CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SQUEAKY SUSPENSION UPDATE

jmulholl

A FEW DAYS BACK I POSTED ABOUT MY DEALER WANTING APPROXIMATELY THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS TO FIX SQUEAK IN FRONT SUSPENSION. RECOMMENDED NEW STRUTS ALL AROUND, FRONT MOTOR MOUNT, BUSHINGS ETC. I TRIED EVERYTHING TO FIND THE SQUEAK. MAN I GREASED DARNED NEAR EVERYTHING UNDER THE FRONT END. NO LUCK. IN DESPERATION I TRIED A SMALL WALKIE TALKIE STRAPPED TO THE VARIOUS PARTS. TURNS OUT IT WAS THE LOWER SPRING TOWER INSULATOR THAT HAD DRIED OUT SOMEWHAT AN WAS SQUEAKING LIKE HELL. THE UPPER INSULATOR WAS ALSO MAKING SOME NOISE. FOUR OUNCES OF MINERAL OIL, SOME GREASE, AND TRIMING A SMALL PIECE OF RUBBER WITH A KNIFE HAS FIXED THE SQUEAK. I NOTICED THAT SOME VERY SMALL GRAVEL HAD GOTTEN UNDER THE EDGE OF THE INSULATOR AND WAS MAKING A CRUCHY SOUND. NOW MY WIFE WANTS ME TO STOP THE SQUEAK COMING FROM HER MOTHER. (JUST KIDDING) BEST REGARDS AND THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. DR. JAY

If you get desperate and try the walkie-talkie thing on your Mother-In-Law, let us know how much and where you put the mineral oil to quiet down that squeak.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Hmmm I've had the same problem for the past year or two.....or three. I only hear the squeak while going over bumps during slow left turns. I just went outside and sprayed a liberal amount of silicone on the front left lower spring insulator boot and tested it on our slow left bump at the edge of the driveway. Well.....what do you know......the squeak wasn't there. I'll have to keep an eye/ear on it. Thanks for the post Dr. Jay

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

drjay, can fill me in on exactly what you did? my 99 deville is sqeaking and creaking all the time, it sounds like it is coming from the center of each rear wheel. even the slightest push down on the trunk lets out a "creak". i 've attempoted to silicon everything i could see to no avail.

drjay, can fill me in on exactly what you did? my 99 deville is sqeaking and creaking all the time, it sounds like it is coming from the center of each rear wheel. even the slightest push down on the trunk lets out a "creak". i 've attempoted to silicon everything i could see to no avail.

Sounds like a classic rear knuckle bushing gone bad. Unfortunately the bushing cannot be purchased from the rest of the knuckle. The approximate cost is $330 each. If you grab ahold of the wheel well on the afflicted side and pull up does it make the sound as well?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I happened to see some "White Grease" in aerosol form at Wal-Mart the other night and picked up a can. I bought it specifically looking for a product that would "swell" the rubber suspension bushings. On very moist rainy days (like we're having today in North Carolina), the suspension is VERY quiet and the road is more isolated. On bone dry days, I can hear and feel more of the road. Think the white grease, as it's called, might help my bushings out?

I also intend to try to spray both strut bushings well with the grease.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The mother in law sqeak is not possible to fix. She was designed that way. Keep in mind that blood is thicker than water, even DISTILLED water! :lol: My solution, always go into the garage and clean and re-arrange my tools and put them in size order. If I need to be in the same room with her, I put my Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Cancelling headphones on and just bob my head when she looks my way. She is a know-it-all because she watches the Home & Garden Channel and her husband worked on cars 35 years ago but no useful information ever comes out of her mouth even though she constantly gives me her unsolicited opinions and information. You would think that since 1992 she would get a clue that I am not interested. If I can't hear her, I'm good! :lol: Not fixable unless Doctor Phil has a solution.

Sorry for the rant, its another button of mine..... I am sure most of you have WONDERFUL mother-in-laws that don't squeak...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I happened to see some "White Grease" in aerosol form at Wal-Mart the other night and picked up a can. I bought it specifically looking for a product that would "swell" the rubber suspension bushings. On very moist rainy days (like we're having today in North Carolina), the suspension is VERY quiet and the road is more isolated. On bone dry days, I can hear and feel more of the road. Think the white grease, as it's called, might help my bushings out?

Hi Jason,

I have a can of that stuff. Good on most anything but, if i remember correctly, not on rubber. I think it deteriorates it but I'm not positive. Every mechanic I've talked with only suggests silicone spray. Silicone fills and swells rubber without pulling it apart. Guys like BobD could probably give us the technical insight on silicone. It's not just for boob jobs anymore. LOL

"Burns" rubber

I have a can of that stuff. Good on most anything but, if i remember correctly, not on rubber. I think it deteriorates it but I'm not positive. Every mechanic I've talked with only suggests silicone spray. Silicone fills and swells rubber without pulling it apart. Guys like BobD could probably give us the technical insight on silicone. It's not just for boob jobs anymore. LOL

Oh crap...that's what I thought I was getting, silicone. White grease is not it, huh? :(

I guess I'll have to keep looking. Maybe I'll try Advance Auto or Pepboys. Thanks for the tip!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason,

The way I understand it is Silicone grease is safe for rubber because it does not make it swell, while Petroleum grease does make rubber swell. Not sure if lithium grease will make rubber swell or not? If it contains any petroleum distillates, I imagine it will, and I believe it does.

Archived