CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

91 Eldo after new Fpr!!

bschelle

I just replaced the FPR on my 91 Eldo and now it cranks longer than it use to to start. Before it would crank once and fire. Now it sometimes cranks for a few seconds to start. The new FPR is a Delco and I doubt that it is defective. I will test it this weekend to be sure. Any other suggestions on what might be the problem or should I just have to live with it?

What was it doing before you replaced the FPR?

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

If the 4.9 FPR is the same as the Northstar's FPR, it is possible that the lower o-ring was damaged or did not get installed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You need a pressure gauge.!

There is a pigtail under the hood that will fully activate the pump bypassing the relay and computer so the pressure will come up and you measure it.

My pigtail is about two inches long and down behind the vapor cannister. Just put 12 volts to it.Read the pressure with it active, then disconnect the jumper and watch the pressure for a few minutes. It should not drop too fast.

Did I mention that you need a pressure gauge??

Bob B

(What was it doing before you replaced the FPR?)

It was dying out completly and then able to restart instantly or having to wait a few miniutes before restarting. It would also die if I did a WOT. Since replacing the FPR the symptoms have stopped. Now I have the extra cranking glich. A pressure gauge and mentioned tests will be done this weekend. Thanks for all of the input!!!

It would also die if I did a WOT. Since replacing the FPR the symptoms have stopped. Now I have the extra cranking glich. A pressure gauge and mentioned tests will be done this weekend. Thanks for all of the input!!!

When the fuel pump when on my '92 , the only symptom I had was falling flat on it's face at WOT (didn't die). Use a guage with a long hose and tape it to the windshield and take it for a drive. Pressure should fluctuate but not an awful lot.

Use a guage with a long hose and tape it to the windshield and take it for a drive. Pressure should fluctuate but not an awful lot.

Stupid question(s) of the week...what fitting is on the end of the gauge and where do you attach it - I'm guessing at the end of the fuel rail - what's the lb. range on the gauge? Autozone?

Thanks

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Archived