CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad oil level sensor?

Nikolai

My check engine oil level message comes and goes. I top it off anyway, just to be safe, but if I drive it, and it says it, I'll park, go do what I was doing, come back, start up, and the message won't reappear. Anyone have that happen to them?

The sensors do fail. But what you are seeing could be the difference between cold oil level and hot oil level.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yup, mine did that until it eventually read "CHECK OIL LEVEL" constantly. A new sensor solved the problem. Others have reported similar experiences.

The sensor is adjacent to the oil filter and is easy and inexpensive to change.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 5 years later...

didnt want to start a new post so this one is perfect.

My 96 Deville said check oil level the other day, so I checked the oil and it was low but not off the stick(which is when the message usually would appear) the level was up to the bottom dip of the safe section, this was cold..

So I let it go and ran it. now when it was warm it was about half way up.

So I think my leevel sensor may be going bad. I did put in 1 quart of oil just to try it but it made no difference.

The oil level is good and the message still comes on.

The message comes on only when I turn the key on but I have not seen it come on when running.

can anyone confirm that this is likely my level sensor? and also how to change the sensor? thanks.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

thank you very much, I hope this is also where my minor oil leak is coming from. High hopes but you never know.

I have decided not to drive the car until I get the sensor installed though as that 1 quart I added brought it up too much. to the top of the plastic section of the dipstick.

Is there any issues I might run into on this replacement or is it straight forward? I see someone menioned about a crossmember issue

GM FAN FOREVER

thank you very much, I hope this is also where my minor oil leak is coming from. High hopes but you never know.

I have decided not to drive the car until I get the sensor installed though as that 1 quart I added brought it up too much. to the top of the plastic section of the dipstick.

Is there any issues I might run into on this replacement or is it straight forward? I see someone menioned about a crossmember issue

As of about a month ago I've now changed the oil level sensor in three Eldorados: my '95, my '98, and now my '01. In every case the false messages were also accompanied by an oil leak. The worst part of the job is changing the oil. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

well it is done. Piece of cake. sensor wasnt even tight. 35.00 from GM(discount).

By far the worst part of the job was unplugging the plug from the sensor. At least they put an access hole in the new one. it took longer to get the plug off than to do everything else.

Added 7 quarts oil. message is gone.

Only question I have is I am guessing the original sensor is mmissing 2 pieces. from the tip. they just fall in the pan?

GM FAN FOREVER

Only question I have is I am guessing the original sensor is mmissing 2 pieces. from the tip. they just fall in the pan?

Yep. No harm done.

Posted Image

Archived