CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rotors - time for new ones

MIke D

Time for new front rotors (I got 80,000 miles out of them). My dad said he could get them for $102.50 each.

Has anyone tried any aftermarket rotors? Good? Bad? Price? I would like to "step up" if at all able.

I have a 93 STS with the newer style deville 16"rims on it. Dont know if there is any "extra" room now for a larger rotor. I assume that would mean changing over brackets and maybe calipers... not really my intention...

Any info would be great... thanks guys.. MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Has anyone tried any aftermarket rotors? Good? Bad? Price? I would like to "step up" if at all able.

Absolutely. A few of us here (including myself) have installed either cross drilled or slotted (or both) rotors on the front of our Sevilles with great results. I paid a little over $100 each for mine. The best part is they're OEM material that's drilled, radiused, and cadmium coated for durability. They're literally a bolt-in item because they're machine from OEM stock. Great upgrade, with no modifications necessary.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/rotors.html

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jadcock,

Interesting upgrade! Especially with my recent more-open wheel upgrade and having some warpage in my front rotors, this gives me ideas...

I think the previous owner just did the brakes on this car last year, but went the cheaper route on rotors and pads. I just priced some rotors at A-Zone last night, but really didn't want to go that route just yet. Being a toolmaker and having access to Cad/Cam and CNC machines, I'm thinking I may just try re-surfacing my rotors and cross-drilling them myself. Probaly opt. for the OEM HD pads like you did. Your pics are very helpful, nice article! B)

Would like to do the plating as well, but that will have to wait till I splurge for new rotors. (man am I tight!) :P I'll be painting the calipers too, for a nice clean look...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

"Being a toolmaker " I "feel your pain" as I'm a tool/die/mold maker myself. I can't get rid of the "Fussy" when doing things that normally don't call for "THAT" amount of precision. I work wood to the .001. Anyway, when I did my brakes, I went with OEM rotors and Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. the QS pads are almost dust free. If you drill and slot yours, maybe Nickle plating would be an option, instead of Cad. I checked into the Cad plating, and due to EPA regulations, it was expensive where I checked.

rek

Maybe the cadmium coating was much of the cost of the rotor. It's sure worth it though because the rotors aren't rusted at all -- even after 40,000+ miles. I'm completely satisfied with the rotors and would recommend them to anyone.

Rek...

Yup, being a toolmaker can slow down the process of some things that shouldn't be too fussy! Took me months to build my own wood deck, cause I wouldn't let anyone help me. :rolleyes: I think the nickel plating would be fine, it mostly for looks and to prevent rust. Will definitely look into Raybestos Quiet Stop pads too.

The gold Cad. does look cool though Jason! Can you tell me what size holes they drilled in your rotors? Are they drilled completely thru in each position, or is the pattern on the inside shifted? Looks like about 5/16" or so... Gonna start working on a program for this next week at work. The right wheel has the pattern swept the opposite direction correct?

Mike D,

Meant to tell you earlier, the $102.50 each you talked about seems pretty steep. The two I had quoted at A-zone were $19 ea. (import) and $39 (domestic?) if I remember right. Sorry If I stole your post talking about all this other stuff! :rolleyes:

:unsure::unsure:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

sprucegoose... (you a pilot).. The $102.50 was from the dealer... Not aftermarket. I saw somewhere that they got them for $39 a corner once... so when he my dad said this, I was surprised... I know he only goes OEM on those kind of things.. I might go x-drilled and vented if they are not much more... With my kind of driving I could use a little more bite up front.. and in the back... I went with larger tires a while back, so maybe with better rotors I could slow down even beter. Still had that antilock kick a few times though... md

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Can you tell me what size holes they drilled in your rotors? Are they drilled completely thru in each position, or is the pattern on the inside shifted? Looks like about 5/16" or so... Gonna start working on a program for this next week at work. The right wheel has the pattern swept the opposite direction correct?

The holes themselves are 7/32". They're radiused out to probably 5/16". They're drilled straight through. If you'll notice, the sweep pattern will vary as you work your way around the rotor. For example, the inner hole in one of the "fans" isn't the same distance from the center of the hub as the next "fan". This is done so none of the interior fin partitions are compromised. You don't want to drill through one of the inner partitions because that could affect the structural integrity of the rotor.

Yes, there is a R and an L pattern. These rotors have a "fan" pattern that sweeps "backwards" as mounted on the car. I've seen other rotors whose patterns sweep "forwards". I doubt it really matters, but these did have R and L stickers on the rotors when shipped, so I installed them on the corresponding wheel.

Archived