CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How long will the Caddy last?

Cupillac

Just wondering how long a Cadillac can last? Do the Northstar engines keep trucking along with the proper maintenance? I don't want my Caddy to die.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

With proper maintenance, there are many members here who have Northstar's with 200+K miles. Some have more than that - I recall someone posting an ebay auction for a Deville with 300K miles not long ago!

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Some people on this board have 200,000 or more. I remember seeing a Caddy on Ebay that had 500,000 miles. I have only just begun with 104,000 on my 94 Concours. The key is proper maintenance and a WOT every once in a while to keep her cleaned out.

I purchase my caddy due to being low miles, and the fact that in my family we have a total of six (now 7 Cad's) 4 w/northstar, 3 w/4.9's, all with over 200k on the clock.

As a strange point of advice, the 2 (1 northstar, 1 4.9) that my grandmother primarily drove (who does drive like a little old lady) run rougher and have a mild ping and get worse milage when compared to the ones my father and grandfather drive who both have a mildly heavy foot on the take off....the thought with all of us seems to be there is serious merit to the idea that jumping on it once in a while will keep it running clean and smooth.

And to all those who care, I dumped my mercedes s500 coupe (270k miles and still a nice car) for a 93 seville (base) with 35000 miles ($4500), I have always been a cad fan, but like the euro handling. I drove an STS in 92 after the redesign and was not impressed enough to buy it, and have never understood all of the hype about how great these cars are. When I saw the 93, for the price and milage, I figured "cant go wrong for a back-up car, at least I know it will last"...after 3 days of ownership, it has become the primary driver...I love it.

T

my 93 STS was 9 years old with 193k miles and was still going strong when I traded it.

In my experience with the 92 and 96, the repairs required go up a step function after 110-115k miles, and/or 6-8 years. We also saw similar results on the Honda, which required significant repair expenses after 8 years/90k miles. Can you keep it going? Probably yes. But it can approach the same expense level as a new car on a per month basis.

The key to great auto preservation is not to have the car be a daily driver. But I WANT to drive my Caddy every day, so I know that eventually the new CTS will need replacement, and try to plan accordingly.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

As long as you are willing to spend the money, the car will go. The question is how much are you willing to spend. I personally believe that for most people, after about four to six years, a car is not worth keeping. If you are willing to do the repairs yourself, then that number can be significantly longer. After a while though, you will have a hard time locating parts after about 10-20 years.

My dream car has always been the STS. I began saving when I was 14, and that dream came true when I purchased my 1996 STS, and there is no way I'm letting that car go........Never!

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

I had an 88 DeVille with 187,000 miles and it started blowing smoke. I was told it was because the returns were plugged. It was my favorite car and ran great and brought $450 at auction.

My 93 DeVille has 199,600 miles and still rides great like a Caddy. It gets well over 20 mpg on the Interstate and high teens average. The oil, after 3000 miles, still looks good...not real dark and is down a little over half a quart. I've replaced the water pump several times(I got 2 bad ones in a row that lasted 1000 miles each) and one set of front wheel bearings. I've had my best luck with aftermarket

rotors. GM rotors didn't last 20k miles. My SSS(Speed Sensitive Suspension) light has been on for the last 40k miles. The paint is peeling on the front of the hood and there's rust in the door corners. The muffler is original!

I'm keeping it as a winter "beater" until an expensive repair comes along and then...who knows. It owes me nothing.

Exedman

Can say about Caddys but when I was driving a SHO there were several on a post similiar to this one who had 200K on them. My 70 Trans Am was a daily driver for 27 years and it still tuns strong. Stronger if you can get some decent gas for it but that's another topic.

As far as the Northstar it seems like it is a bullet (tough as hell) but require maintenance like everything else.

Jim White

I've got a 76 Coupe deville That still runs great. :)

I just dont let her out in these Minnesota Winters.

Stormtrooper1

Do you have any pictures of your '76 Coupe DeVille that you could post?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I sure do have some pictures-

This is the best one i have off hand, I need to pop on my other computer to get some more... I know i have one of the 76 and my old 96 Deville parked side by side.

cadi.jpg

Mike

I'll be back with more.

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville

I have a 95 sls that I was actively racing at 200,000 miles, averaging an 140 passes on both the 1/8 and 1/4 drag strip. I changed the engine and transmission at that mileage because I would have to remove the unit to replace a $25 solenoid in the transmission. I didn't want to pay $750 to remove the unit only to have the transmission fail me later. I put in an sts engine & transmission because of the additional horsepower and lower gear ratio. I still have the original engine & transmission. The transmission solenoids were the only repair that I had to do in 200,000 miles of driving. I think these cadillacs with the northstar system are great.

Archived