CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chrysler 300c vs Cadillac CTS/STS/DTS?

movement

I was buying a Jeep Wrangler for my wife and mentioned I'd was soon going to get me a new Caddy... The salesman hipped me to the new 2005 300c!!!

At first I just blew him off but once I saw it and did some looking... OMG, this thing kicks *smurf*...

What do you guys think? Does it compete?

-Randy

no doubt that 300 is a beautiful and tight ride. It's price point is very nice too. FOr about $34G you can get the top of the line special edition, which would be a worthy ride for sure.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Compare the '05 300c to the '05 STS. With the Hemi V-8, that Chrysler will probably be one fast machine. I'd expect the new STS to be able to put down near-6 second 0-60 times, but that's pure speculation. I have no idea about the 300c.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I drove a 2004 300c for several days and it was certainly not competative with my 96 STS. No doubt the new hemi engine will make a big difference in pure speed, but it will need a lot of other refinements to measure up. Of course you can save a few bucks with the Chrysler.

I drove a 2004 300c for several days and it was certainly not competative with my 96 STS. No doubt the new hemi engine will make a big difference in pure speed, but it will need a lot of other refinements to measure up. Of course you can save a few bucks with the Chrysler.

Are you sure it wasn't a 300M? The 300M is a totally different car from the 300C

i requested a brochure forthe 300c and was told they're rolling out the car this month. as far as comparing the 300c to the sts, i would say that as far as the market segment goes, the 300c is a step down from the sts. don't get me wrong, the 300c looks to be a winner for d/c...but imo, it's close but no cigar for the luxury tag that you associate with the sts. as far as performance goes...from what i've read the hemi will hold it's own very nicely...i believe it's a sohc design but with massive torque AND it has variable displacement...very interesting...have to watch this one. jackg 90 seville 93k

Are you sure it wasn't a 300M? The 300M is a totally different car from the 300C

Right you are! It was a 300m. That explains the disappointment. Since the last post I looked at the 300c. Looks powerful enough and with some help from Benz, it is probably a huge leap forward from the 300c. I still like the caddy styling better.

I love the caddy stylings and quality but... in order to get to ~35k in caddy world... you really only have one choice... and that's the CTS.

Now, the CTS is a wonderfull machine... BUT...

When you compare the engines (V6 Northstar - V8 Hemi) and spaciousness... IMO, the 300c comes out on top.

As far as design, they both have their merits. I love both car's front ends. I love the 300c's tall doors and smaller windows... makes it look like an old gangster car!

If the 300c was made by Cadillac there'd be no question I'd pick it over the CTS. My only hesitation is the fact that it's a CHRYSLER.

Besides, I'm a rapper. So... I'll have to change my rhymes that mention my Caddy to "my Chrysler"... ack... that just doesn't sound right!

-Randy (aka Emcee Squared)

IMO you can buy a lot of nice looking cars for less than a Cad. But you wont have a Cadillac. I dont buy new cars so I have some time, usually two years, to see if the looks hold up in my eye and to see how the cars hold up. Cads have usually passed my goofy 2 yr test & chryslers havent.

i thought about getting the 300m for a while but with research, i found that it had problems with the tranny.. but with the Hemi (300c) it would be totaly diffrent.. it is a simple engine with good engineering.. not to mention the massive aftermarket out for the hemi engine.. superchargers..turbochargers..headers..the nice "musle car" sound with the right exhaust system.. but the cadillac.. come on man its a cadillac.. why do you think there are terms like "its the cadillac of boats" or "its the cadillac of Bikes" you dont hear that with chrysler.. because cadillac like i've said befor is a Life Style.. own a cadi you are in the specialty category.. it all really depends on what you are going to do with the car.. but as far as luxury stand point caddy is on the "higher scale" in my book.. but with performance i would go for the Hemi.. why? cause you can put a simple supercharger kit with the right pulley to boost more lbs. you can have a 500hp car in your hands.. it all boils down to you.. think hard and long cause something as new as the 2 cars mentioned is a fairly big investment

Reggie

At first I just blew him off but once I saw it and did some looking... OMG, this thing kicks *smurf*...

What do you guys think?  Does it compete?

I love the looks/power of the 300C! That being said, I would never, ever buy another Chrysler. If you get one, be sure to get the extended warranty. :)

-Chris

Yes, Chrysler's have always been "throwaway" cars. I have always thought of them as Hyundais with a crappy warranty. Maybe now that they are owned by Mercedes they might have improved the quality somewhat.

I think Mitsubishi was dragging Chrysler down. It seems that half of all the Chryslers you see on the road visibly smoke oil. Even brand new Intrepids and Concordes. Sitting there at a stoplight and take off, with a big plume of smoke out the back. Unsat! I think their small engines were (and maybe still are) produced by Mitsubishi. Maybe now that they're getting better engineering, that'll change. Their trucks have always been rock solid in my experience (we're a Jeep family--got one with the 318--great engine), but their cars have always been suspect in my mind.

the hemi in the 300c is a clean slate design...no relation to the original...the transmission on the c model is the mercedes 5 speed auto...the 2.7 and the 3.5 come with the dc 4 speed auto...for now...when the awd is offered the v6's will also get the 5 speed, from what i have read. jackg 90 seville 93k

Since when have chrysler's been owned by mercedes? I did not know that

Since the late 1990s. Diamler-Chrysler was formed when I guess Diamler Benz merged with Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. That's why the Plymouth name was dropped a few years later -- I guess they didn't want to keep the "cheap" Chrysler brand around.

Since when have chrysler's been owned by mercedes?  I did not know that

Since the late 1990s. Diamler-Chrysler was formed when I guess Diamler Benz merged with Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. That's why the Plymouth name was dropped a few years later -- I guess they didn't want to keep the "cheap" Chrysler brand around.

It happened in May of 1998. The deal between Germany's Daimler-Benz AG and USA-based Chrysler Corporation was sold to us as the largest industrial "merger" in history.

In fact is wasn't as much of a merger as it was an acquisition. We let a German company buy out our #3 automaker and hardly no one even noticed. It's pretty amazing.

In the time since, the germans have robbed Chrysler for cash and gutted their Engineering and Design capabilities. Nice

one correction on the hemi motor: it is an ohv design not ohc...which makes sense since the motor offers variable displacement. Guru's explanation from an earlier thread that dod on an ohc motor is extremely difficult...much easier to do on an ohv. the few road test that the mags have done so far, said the transition from 4 cylinder operation to 8 cylinder operation is totally undetectable. jackg 90 seville 93k

Archived