and the radios in the all have sucked.

Please Help,

Michael

Very nice Mike, Good Luck with it!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hello,

I was wondering what radios might be interchangeable for my new 96 Deville ? I have looked around on ebay and other sites and the backs for the wires all look the same. What Im wanting is just a base unit CD player. So I was looking at the cd players from 98 Devilles as well as 00 Devilles and the all look the same and infact some reflect my radio its self. This is my 3rd Deville in this body style and the radios in the all have sucked.

Please Help,

Michael

Nice looking Deville. I have a similar looking '97 with the same Chrome Wheels.

I guess you always had the base model of the Deville with the standard radio, because the Concours and D'Elegance models had an upgraded sound system which was very good (this upgraded radio was available as an option on the base Devilles though).

The '96 Deville had the same base radio as the '97-'99 Devilles. I have a '97 Deville with the base radio and it is just okay, but I have a dealer installed trunk mounted 6 disk CD Player as well. Cadillac produced a 12 disk trunk mounted Delco Electronics CD Unit that hooks up to the radio on your car. You might be able to find a used version. The upgraded radio that was standard on the '96-'99 Concours (and '97-'99 D'Elegance) and was an option on the '96-'99 Base Deville was the ActiveAudio Sound System. That is an excellent radio with 11 Speakers. There was an additional upgrade to the ActiveAudio sound system for those model years that had DSP (Digital Signal Processing) which produced various sound staging effects (in '98, that radio also had RDS, WB, etc.). Also, the upgraded radios in '98 & '99 had single slot CD Players as well. If I had known how ordinary the base radio was, I would have definitely ordered one of the ActiveAudio radios.

Yes ,

My 98 SLS has the Bose System really thats what I got rid of my old 96 for was the bose and athe sunroof and 100k less miles on it but nothing beats the bose!

Michael

Beauty, Mike ... sweet deal.

Are you going to gamble and chance the STS's HG repair,

or sell her?

Enjoy your new toy ... I love the excitement of bringing an older

ride up to par.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I havent yet decided. I might sell it and just drive the 96 for a while and wait until next summer and get a 06 DTS one can already find them for 23k on Ebay. So hard to say what they might be going for just a little over a year old.

Michael -

I rented a 2006 DTS recently and wasn't too impressed. The new Caddies just seem to be to "import-like" to me. The interior reminded me of a BMW or Lexus rather than a Cadillac. In your position I would probably look for a 04 DTS. I do like the 96 DeVille, however :D

Charles

Charles

Hey,

that looks just like my car. same color & interior. Is it the greenish color. Richie says it's like his, but he & I had a discussion a few months ago, and he & I have different colors. - so is your's seafoam green with a emerald green/seafoam green interior?

I "upgraded" my base radio (the cassette where the bass/treble/volume knobs crack & fall off) with an active audio RDS system. it wasn't easy. (radio has white & orange buttons)

Hey,

that looks just like my car. same color & interior. Is it the greenish color. Richie says it's like his, but he & I had a discussion a few months ago, and he & I have different colors. - so is your's seafoam green with a emerald green/seafoam green interior?

I "upgraded" my base radio (the cassette where the bass/treble/volume knobs crack & fall off) with an active audio RDS system. it wasn't easy. (radio has white & orange buttons)

Winterset,

I remember that discussion. The exact color of my Deville is Silver Mist, but if you look at it from different angles and different intensities of light, it gives off a greenish tint.

Regarding the Active Audio Radio, did you upgrade your car with a Cadillac unit. The reason I ask is the Base Deville with the standard radio has 6 speakers whereas the Active Audio system has 11 speakers/amplifiers. I wish I had the Active Audio system. The dealer did throw in a 6 disk CD Player, but I've had Caddy's with the upgraded sound system (i.e. bose) and there's nothing like them.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I upgraded my standard cadillac cassette to the Cadillac active audio CD. I added the 5 other speakers. It was extremely difficult, & I would not recommend anyone to do. I made my own wireing harness & all. I was happy that the car had the slot behind the back seat to hold the amp. As soon as I tapped into the serial data line (purple wire), the amp powered up, & I had tunes. I did this about 3 years ago or so. looks factory throughout. only thing was the treeters are not on the back door (the panel didn't have the cutouts for them, so they are hidden on the rear shelf with the subwoofers. The top dash had the placeholder for the single speaker. Althought it's a 1999 radio from a caddy, when I go into diagnostic mode, I get "NO IRD Data" - other than that, everything works 100% - even the trunk 12 disk. RDS, DSP,PTY, chimes, theftlock, steering wheel controls, Weather Band, etc. all function 100%

Also, an interestering tidbit. the time is not kept in the radio like many cars. When you connect another radio to the car, the car sends the time thru the radio (utilizing the serial data line (purple wire) - so the new radio "displayed" the correct time.

I rented a 2006 DTS recently and wasn't too impressed. The new Caddies just seem to be to "import-like" to me. The interior reminded me of a BMW or Lexus rather than a Cadillac. In your position I would probably look for a 04 DTS. I do like the 96 DeVille, however :D

Charles

so no more cheap plastics, something that isn't quite leather, gaps that are to wide, and ugly looking radio?

The interior of my 98 looks so dated and cheap compared to what is offered in even a Chevy today.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I much prefer the interior of my 99 STS over the interior of the 06 DTS. I like the electroluminescent instruments and the radio stack better.

ah see thats when the went to the new Seville interior, I may have to agree with you there.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived