CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 Deville Surging

I have a 1994 Deville. 4.9L. The check engine soon light came on. I can feel the car surging especially when I am comming to a stop. After I turn the car off and restart it seems to correct itself until the next day. My codes are:

P030

P039

P055

P098

No IPC

No ACP

No SIR

PCM?

Please help?

P030 (E030) ................................................... ISC RPM out of range

P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

P055 (E055) ............................... Closed Throttle Angle Out of Range [TPS]

P098 (E098) .................................... High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC

PCM? is asking if you want to enter the PCM mode.

Most seem to be ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor related. Probably due for replacement.

I assume all codes where current as opposed to history?

For future reference, you can get the code definitions here.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

I adjusted the idle screw on the ISC motor so that the throttle lever is not touching the screw. Every time I rev the eng. the screw turns out a little bit. It seems to me that the idle will increase after a few days again. Do I need to replace the ISC motor or do you think clearing the codes will stop this issue.

P030 (E030) ................................................... ISC RPM out of range

P039 (E039) ..... Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem

P055 (E055) ............................... Closed Throttle Angle Out of Range [TPS]

P098 (E098) .................................... High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC

Most seem to be ISC (Idle Speed Control) motor related. Probably due for replacement.

Is your Throttle Body (TB) clean? Carbon deposits in bores and on backsides of plates can cause idle speed related codes in your list.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I adjusted the idle screw on the ISC motor so that the throttle lever is not touching the screw. Every time I rev the eng. the screw turns out a little bit. It seems to me that the idle will increase after a few days again. Do I need to replace the ISC motor or do you think clearing the codes will stop this issue.

If the screw is not maintaining it's position, the ISC adjustment will change (and will NEVER be right) causing driveability issues. See if you can remove the screw and apply some blue lock-tite on the screw. Adjust the ISC and let the loc-tite cure for 24 hours. You might also use some of the wicking grade loctite that can be added to the adjustment screw after you perform the adjustment - it will work its way into the threads. At any rate, let it cure for 24 hours before starting the engine.

If that doesn't work, you will probably need to replace the ISC motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived