CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seville Stalling

Hi All,

It's been a good while since my last post. I have been viewing this site on a regular basis though. I hope everyone is in good health. I had a first time problem today. I was on my way home from work, stopped at the light, and my car just cut off. No stumbling, or vibration, it just went dead. I put it in park, and i started right back up with out a problem. When i gor home, i checked for codes. The two codes i saw were Map Sensor Signal interupted, and the PO code that said Stall signal detected. I believe the codes were PO71 and PO56 i don't have my code list with me right now. Does anyone have any type of theory what could have caused this? Could it be that the map sensor is starting to go bad? I know that is was replaced about 3years ago by the Cadillac Dealer, here on Long Island where i live.

P056 (E056) ......................... Transmission Input Speed Sensor

P071 (E071) ........................ Intermittent MAP Signal

I would first check the connections at the MAP.

One of these days I need to get my voltmeter back from you. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

P056 (E056) ......................... Transmission Input Speed Sensor

P071 (E071) ........................ Intermittent MAP Signal

I would first check the connections at the MAP.

One of these days I need to get my voltmeter back from you. Mike

Hey Mike,

I have it in a safe place, Whenever your ready. You have my number, if not i will give it to you again.

Thanks one of these days soon I will get into you to pick it up.

The P056 code bothers me more. Could your tranny be staying in a higher gear when you come to a stop causing the stall. How is your tranny performing?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The P056 code bothers me more. Could your tranny be staying in a higher gear when you come to a stop causing the stall. How is your tranny performing?

Mike,

You might recall I enjoyed (?) P056 a few weeks back. The code illuminates the SES lamp and sets tranny hydraulic pressure to max. I *think* it also engages the TCC and may or may not lock out 4th gear.

In any event, low speed/low throttle 1-2 shifts are neck wrenching. Shifts from neutral to either drive or reverse are jarring as well.

Otherwise, driving under moderate throttle wasn't too bad and there was no problem with delayed or nonexistent downshifts.

Just one persons experience.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. If the government's job is to defend the shores and deliver the mail, maybe Uncle Sam can help with the return of your meter. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That is what I was thinking, maybe coming to a stop, its staying in second too long and stalling that car, is that possible? How did yours feel coming to a stop? Did it downshift hard also?

The downshift was more noticeable than usual, but I'd hesitate to call it "hard."

Most importantly, the downshifts occurred at appropriate speeds without any "lugging."

The car was very "driveable" except in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Then it was whiplash city. The car literally shook when it shifted into second.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hi All,

i found the exact codes i was getting. It was PO71 and PO95 Map Sensor signal, and Stall detected signal. My car only stalled on me once, and started back up right away. Yesterday i cleaned the connection and wiring to the sensor, and no problems so far.

Great. Let's hope that is the end of it.

Posted Image

Although, I guess it can be many things, I had a similiar problem. code was for MAP sensor, and it turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. took a few days till the pump completely failed. Just because the code is for a sensor, could be something else causing the actual problem. I mentioned this before about another members issue. again, could be fuel restriction too. "If you put a demand on the engine, then suddenly stop, if the fuel delivery is weak, the car will likely stall then. - as a lower RPM motor is more likely to stall when fuel is restricted." - I put in quotes, as it was what I observed a few times

well guys the problem is happening again, this time worse. I'm still getting code po71 map sensor signal, today on my way home from work engine started stumpling while driving, it stalled at the light, but started right back up. While driving down the road took my foot off the gas RPMs started surging up and down between 500 and 1500 until it smoothed out. Checked codes and i'm only getting Map sensor signal and stall signal detected. Tomorrow i will take it to a friends shop who use to work for GM dealership as a mechanic, and have him put it on the scanner.

• 4 months later...

well guys the problem is happening again, this time worse. I'm still getting code po71 map sensor signal, today on my way home from work engine started stumpling while driving, it stalled at the light, but started right back up. While driving down the road took my foot off the gas RPMs started surging up and down between 500 and 1500 until it smoothed out. Checked codes and i'm only getting Map sensor signal and stall signal detected. Tomorrow i will take it to a friends shop who use to work for GM dealership as a mechanic, and have him put it on the scanner.

Hey,rollingthunder1994...Did you ever figured out what was causing the stalling?I am also having the same issue.Ive replaced FPR,Fuel filter and cleaned EGR valve with new gasket yesterday..replaced fuel pump 3 years ago.Also cleaned the connections for the MAP sensor and the code PO71 is now gone.Thank you

Hey,rollingthunder1994...Did you ever figured out what was causing the stalling?I am also having the same issue.Ive replaced FPR,Fuel filter and cleaned EGR valve with new gasket yesterday..replaced fuel pump 3 years ago.Also cleaned the connections for the MAP sensor and the code PO71 is now gone.Thank you

I had a bad coil cause my MAP code, it took me 6 months until the coil finally gave out. I did a "Power Balance Test" to determine which cylinders were causing the problem. Turn out those bad cylinders were on the same coil.

Archived