CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk will not open!!

petrov

I cannot open the trunk lid on my 93 STS. Came back after a long trip, opened the trunk then moved the car and tried to open the trunk again with no luck. Here are the issues:

1) do not hear the release relay when pressing the remote trunk or glovebox button

2) my key does not work as it will only enter about halfway into the key cylinder (something must be broken off or jammed in there....should have looked into fixing this long ago as I did fear this might happen one day :blink: )

3) I cannot locate the D7 fuse which according to the manuals is the associated fuse. Its a Canadian car and I looked in the front LH compartment but there is no fuse in this position, the manual seem to reference this position as a export harness only but I cannot find a reference to another position for it. Where is it for my car??

4) I believe the Maxi block fuse is working as the antenna, mirrors and rear defroster continue to function and these appear to be off the same circuit with the trunk.

Please help...I started to try and remove the back seats to find another way in, is there????? My darn wallet and other essentials are stuck in there, what a frustrating issue! :(

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

Petrov

A locksmith might be your only bet. If your Seville is like my Eldorado, the rear seat back has to be unbolted from . . . . you guessed it! Inside the trunk!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I think the Seville is different. Pull the lower rear seat cushion....then remove the bolts and remove the upper seat.

You would then have some access to the trunk.

I managed to pull out the lower seat cushion, had read earlier in the manual that the back seats were fastened by nuts inside the truck but was hoping anyway to find some securing bolts contrary to the manual for the seat backs but alas it is not to be as Poobah also referred.

Does anyone know if there a fuse somewhere for this trunk release and if so where the heck is it?!?!

Starting to also wonder that even if I call a locksmith to look at the cylinder, it might not open as the trunk may have been slammed shut (not by me of course but by one of my passengers who closed it while I was looking under the hood) and may be stuck. :(

Update: I can hear a relay clicking in the left rear behind the back seats when I use the keys remote for the trunk release but nothing at all from the glovebox button. I fear that the soleniod could be done. Has anyone needed to replace a soleniod on there car due to a slammed trunk lid?? Just curious. <_<

Called a locksmith and he said to try and lubricate the key cylinder which has resulted in no change. The spray nozzle goes in just as far as the key does and hits something. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask for an estimate as I don't know how to proceed.

Fuse position anyone????????????

Extremely frustrated but yet saving money due to the wallet being locked in the trunk...thats the only funny part. :P

Petrov

Though the problem looks mechanical... did you try t odisconnect/reconnect the battery? Jus a guess <_>

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Try putting pressure on the trunk, maybe sitting on it as you hit the release button. That would take pressure off of the actuator in the event it was jammed. Just a shot in the dark.

VICTORIOUS! :D

I finally managed to open the trunk with much persistance today.

I gained entry by removing the screws to the license lights holder which allowed my hand to gain entry to the back of the key cylinder. (very tight squeeze...good thing I wasn't born with the hands of a wrestler! lol)

With my hand inside I tripped the alarm by nudging the Universal Theft Deterrent connector, I was trying to pry on the trunk release cable on the back of the cylinder but set off the alarm. Once I shut off the alarm with my remote I heard a relay click and I began to lift and press down on the truck and it opened.

I think the alarm sensor reset it just as it may have with adallak's suggestion of disconnecting/reconnecting the battery (although I did not attempt this as I resolved it).

What a relief of not only getting inside the trunk but it also appears to be operating correctly again. Won't tell the wife about it though just yet, because if she knows I have my wallet again the cards might get a workout...lol

Thanks for the suggestions and yes I am replacing the defective trunk key cylinder. My passenger may have inadvertently closed it too hard, so I will be sure that I keep an eye on future closings. Hard lesson learned!!

Cheers,

Petrov

Cool! So if you had provoked the alarm some other way and had shut id down with remote it would work as well?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Cool! So if you had provoked the alarm some other way and had shut id down with remote it would work as well?

Not 100% sure about that as I was trying to jimmy the trunk release cable which is attached to the back of the key cylinder. In pulling on the cable and trying to remove the retaining clip (which holds the UTD connector in place) the alarm went off and the cable fastener had moved slightly as well on the back of the key cylinder.

Cannot confirm that theory and wouldn't want to set up to try either as this was headache that I was scared of costing some big bucks! lol

But I do think it was a combination of the cable movement, alarm sensor resetting a relay and lifting the trunk lid to release some pressure.

Interesting question though as you wonder after the alarm is tripped by any deterrent sensor and you reset it...does the pcm then go through a quick communication with all sensors to ensure they are back/confirmed to a standby status (functioning) before arming again??

Archived