CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk lid flys open on my '99 Seville: no dampening

bigmutt

So I looked closely at my trunk opening mechanism and also searched the Factory Service Manual. found nothing.

Just a simple set-up of torque rods (2) that supposedly control the force with which the lid opens.

Mine flys open, with a strong "thud" against the rubber cushioned stops.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

"My worst day riding, is better than my best day working."

You need to change the position of the torque rod(s) - there should be notches in the hinge assembly where the torque rods interface. Use a deep socket and a long extension to manipulate the rod into a different notch and see how it works.

You might need to adjust both sides or possibly only one side.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So I looked closely at my trunk opening mechanism and also searched the Factory Service Manual. found nothing.

Just a simple set-up of torque rods (2) that supposedly control the force with which the lid opens.

Thanks.

are you talking about the power pull down motor ?

michael

Thanks.

are you talking about the power pull down motor ?

michael

There is no pull down on the 98 and newer STS's.

My 99 also flies open, which I actually prefer to my wife's Accord, which just sits there when popped open, very inconvenient when your hands are full.

Mine actually flew open with such force last year that it caught my garage door overhead mechanism, resulting in a nasty gash on the trunk, since fixed.

I'm watching the results to any fixes with much interest.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

The trunk lid should open completely when released. Check to make sure that the rubber bumpers are still there. Look at each hinge, there is about a 1" thick piece of rubber, that cushions the hinge from hitting the body. If you do not want the lid to open all the way, you need to adjust the torque rods as described above. I happen to like the lid openong all the way. I believe all of the Seville's 1998 - 2004 are this way from the factory.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

The problem is.......you DON'T have a problem! They ALL work this way in '99. After you play with the rods for a while, please let us know if it had any effect. Mine opens forcefully too, and though I realize that it was designed this way, I too wish it would be a little more civilized.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I did the adjustment noted above by KHE and Don, and I'm much happier now. (don't have to worry any more about someone's teeth getting knocked out of their head if standing too close!)

It opens all the way, by itself, but not with such force as before.

It was nice that GM did away with that motor nonsense, but it would have helped to spend a couple of bucks on a shock-absorber unit added to the current set-up. would make it much classier.

The adjustment was very easily done; I had to do both sides to reduce the force enough, but you could also just do one side if the amount of change you're looking for is not that great. The adjustment process itself took 10 seconds per side; taking the panels down took most of the time.

I wish I'd done this long ago, instead of putting up with such "uncilivilzed" behavior for so long. (one time, coming across the US/CAN border, the officer asked me to pop the trunk lid while I was still in the car and he was standing right next to the rear: he wasn't amused!).

You just need a long socket the size of the rod, use the socket wrench to leverage the end of the rod up abit out of the notch, then down to the next notch. A large flat-blade screwdriver also helped pop it out of its notch. That's all !

Thanks

Curiosity makes me ask this. What notch were your bars in before you adjusted them? What notch are they in now?

Don

two notches on each side; they were in the top notches and now they're in the bottom ones You said that for some reason these torque rods tend to increase in stiffness with age (which seems kinda contrary to physics), but I guess that was the case here; so now there's nowhere else to go, eh?

Curiosity makes me ask this. What notch were your bars in before you adjusted them? What notch are they in now?

Don

two notches on each side; they were in the top notches and now they're in the bottom ones You said that for some reason these torque rods tend to increase in stiffness with age (which seems kinda contrary to physics), but I guess that was the case here; so now there's nowhere else to go, eh?

No, I meant that your situation would suggest that they increase with age. It just seemed wierd, as the trunk lid, with age, should open with less intensity. Your car only has two notches? Mine has three, strange. the only thing that should cause a trunk lid to do that, is if it somehow got lighter. Like if you removed a spoiler, the carpeting, etc. Oh well, glad you got it figured out.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

No, nothing changed from stock;

Like I noted, it rises up perfectly now, almost like it has a damper. I wish I'd done this earlier: such a hassle to run back there each time, to prevent it from slamming up. Now I don't have to be standing right there each time I open the trunk.

Archived