CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery being drained

Phillip

Phil, something happened today to me and I thought of your problem. Very interesting. I did my RF hub bearing. I had the car jacked up and i wanted to remove the three bolts by putting my socket through the hub flange. In order to turn the hub flange, I needed to take the car out of park to be able to turn the axle. So I got into the car, put the parking brake on, and put the car in Neutral to release the tranny lock in park so i could turn the axle. I went to turn off the key.... and lo and behold, everything went off EXCEPT for the PRNDL indicator! I immediately thought about YOU! I have a feeling that your KEY switch is not turning off fully! You either have a misadjustment in your SELECTOR so that the car is NOT in park or does not appear to be in park.... Check that thought out. Someone else check my premise. Turn your key on, car off, put the car in R or N, and turn the key off as far as it goes, everything will go off EXCEPT the PRNDL indicator! Good Luck, Mike

By the way, in order to stop this from happening I disconnected the negative lead on the battery while I worked on the car, so that I didnt drain the battery with the car in R or N, and the key partially on....

Mike,

My car does not do that. When gear selector is in N, I can turn ignition OFF and everything goes OFF including PRNDL light. BTW, can you remove the key with slector in N? I had to "modify" my ignition system, but it seems that the ignition switch is blocked mechanically from moving to the initial/final position (a position you enter the key into the ignition lock ctlinder).

This is just a guess, but the ignition swith which is attached to the steering column may need adjustment (it is attached to the column with a few bolts and there is plenty of room for adjustment).

Bruce,

If you refer to PRNDL switch also known as neutral safety switch, it is on top of transmission. There is an adjustment procedure in FSM. Misadjusted PRNDL switch usually results in "no start in Park" condition.

Not to offend you Adallak but as much as my car is a relic, yours is a dynasaur and totally different, :lol:

:lol: I told you 91 was better than 96!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Well who would have guessed??? I was just about to buy a PZM when the darned car decided to behave. The lights on the PRNDL are going out, there are NO codes and the drain on the battery is gone. The crazy thing is, I didn't do anything. These cars do a lot of things, but I have never heard of one healing.

Right now, I am just going to monitor it and see how it goes. I expect it will be back, but until then....

I want to thank everybody for the help and Mike, let us know how you make out with your problem. It certainly sounds like a switch to me.

Phillip

Oh, Phil, I don't have a problem. I was just relaying to you what happens when I have the car out of PARK and try to turn the key off, it looked similar to the symptoms you were getting..... Sorry for the confusion... Good luck, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived