CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my sunroof

coffeebreak1

If your sunroof is like my '94 Eldo's, you shouldn't get water inside the car even if the gasket surrounding the glass panel is completely missing! The front and side edges of the opening are shaped like troughs and a moving gutter is located under the rear edge of the glass. Any water that leaks past the sunroof gasket should be conducted by the gutter and troughs to drain tubes located inside the pillars at each corner of the top. The water then runs down the drain tubes and spills out onto the ground under the car.

If you are getting water inside your car, it is probably due to a problem in the drainage system. Check the gutter and troughs for rust-through or holes from any other source. Make sure the drain tubes aren't plugged or damaged and that their upper ends are properly attached to the drain fittings in the troughs.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I had a leaking sunroof as well (good seal though). I thouht I would pass on this:

I used weed wacker nylon cord to clean out the drainage tubes and it worked really well - no more leak. Others have used compressed air - but that may cause a fitting to pop. It's proably a good idea to check the fittings at the sunroof...

For the seal - maybe try a wrecker and see if you can good a good second hand one.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

• 6 years later...

If your sunroof is like my '94 Eldo's, you shouldn't get water inside the car even if the gasket surrounding the glass panel is completely missing! The front and side edges of the opening are shaped like troughs and a moving gutter is located under the rear edge of the glass. Any water that leaks past the sunroof gasket should be conducted by the gutter and troughs to drain tubes located inside the pillars at each corner of the top. The water then runs down the drain tubes and spills out onto the ground under the car.

If you are getting water inside your car, it is probably due to a problem in the drainage system. Check the gutter and troughs for rust-through or holes from any other source. Make sure the drain tubes aren't plugged or damaged and that their upper ends are properly attached to the drain fittings in the troughs.

Do you know where one could find a diagram of the sun roof and its drains? I have water in the foot well behind the passanger seat.

Do you know where one could find a diagram of the sun roof and its drains? I have water in the foot well behind the passanger seat.

The drains are at each corner of the sunroof gutter. The rear drain tubes pass behind the sail panel and exit through the trunk pan below the sail panels.

The front drain tubes are behind the A-pillar trim at the windshield - they exit near the rear of the front tires.

Since your car is leaking in the back, pull the trunk carpet and look for the drain tube fittings that go through the trunk floor. Take them out and clean them. A weedwacker line should work for the fronts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived