CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

exhaust

Cool exhaust note! I had seen these cars previously,but i guess i just never payed attention. The pontiac GXP with the northstar motor has a cool exhaust burble.Will that exhaust fit on my seville? It has that TRANS AM sound but not as loud. Does anyone here own the gxp? Id like to know a little more about its exhaust. MY o2 seville wants some of those.

The NS in your car is transverse and the front bank will be the problem for you. The front crossover pipe crosses under the engine and from our discussions with Mark, changing that configuration is NOT easy. The best you can do is a less restrictive cat back setup.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The Bonneville GXP also had the Northstar in a transverse installation. I am not sure if the exhaust would be a direct fit for your Seville, but it would not surprise me. You'd want to go used/take off though as the factory exhausts are often more expensive than an aftermarket exhaust system. Certainly just swapping to Bonneville GXP mufflers and resonator (assuming it had one) should give a similar sound.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My 02 seville has mufflers that look like james bond metalic brief case. I would like some input with specific part #s on mods that members have done to a seville exhaust. 1000 bucks for a corsa sounds kinda high.I guess a gxp exhaust is out of the question .

the GXP has the 5.3L vortec motor. the buick lucerne has the northstar. i did some digging on a few yrs ago trying to figure out what parts to swap to put 6.0 vortec in a 2wd truck which only came with the 4.8/5.3L. hmm, a 6.0 GXP sounds nice.

To be more clear:

The Pontiac Bonneville GXP in 2004/2005 used a 275 hp northstar V8. The Bonneville is discontinued now.

Yes, the Lucerne uses the Northstar.

The Grand Prix GXP evolved from the S/C 3.8L making 260hp to the 5.3L making 303hp.

Bruce

To be more clear:

The Pontiac Bonneville GXP in 2004/2005 used a 275 hp northstar V8. The Bonneville is discontinued now....

I am looking for a Bonneville GXP that has not been abused. The only specimen I have seen was at the Atlanta Auto Show more than two years ago; never saw one on the road.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

thats interesting that GM put the northstar in the bonneville for such a short time and had plans for the vortec motor in the GP. i thought it was expensive to certify a cars powertrain for EPA requirements. i follow grand prix stuff since I have one now but have never really checked into bonneville news.

Sometimes powertrains can be EPA certified by similarity with existing products is my understanding.

When you see car companies do something REALLY stupid that just does not work, it often is because they listened to a group of customers. As the Corvette Manager once noted, the Corvette team would get all this internet excitement and emails asking for a base model corvette that is highly affordable. But then when they made one, like 2 people showed up to buy them. I think it is because sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between frequency of posts and widespread sentiment.

Bruce

When did GM make a base model inexpensive Corvette? I have a friend at the Milford Proving Grounds in the Corvette group... and the C-5 was the first Vette to "maybe" offer a model like this but the idea was killed by management well before production. There were rumors of a stripped down one with no leather, no power stuff, and a basic engine (which wouldn't sell!) Then a rumor of a stripper with Z-06 type drivetrain (which I think would have sold, at least as well as the Z-06). GM needs a RWD sports car that seats 4 and doesn't look like a cavalier on steriods (sorry GTO owners). Anyone think the Autoshow Camaro will ever see production? I guess I'll be buying that Dodge Challenger if they make it....

GM needs a RWD sports car that seats 4 and doesn't look like a cavalier on steriods (sorry GTO owners). Anyone think the Autoshow Camaro will ever see production?

Question #1... They have at least 2 that I can think of... the CTS-V and the STS-V... Both awesome cars capable of keeping up with anything from Germany, Japan, or that country shaped like a boot... (edit... Oops STS-V isn't RWD... its AWD does it still count?)

Question #2... Bob Lutz... has been quoted as saying something like "He is pushing GM to produce the new Camaro". To me that sounds like a pile of BS... This is a simple answer, Yes we are going to build it or No we aren't... GM is such a tease sometimes...

My money is on "We will never see another new Camaro."

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I have my hands in too many cookie jars to be able to afford a CTS-V, let alone an STS-V. Besides, I never leave anything stock, and the CTS-V's in stock form toss they're rear diff's out on a regular basis from what I've read. I don't think we'll see another Camaro either, mostly due to the lackluster sales of the GTO (that's the cars fault, or at least it's lack of character). Ford Mustang's keep on selling.... I own one, but only because GM didn't have a car that would meet my needs.

I don't think we'll see another Camaro either, mostly due to the lackluster sales of the GTO (that's the cars fault, or at least it's lack of character).

I think the lackluster sales of the GTO can be blamed on a lackluster marketing campaign that this car received. And truly a half hearted attempt to sell it... It was almost like the GM exec said to themselves... "This is a limited production car... we had better manage the demand... We don't want to sell too many of these..."

The effort behind this car was dismal... In its first year it came without Onstar and other North American required gizmos... No sunroof... No Heated seats...etc. They decided not to sell it in Canada (instantly loosing 10% of the potential market)... They don't stick in the LS6 engine as an option... Argh...

IMO this effort was almost as bad as when the General slapped a 442 badge on the side of an Calais and stated the 442 now stood for 4 Cylinders, 4 Valves, Two Cams... and zero fun...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived