CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rotors

JIMDTS

I have been checking on different types & brands of rotors.

Here's an interesting tidbit of info. I found out from a very reliable source.

North America has one major brake foundry. If you purchase premium rotors from bendix, raybestos or wagner they are all the same. I find this interesting I'll do some price checking & order the cheapest brand I can find in premium rotors Brake pads are another story I also learned that on the dts cadillacs they have been using ceramic pads since 1999 I'm sure it's other cadillacs too..I just didn't bother to find out all the models involved

Cheers

Jim

I have heard the same thing about batteries, only 2 or 3 manufaturers in the U.S.

I assume (hope) the ceramic pads are on the DTS only and not the DHS?

Not sure about the dhs I didn't ask about those but I imagine they are the same both cars have the same JL9 brake systems all the devilles share the same brakes along with other gm cars with the exception of the limo's they use the j55 system.. I checked for the 01 dts I found the best combination for me is raybestos premium rotors( lowest priced) & bendix ceramic pads so the car will be fine with that setup I checked into brembo and the advice from experts is that I would gain nothing but problems with that setup on the dts so I can live with that now I have to install them when I get some time the brakes are not that bad I probably could turn the rotors but it's not worth it with 48k on them from what I was told the material cadillac chose to use in 2001 was crap thats why the rotors are rusted and it's japan made stuff go figure an american car with jap parts

Jim

I put premium Bendix rotors on my wifes minivan, and premium Bosch Ceramic pads. After 40K miles of mostly highway driving, the pads are worn to the backing plate and the rotors are so worn down they are too thin to be turned. I'm not sure if the rotors or pads were the problem, but that's a combination I'll never use again.

I've heard the same for OEM replacement rotors. Performance ones on the other hand, come from different manufacturers. My Baer Decelerotors are made in Canada I think. Highly recomend them too, as well as a good set of carbon metalic pads.

I've got a 1997 ETC that I bought new with 117,000 miles on it. The original pads still hav e30% life left. The factory pads are metallic for the Eldorado and Sevillle that year. Stay with the Delco parts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

From what I understand the rotors today are much thinner than on say cars 15 or 20 years ago light weight my a-- they are just cost savings measures I can live with changing rotors & pads every 40 to 50k ANd from the mechanics that do them tell me if you turn them their is a good chance they will warp do to the thickness of the rotors No meat on them One good thing is bendix pads have a warranty that you can get another set when used up or problems and the auto shop I'm buying the raybestos rotors from are giving a 5yr warranty on them so I figure I can't go wrong other than I may have to do another brake job on the car in the near future I figed the cost for pads and rotors on all 4 corners is about $389 that's much cheap than going to the dealer I figure a few hors and I'll be done most of the time will be spent cleaning up the hubs removing the corrosion that should eat the most time

Jim

Jim

The car now has Delco pads and rotors the rotors rust real easy and the pads have maybe 25k on them and not much meat left on them the car is now a second car my wife does not drive it much so the rotors never really get cleaned off by braking it's driven at all slow city driving and with a very light stops so the rears are rarly never use I took the car out and really banged on the brakes it made a world of difference they are clean now it took a couple days of real hard stops but I'm going to try non delco it can't get much worse than it is now..

I used Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads when I changed rotors & pads about 30K ago. Brake dust is severly reduced from the previous ?? pads and I have been happy with the slow downs.

All is still well.

Just had some brake work done today/yesterday. The tech talked to and notified me that GM is switching to all, or nearly all, ceramic.

The top 2 reasons mentioned in the memo he recieved are brakes squealing and dust. With rusting another problem.

I have ceramic pads from NAPA on my car, and they do their job of stoping but there are some complaints, one being squealing, the guy at the garage and I are going through all sorts of ideas trying to get rid of the sqeak since ceramic shouldn't sqeak.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived