CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 deville $1200?

joeb

our local paper almost never has repairable caddy's listed. i saw an ad for a 98 deville that says "runs good, headgaskets/motor?". hmm, thats getting into my price range. all i need to do is talk KHE into selling me his timesert kit or maybe borrowing it.

That would make a great project car if you can do the engine work. I'm also facinated by the equation "runs good" = "headgasket/motor". I assume that it is using coolant and they believe it needs a new headgasket, but it is in running condition otherwise, just tends to run hot.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have the Bigsert kit as the engine I repaired already had Timeserts (that were installed too deep in the block and ripped out). I would only use Bigserts if some butcher screwed up the first repair.

Have you looked at the car? I was actually looking for a Deville when I bought the STS...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

i was busy today. did not have time to call. the early bird gets the worm. probably gone already. i check out carsoup often and saw a 99 SLS with bad headgaskets for 5K. 98k miles. supposed to be pretty clean. yes, i would probably try and find a timesert kit first. start with the small inserts.

i called and the owner said that he has replaced the radiator and WP but that it still overheats after awhile. it seems to loose coolant and than overheat but will not overheat as long as the coolant level is maintained? it has 260k miles. red exterior. been sitting for about 1yr. i was interested in fixing it and selling it. what would it be worth after the repair?

the owner has a longer ad in carsoup. seems there is a problem with the ignition key. car won't crank. i did a search for theft deterrent issues and might have an idea. the $1200 price is best offer also. he said the battery is dead so a guy who looked yesterday could not try and start it. thats good since the theft system might be wacky.

i did read about the resistor key issue. since this is a 98, is that another issue? how do you resolve the passkey issue? get a new passkey module? XX$ or what?

i did read about the resistor key issue. since this is a 98, is that another issue? how do you resolve the passkey issue? get a new passkey module? XX$ or what?

The wires on the lock cylinder break and then the Pass key module no longer "Sees" the ignition key pellet. Not a difficult repair but you need to remove the steering wheel, turn signal switch, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider that car - not with 265,000 on the clock.... You'll put about $800 or so in parts into the engine and it wouldn't be worth much more than $1200. Plus, at that mileage, any number of things would begin to fail.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

he dropped the price to $950. also said he might fix the ignition problem. i got a new job 4 miles from home. maybe i could make it that far without overheating. 40 miles/week. that is nice. i was checking out car-parts.com for 98 motors and found 1 that needs headgaskets for $400. keep looking.

Archived