CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High Mileage SLS

chazglenn3

I am considering what MAY be a good deal. It is a 1999 SLS that is loaded (for a SLS) with the moonroof, Bose Stereo, and heated seats. The issue is the car has over 189K miles on it. It is a one onwer car (prior to the dealer getting it). I know the Northstar is good for many miles beyond that, but I am concerned with the transmission and suspension. Of course, with that many miles the suspension should have already been replaced, I would think. I think I can get the car for around $4500. These cars cost way too much money here in the Pacific NW. Thoughts? :blink:

Charles

Charles

I got the Carfax...that is where I saw only one owner. No damage or salvage history. I don't know if there are any service records...I haven't gone to see the car in person yet. The description of course makes it sound like it's the cat's a$$ :)

Charles

Charles

At 189K, be prepared for a large repair expense at any time - it's just a fact of life. I would check the codes and verify that there is nothing serious stored. Also, just about any collision will total the car. I have 209,000 on my old Park Avenue winter beater - if the transmission dies or someone hits it, it's history.... You might want to expand your search for a better deal across the country and pay a transport service for shipping. Just a thought.

I might have a black '97 STS for sale in a few weeks with timeserts and new headgaskets. :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Chaz,

If everything is on the up and up and the car has been maintained properly then I'd be all over that deal. Even if there are the usual wear and tear items that needed attending to... to me it's a great deal. That many miles on a 99 tells you that it spent most of it's life on the highway and the fact that it's a one owner car... another bonus. Ugh.... makes me think I (um We) could use another caddy. I'm anxious to hear what you decide. Good luck.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

That was my line of thinking...highway miles. Probably belonged to a salesman or something. I will go check it out on Monday and let you know how it turns out. Kevin, thanks for the offer, but I have to have a 98+ car this time around. I take it you decided to buy the STS?

Charles

Charles

I bought an 88 Eldorado years ago with 180k miles, for 1600 bux, and it was one of the best cars I ever bought. It had been driven from the lady's underground parking structure at her condo to the underground parking at her office, and the interior and paint were still PERFECT.

It ran like a champ, and, if a stupid friend of mine hadn't taken it out and totalled it, I would still be driving it today.

Cars with that kind of mileage show their spots pretty easily, and, if there is no oil or fluid seepage or leaks, and the fluids smell right, and the paint and interior are just about perfect, it could be a good thing to buy, but, I get the feeling that 4500 bux is too much with that kind of miles. But, I think it would be well worth taking it to an independent mechanic and having a compression test, a thorough inspection of the suspension, underbody, drivetrain, including the axles and boots etc., and a hookup to a diagnostic rig to check for emissions and other funny business.

I didn't do this to the one I bought because it was SO cheap and it was a Sunday, and I was younger (tee hee), but, for anything more than a couple of grand, I would probably invest the 100 bux or so it should cost to get these things checked.

I take it you decided to buy the STS?

Charles

Yeah - I bought it - see my posts in the '97-'99 Devilles thread. I am driving from West Michigan to North Carolina this Wednesday to pick it up. I'll post the details from my trip when I get back. Thanks again for running the Carfax report for me!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Glad to help, Kevin! Mac...I tend to put more value in what Edmunds comes up with for car prices instead of KBB. They seem to be more realistic to me. As in this case KBB.com says dealer retail is $10,325, and Edmunds.com says dealer retail is $8,266. Coolnesss...if it passes visual inspection and a test drive, I will have it checked out by the nearest Cadillac dealer...good suggestion.

Charles

Charles

Charles, good for you. There will be many better opportunities. I think the way to go is with the GM Certified program. I am in the hunt for Seville SLS 2002 or 2003 with no more than 20,000 miles. It should come with 72/100K miles warranty, and should not cost more than $22,000 and sure you can finance it.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Archived