CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

112mph

I would think if your car is OBD I that you could just buy an aftermarket computer chip. If the car has OBD II, then you are S.O.L. I don't remember what year the change was made.

Charles

Charles

so whats i tgonna take to go faster??? how about a PCM out of a differant car and flash vin to it of vehicle that goes faster???

This is something I would be interested in. A few weekends ago I was on a deserted road in Nevada and opened up the throttle all the way. I made it to 129 before a fuel cutout went in. The motor still had a lot left in her though. I understand that the tire's speed rating is an issue here. Let's say I upgrade to a ZR rated tire. What do I need to do to defeat the limiter?

You need the dealer to reflash the PCM, but it is unlikely you'll find one willing to accept the liability. Any trial lawyer reading this is probably salivating by now.

Wolf, you can get a chip from Ed Wrights "Fast Chip" that will defeat the limiter on your '95 OBDI.

KG6PSK, you would need to find a dealer that would flash your OBDII system after you put Z rated tires on . Thing is, finding a dealer that will assume responsibility for you wrapping it around a pole at 130+ mph is about impossible these days of trial and personal injury lawyers. Good luck on that one.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

The key here is the age of the vehicle (1995 and previous, OBD-I, and 1996 and later, OBD-II) and original equipment tires. S-rated got a 112 mph limiter. H-rated got a 130 mph limiter. Z-rated is no limiter.

If you have a 1995 or previous, there are chip manufacturers out there with chips to remove the limiter. If you have a 1996 or later, it's all in the PCM, and it requires a reprogram, which isn't easily possible, as stated above.

Enjoy your Cadillac for what it is. If you want to drive 150 mph, go get a Corvette.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

has nothing to do with I dont need to go that fast,my harley goes 117mph and mt 92 chevy would go 120+,and i like to know my limits not the goverments!

LOL! This has nothing to do with the government!

This has everything to do with the speed rating of the TIRES that Cadillac originally installed on your car. You bought a car with S-rated tires and a 112-mph speed limiter. That's it. If you bought a car with Z-rated tires, you would have no limiter. The government has nothing to do with this (although it usually becomes the scapegoat for everything).

now back to my other idea, put a PCM out of a vehicle that had z rated tires in this vehicle,will this solve my problem??? also i dont have s rated tires anymore,and if the government wasnt envolved somehow we wouldnt be discussing them (just my 2 cents worth)

• 2 weeks later...

No, you can't put a PCM in from a Z-rated car. Your Eldorado with S-rated tires has a 3.11 final drive ratio. An Eldorado with Z-rated tires would have had the 300-hp engine with 3.71 final drive ratio. It's just how Cadillac equipped the vehicles. A PCM from an S-rated car is not compatible with one from a Z-rated car. As stated, this is an original equipment thing, not a government thing.

• 4 years later...

2006 and newer are easily changed.

Mine is currently set at 180.

But I haven't had it over 144.... "YET"...:D :D :D

But on some the loooonnngg straight roads of New Mexico that have almost -0- traffic on them...it sure does cruise nice at 130 / 135.

:D :D

Posted Image

But on some the loooonnngg straight roads of New Mexico that have almost -0- traffic on them...it sure does cruise nice at 130 / 135.

What was the engine RPM at while going 144 MPH ? Just curious.

What was the engine RPM at while going 144 MPH ? Just curious.

I don't remember exactly...the adrenaline was pumping pretty good by that point.

I think it was about 4500.

It was still pulling strong and there was still a good bit left to go faster when I let off.

I may have to try it again now, just to find out. :D

I am leaving on Vacation today. :yupi3ti:

Taking Darling Wife to a high School Reunion and then heading for Colorado.

We will going up thru Oklahoma and Kansas to Nebraska and then turn west to Cheyenne Wyoming.

Then turn South back into Colorado and then turn west till I get to the Continental Divide and follow that as much as possible back South to New Mexico.

Then head back home to Ft. Worth Texas.

Then have to go back to work to pay for it...darn it. :D

Posted Image

Archived