CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

(OT)If I were to sell the caddy what should i buy?

Now its not that I have anything wrong with cadillacs but haveing just turned 17 and with a minimum wage job( and I just spent at least 800 bucks tryin to figure out what was killing the battery on it) it has crossed my mind a few times I think ill put it for sale for a reasonible price and see what I can get for it. I will definitly be buying another one in the next few years dont get me wrong I love them ive just been haveing a few problems here and there that I cant afford to fix. So what would be the best car for me well since everyone on here are pretty much educated on all cars I was wondering if anyone on here has or has had a 97-00 grand prix GTP, 93-97 V8 camaro/firebird or a 94-98 mustang gt. What do you guys think of these cars would be the next best thing to my STS? DO you think I should keep my STS any input would be great as I dont have a clue what to do here.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I understand your concern, but let's face it: most 16 year olds don't start at the top of the pymarid or, for that matter, the paradigm. You don't *need* a Cadillac.

If you can't afford the repairs, you can't afford to own the automobile. That's simply that.

In the meantime, enjoy that Camaro/Firebird/Mustang thing. Parts are cheap for those. And backyard mechanics are a dime-a-dozen.

After you get an education and a few bucks under your belt we'll look forward to seeing you back here.

Lookin' forward,

Warren :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Have fun and take risks when you are young. Get a sports car. A Miata would be a good one. When you are an adult with kids and a mortgage a 4 door STS will be just fine, do not go for the 2 door when you have kids, your back will regret it. ( Kid car seats ) Get a car that will make you happy. There will be plenty of time for wearing a frown when your six feet under the ground. Good luck.

Consider this, you didn't consult with this board for about a month regarding your dying battery. When you DID, you got strong advice on how to diagnose the problem and that advice may have narrowed down your problem and ultimately fixed that problem. The next time you need to come here quickly to get info from all of the talented people here, I learned a LOT from your battery dying problem on diagnostics.

That said, the winters where you live are brutal, not that I have experienced it, I can only imagine. The vehicles you mentioned (Camaro/Firebird/Mustang) will be horrible in the snow.

Personally I would keep the caddy.... but you know me... :lol: Good Luck with whatever decision you make..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

. . . . a 4 door STS will be just fine, do not go for the 2 door

Hey! Hey! Hey! What's wrong with a 2-door Seville?

Regards,

Warren :D:P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Eldo, Eldo, Eldo.

Personally I would keep the caddy.... but you know me... :lol: Good Luck with whatever decision you make..

BBF,

I think he's already indicated he can't afford to keep the Caddy . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I beg your pardon, his last sentence was this:

DO you think I should keep my STS any input would be great as I dont have a clue what to do here

I think he was looking for opinions and I gave mine

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Eldo, Eldo, Eldo.

Well there you go!

Regards,

Warren :D:D:P

Posted Image

. . . . ive just been haveing a few problems here and there that I cant afford to fix (emphasis Mine -WarrenJ).

BBF,

Your opinion is always welcome. indeed sought after. Mine was that he couldn't continue to afford the car.

Opinions are like that. :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

P.S. You ever gonna visit me at work?

Posted Image

I look at it this way, unless you drive a car out of the showroom and have a warranty, you are going to have repairs expenses.

The other day, we got about 2 inches of snow on Long Island, and at the beginning it turned to ICE... I was driving my wifes Monte Carlo. It is front wheel drive, it has traction control and ABS. AND its a GM car. I was all over the highway, the traction control was on constantly, and I felt very unsafe.

I needed to pick my daughter up from school on the south shore ( I am on the north shore). I took my DEVILLE. My DEVILLE felt solid and I felt safe, it was a day and night comparison and the Monte Carlo felt like a TOY compared to the Cadillac. If I was served a steady diet of winter weather there is no other car I would rather be in than the Cadillac.

You are going to have repairs with every car you own in my opinion. This battery dying problem we a fluke.

. . . . My DEVILLE felt solid and I felt safe, it was a day and night comparison and the Monte Carlo felt like a TOY compared to the Cadillac. If I was served a steady diet of winter weather there is no other car I would rather be in than the Cadillac.

Yup.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

You are always going to have to fix a car. It should be a rite of passage to have to work on your car when you are young, you do not have the money to pay someone else to work on your car so you learn to do it yourself. This is a good thing. Builds character and keeps the people who sell tools in business. A person should ask themselve's, why do I need a car? To get around? For Work? For fun? To attract a mate? A combination of all those things? If you want reliable transportation buy a Toyota. If you have to drive in hideous weather over unimproved roads buy a Jeep. If you want too do it all and attract the oposite sex drive a Caddilac. Crud, just had to get that in. Any how, find a car that fits your needs, make it fun cuase you be young, feel that you can handle the repairs and that parts can be puchased locally. May the car you eventually get, or keep, bring you many memories, more fond than rotten. Have fun in the process.

If you want too do it all and attract the oposite sex drive a Caddilac.

I *think* I could live with that . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

The cars you mentioned are not going to be much cheaper to repair (they all have computers/fuel injection/etc, just like the Caddy's). Not to mention that the cars you have mentioned are cars that younger people buy and not only beat the crap out of, but typically do not do the scheduled maintenance either. Therefore they could actually be more expensive.........because more will go wrong with a car not taken care of. If you want dependability, in all honesty, go with a Toyota (any Toyota) or a Civic. Any lexus with under 150k on it is quite depedable too.........but then again......made by Toyota and expensive to purchase upfront.

The cars you mentioned are not going to be much cheaper to repair (they all have computers/fuel injection/etc, just like the Caddy's). Not to mention that the cars you have mentioned are cars that younger people buy and not only beat the crap out of, but typically do not do the scheduled maintenance either. Therefore they could actually be more expensive.........because more will go wrong with a car not taken care of. If you want dependability, in all honesty, go with a Toyota (any Toyota) or a Civic. Any lexus with under 150k on it is quite depedable too.........but then again......made by Toyota and expensive to purchase upfront.

Lexis and Toyoto parts are *more* expensive than Cadillac parts if you can believe that. Neither are they near as cheap as simple GM parts.

I don't expect 17 year-olds are concerned a whit about dependability. That's why they are in the driveway every weekend.

Some of them, G*d help us, even illuminate their under chassis! (Oh, excuse me, those are the Toyata folk).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Well for those of you that mentioned the problems in the winter I bearly drive in the winter now because I only work in the summer and on the weekends im always out to a party or something where i am to impared to drive :P So really the only time I drive in the winter is to go to school and back, and my parents have already told me I can use there cars for that. Its the summer that I almost live in my car so thats no problem at all. As for civcs and toyotas there nice cars and all but when I pull up to a light beside someone I like it when 9 times outa 10 I no that I can take them it just makes me feel better about the car i'm driveing :D Im not sure what Im going to do I think I will put the Cadillac for sale 4,000 canadain and if it doesnt sell by the summer I will keep it and start fixing some of the little rust spots and things that bug me maybe stick some wheels on it and even paint it someday.....and your right I will have to fix anything I buy its just nice to no that that there are mustangs and camaros in the junkyards just waiting to have good parts pulled off them when I would need them, but STS's are fairly rare around here.

What kinds of cars did you guys have for your first car?

That question should get quite a convorsation going :P

user posted image

My first car was a wrecked 68 427/435 Vette that I never got out of my backyard,

2) 68 Olds Starfire 421 ci (had two weeks, LOL)

3) 64 Pontiac Grand Prix 389 ci with slimjim tranny (sold to my sister and the tranny blew a seal on her first trip, ouch)

4) 66 Cadillac Coupe Conv 429 ci

i have a 97gtp and a 96sts. both have 100k miles. the sts is a totally different animal. quieter, more mass, just feels solid compared to the gtp. the gtp is my sons car but he's at school and wants to sell it so i drive it sometimes. we had a 98gt before and this gtp has a much firmer ride. aftermarket struts but stock? springs and it rides like heck. the drivers seat feels like a granite slab. i would like to put on new struts/springs to see if the ride improves. and do something about the darn seat. it probably worth 6k since its in good shape. if you tried to find a 4k gtp, it would be pretty rough. even a nice GT is gonna be tough to find for 4k.

i have a 97gtp and a 96sts. both have 100k miles. the sts is a totally different animal. quieter, more mass, just feels solid compared to the gtp. the gtp is my sons car but he's at school and wants to sell it so i drive it sometimes. we had a 98gt before and this gtp has a much firmer ride. aftermarket struts but stock? springs and it rides like heck. the drivers seat feels like a granite slab. i would like to put on new struts/springs to see if the ride improves. and do something about the darn seat. it probably worth 6k since its in good shape. if you tried to find a 4k gtp, it would be pretty rough. even a nice GT is gonna be tough to find for 4k.

Well Im not just goin to buy a car for 4 thousand I have some money saved up as well you say you want 6 for your gtp I prusume that american though???

user posted image

oh yea, its for sale. thats US$ also. most GTP's in the 6k range have 150k miles too. we put on a complete exhaust last fall. new DP,cat,resonator,magnaflow muffs and SST tips. full window tint, new tires and battery. man, it keeps adding up. and now new struts? i gotta slow down.

there was an interesting comment in the road test by edmunds on the 06 impala SS with the small block dod v8: they compared the handling/ride to an 03 seville, controlled, comfortable, and easy to live with on a daily basis. that comparision caught my eye. the last thing i would want to give up is the ride quality of the caddy but still have some semblance of handling through the twisties. they had nothing but praise for the car; except for the brakes...the stops were on the longish side.

jackg 90seville 100k

My first cars (a two for one deal) were a 74 Nova and a 70 nova. I drove the 74 while I was restoring the 70. It was an SS 4-speed car. Took 4 years to restore due to the fact that I was constantly having to put money into the 74! Trans here, driveshaft there, shocks, springs, etc. Ahh to be young and poor again!

I would by a Mustang if I was you, every young person should have one! The rear wheel drive factor makes them so much more fun to drive. I would go with a 88-93 LX notchback , 5.0 5 speed. Cheaper insurance than a GT, and faster. You should be able to pick up a mint one with 80-90,000 miles on it for around 6-7 grand canadian.

Archived