CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HOw to install new steering wheel?

Is it easy to uninstall the steering wheel on a 1994 Cadillac STS?

The one i have now is pretty worn out and instead of the original i thought i'd save $$ and buy a sporty looking 3 spoke wheel...might not match but who cares :P

its just that I'm not quite sure as to how to remove the original? if i figure that out

I'm sure re-installing the new one will be a walk in the park

Thanks

The last time I removed a GM steering wheel was some time ago but I don't think they have changed much. There is a "special tool" required to remove a split ring retainer. Like most "special tools" the job can be done without it (I did it) but as I recall it took two screwdrivers, three hands, numerous curse words and an hour or two before I finally got it. Next time I will make the "special tool" first. It is hard to explain it but you'll see what I mean when you get in there. Just be carfull removing the air bag. See and earlier post with the precautions and proper proceedure to disable it.

right, it was a headache to remove that retaining ring... the special tool looks like a pliers with two orthogonal needles, very helpful though.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The more I think about it, the more I think that retaining ring is below the steering wheel, prior to the turn signal assembly so it should not be a problem for you. You might need a steering wheel puller if the wheel does not come off easily but that can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

thanks but im still puzzled? this special tool that you guys speak of?

where can i find one and what is it called???

can i get it at a pep boys...kragen....and how much do you think it costs?

also about the air bag.....should i unplug the battery?

or the Airbag fuse ????

Make sure to unplug the airbag - look for the yellow harness under the dash by the steering column. Pulling the fuse alone is not enough as the module retains enough power to fire the bag even with the fuse pulled.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived