CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing steering wheel.

Caddyjag

Hello, I just bought a new steering wheel for my 94 SLS. The one I have right now is worn out, all the paint has come out. So now I will be replacing it. Can anyone tell me what are the things to look for when doing it? Do I have to shut off the airbags? How do I take off the airbag cover? The steering wheel that I bought doesn't have an airbag so I have to use the one I already have.

I would appreciate any help available. Thanks

Caddyjag

i used to tale oyt the stearing wheel when tried to fix an ignition switch problem.

first disconnect the battery and take airbag fuse out. the air bag unite comes out buy unscruing four screws on the back of the unite ( at least that's what i did on my 91 seville). then you will need a tool - wheel puller. pretty rutine work. do not be afraid of. be careful with respect to the removed air bag unite. pu it at some safe place with face up. good luck

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

There is a yellow connector at the base of the steering column. You disconnect that to be safe.

Disconnecting the battery is not the correct way to do it. The airbag DERM module can retain enough stored voltage to deploy the airbags for 10-15 minutes after a battery disconnect.

DERM is 'diagnostic energy reserve module'.

This is because if the battery is lost during an accident event......theres still stored power to deploy the airbags.

Archived