CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sikorsky on oil consumption

green99std

Hi -

Recent Sikorsky column responded to Cadillac oil consumption question by offering the PCV valve as a possible fix and that GM is aware of this.

Could someone more knowledgable about the N* comment ? (see att'chd).

Thanks...green99std

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I have a late-model Cadillac Escalade that seems to be using more oil than it should. I changed the brand of oil I was using and switched to a higher viscosity, all to no avail. The vehicle still seems to be burning a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. While many people may think this is OK, I am not happy about it. My service manager doesn't know what else to do. Can you help?

A: While you don't say what year your Escalade is or note the type of engine, there is a good chance your car is among the GM vehicles that have been plagued by excessive oil consumption.

A number of 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC full-sized pickups and SUVs, along with some Cadillac Escalades with V-8 engines, have had this problem. General Motors does have a fix for this and I'm surprised your service manager didn't mention it to you. The oil use in many cases can be traced to a positive crankcase ventilation, or PCV, valve whose flow rate is restricted under certain driving conditions.

The remedy is to change the type of PCV valve being used from one with a spring and plunger -- most probably what you have -- to one with a fixed orifice that has no moving parts. In most cases this will solve the problem. Your GM dealer should have the part.

In the unlikely event this doesn't help, you'll have to look elsewhere for the cause.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely somebody on this board would have heard of this if it were true. I don't know who Sikorski is, or where this column is posted (helicopter monthly?). Anyway, I don't want to see this post drop out of sight before bbobinski gets a chance to comment. It seems to me that if it were that simple, a TSB would have been issued at least. Let's all hope that the snow melts soon so Guru gets off that infernal snowmobile.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi -

Recent Sikorsky column responded to Cadillac oil consumption question by offering the PCV valve as a possible fix and that GM is aware of this.

Could someone more knowledgable about the N* comment ? (see att'chd).

Thanks...green99std

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I have a late-model Cadillac Escalade that seems to be using more oil than it should. I changed the brand of oil I was using and switched to a higher viscosity, all to no avail. The vehicle still seems to be burning a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. While many people may think this is OK, I am not happy about it. My service manager doesn't know what else to do. Can you help?

A: While you don't say what year your Escalade is or note the type of engine, there is a good chance your car is among the GM vehicles that have been plagued by excessive oil consumption.

A number of 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC full-sized pickups and SUVs, along with some Cadillac Escalades with V-8 engines, have had this problem. General Motors does have a fix for this and I'm surprised your service manager didn't mention it to you. The oil use in many cases can be traced to a positive crankcase ventilation, or PCV, valve whose flow rate is restricted under certain driving conditions.

The remedy is to change the type of PCV valve being used from one with a spring and plunger -- most probably what you have -- to one with a fixed orifice that has no moving parts. In most cases this will solve the problem. Your GM dealer should have the part.

In the unlikely event this doesn't help, you'll have to look elsewhere for the cause.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Escalade does not have a Northstar powertrain.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

When the dealer starts an oil usage test they do put in a new PCV valve as well. It is a normal maintenance item for that matter. It is true that if you overfill the oil as frequently occurs more will go out the pcv valve. There is not a new design of pcv valve for the NS that I know of; it works as designed. The problem in that situation is overfilling the oil.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My fault, I thought the Escalade had a Northstar. Sorry Just can't keep up anymore.

So, is that what I have in my 2004 Silverado? It's 5.3L. Or was that the 6.0L that was in my '99 Silverado? At any rate, should I be watching for abnormal oil useage in either truck?

The 'Lade comes with a pumped up 6.0. 320 hp?

The other GM Burbs, Trucks run the same engines more or less......

On some of the truck sites there has been many posts on high oil usage

on GMs 6.0-5.3s. The fix for most was changing the PCV valve with a

smaller orifice one.

There IS a GM TSB/fix out there ! ................geo

YA wanna talk oil ....My 96 Deville Northstar used 1 qt. every 1000 miles!

Ran like a top and never a problem in 100k miles ...................geo

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Hi -

This guy writes a syndicated auto column printed in the local Sunday rag

we get now, answering questions and giving advise on how to "Drive it Forever".

Don't know much more about him than that...saw the headline refering

to Caddy's and wanted to run his comments by those on the board having

lots of Northstar experience as a sanity check.

Thanks for commenting...

green99std

Archived