CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Codes

Dr LMF

New poster here, but I've been lurking and learning for a couple of years. Extremely valuable site; thanks for the loads of information.

Now, my problem: My 2000 STS with 94000 miles keeps throwing P0410 codes, and lately the P0385. The dealer says it's an air pump problem. My question, do PCM II cars from as late as 2000 have air pumps as part of their California Emissions? I thought that was old technology replaced by eletronic FI.

Do I need to spring for the $400 est to replace an air pump that I wonder if it exists. Complicating things: I need a CA smog check to renew my license by May 8. Any help for me?

Thanks

P0410 is the secondary air pump

P0385 is the crankshaft position sender.

Not sure of the air pump, but the crank senders are relatively cheap, and easy to do. My car just threw that code, and I have the senders (there are 2) on order. Maybe someone else can help with the air pump.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Yes there are 2 A.I.R. Pumps........one for each cylinder head. They run about $120 each and can be found at : www.newgmparts.com (for that price anyway). Not hard to change if you wanted to do yourself. At that site just fill in your year, then click emissions, then AIR system. Could be a pump, a relay, a vaccuum leak in a hose, an electrical connection, etc. But if Dealer says it is the pump, it probably is.

Then again, my dealer once told me I needed a new trunk pulldown motot assembly for like $500. It turned out to be sand in the contacts. Maybe check the connectors & stuff first now that you know you have 2 of them.

Then again, my dealer once told me I needed a new trunk pulldown motot assembly for like $500. It turned out to be sand in the contacts. Maybe check the connectors & stuff first now that you know you have 2 of them.

Thanks. I'll go out and look at it tomorrow. I'm inclined to think it might be a loose connection as they had my car for 3 weeks to attempt to find a problem with the trans; they replaced a solenoid, which didn't solve the lugging-like sensation. They replaced the new solenoid (it was defective, they said) and still problem wasn't solved. So, during the 3 weeks they pulled the trans apart and couldn't find the problem, so they had the factory involved. I got about $2000 worth of trans work--essentially new gaskets, etc, wherein the factory paid for parts and the dealer ate the labor[they had charged me $1400 for a new front motor mount and the solenoid replacement]--and they found that the stator shaft was defective where it fits into the torque convertor.Given they had so many parts out and no codes before the work makes me think that there might be a loose connection--after all, I get about 200 miles between codes.

Further bad news: I had the FirstSource 5-year, 150,000 extended warranty with 2 years and 60,000 miles to go, and the company went bankrupt; bummer! Any suggestions on getting my money from them?

Anyway, thanks for the advice on sensors/connections. I'll follow up on that.

GM has a newer part # for the air pump. I recently got the PO410 code (2001 Deville)....the pump had sucked in some water. The pump was right about $100 at RockAuto.

Archived