CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plat Sparks Plugs GM AC Delco or Boush?

jamesg

My wires seems to be in good shape. Been five years since tune-up. Should I use AC Delco or Boush Plat Tips for replacement? I refuse to pay $597.00 plus for changing the spark plugs and wires at the caddy dealership!!!

v/r

93 STS

Only go with AC Delco and save yourself a lot of grief. Order them online at gmpartsdirect.com or any other online GM parts place. I just did a quick check and the wires were $115.00 @ cadillac-parts-for-less.com.

My wires seems to be in good shape. Been five years since tune-up. Should I use AC Delco or Boush Plat Tips for replacement? I refuse to pay $597.00 plus for changing the spark plugs and wires at the caddy dealership!!!

v/r

93 STS

Tell us what symptoms you are experiencing and/or trouble codes you are seeing that lead you to believe a "tune-up" is needed. Five calendar years is not a trigger point for routine items.

If you just really want to be changing plugs and wires, use ACDelco pieces. But you will see little to no performance difference if your current parts are not defective.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I just replaced mine with Auto Lites Double Plats. Seems to have considerable more power, and when I start it up I noticed the different fires up faster so to speak. after new plugs and fuel filter it still is running rough at start up sometimes ? I dont know why. My 96 Deville done it sometimes also.

Michael - :D

I just replaced mine with Auto Lites Double Plats. Seems to have considerable more power, and when I start it up I noticed the different fires up faster so to speak. after new plugs and fuel filter it still is running rough at start up sometimes ? I dont know why. My 96 Deville done it sometimes also.

Autolite in a GM engine? Cadillac no less? Only AC for me :lol: (but you knew that) Are you saying the roughness goes away when warmed up?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Autolite in a GM engine? Cadillac no less? Only AC for me :lol: (but you knew that) Are you saying the roughness goes away when warmed up?

Yes after it warms up its fine takes about 2 mins for the issue to go away really.

Michael-

v/r

93 STS

I would call that dealership a STEALERSHIP.... How can they justify charging almost $600 for plugs and wires??? At most, the parts are $170 (less for dealer cost) and a dealer tech should spend no more than an hour on the job. That stealership's price is double what a fair price should be. I sure wish GM would start cracking down on dealers that rape people like that!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

jamesg,

I echo JimD. Unless you've got a wire or plug problem, leave it alone. Typical plug replacement is around 100K, but you can stretch even this if the miles per gallon has not dropped.

Note that disturbing the wires invites potential problems, so let them be if the car is running OK.

Yes after it warms up its fine takes about 2 mins for the issue to go away really.

Michael-

You know, I bet that cold start roughness would go away if only you would use the AC Delco plugs. I wonder what the gap is on those Ford plugs? That rough running is probably your car telling you that it doesn't like Ford componets residing within it.

Archived