CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1993 Fleetwood Towing

movement

I have a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham.

I'd like to tow a 20' camper.

This car doesn't have a towing option installed.

What do I need to do?

What will the max towing capacity be?

How much will it cost?

-Randy

I have a 1993 Fleetwood Brougham.

I'd like to tow a 20' camper.

This car doesn't have a towing option installed.

What do I need to do?

What will the max towing capacity be?

How much will it cost?

-Randy

Max towing capacity: 5,000 lbs.

Max towing capacity with V4P Trailer Towing Option: 7,000 lbs.

TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE

Goodyear Eagle GA P235/70R15 * Heavy-Duty Cooling System * Rear Axle, 3.42:1 Ratio * Ride Handling Suspension System (FE2) * Trailer Wiring Harness

You can read the rest here.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Where are you located, and where do you plan on towing? I think the most important thing to do (besides checking on the trailer weight according to the info Marika gave) is to make sure you use a load equalizer hitch. Get a good Class III hitch and have it mounted solidly to the frame. An equalizer hitch will distribute the weight of the trailer tongue across the entire frame of your car, so the rear of the car doesn't sit on the ground with the trailer mounted. That, plus the addition of a sway bar on the hitch, will make for much safer trailering.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

You will probably also need to install an electric brake switch for a 20' trailer. You will probably find that a 20' trailer is over the limit of the car. If you were towing a boat, snowmobiles, jet-ski's, or even a small enclosed trailer I would say go for it, but, a 20' camper is better pulled by a truck or van. Anything less and you set yourself up for disaster.

Goodyear Eagle GA P235/70R15 * Heavy-Duty Cooling System * Rear Axle, 3.42:1 Ratio * Ride Handling Suspension System (FE2) * Trailer Wiring Harness

I think the L05 engine and 7000 lb trailering package came with a 3.73:1 final drive ratio; the LT1 Fleetwood with the V4P package had the 3.42.

The max trailer weight without the towing package is 2000 lbs. I would recommend adding an auxiliary transmission oil cooler and tow in drive 3. Aftermarket transmission oil coolers are in the $50 range.

The trailer package used a engine driven clutch fan. I don't recall if the radiator was different (three core vs two).

Trailer brakes are a must for that size of trailer...and a class three frame mounted hitch. I think you can tow the camper provided you properly equip the car. Don't expect to set any 0-60 records though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 93 Fleetwood Brougham without the towing package and I've been

towing a 4500 lb. boat (including trailer weight) for over 5 years. I did add a

heavy duty transmission oil cooler and have never had any problem. The boat

trailer does have surge brakes on it. When I tow, I never use overdrive. This

car has a 3.08:1 rear end. It has plenty of power and can do over 70 mph on the

highway. I'm also using a class 111 non equalizing hitch. Toungue weight is

around 310 lbs. The auto leveling system keeps the rear from saging. By the way,

this Fleetwood has 201,000 miles on it and hardly uses any oil between changes.

Archived