CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Road Trip!

JohnnyG

Just got back from my "Winter Getaway". Went down to Orlando by way of Savannah and Jacksonville, 2000 mile round trip. The '99 STS was GREAT! I didn't get the fuel mileage this time that I did last time, averaged 25.6 for the entire trip, respectable, but last time went 27.5. I blame that mostly on the engine oil that I am currently using.

I suppose a Deville might make a better cruiser, but I cannot imagine, the way traffic is today, where it might excel. I ran down through the West Virginia Turnpike, very mountainous with many sharp curves. The car handled everything that was thrown at it. I passed MANY Infinities along the way, particularly in the mountains. All of this with a FULL load of luggage.

The mostly cured front end shimmy seemed to diminish with every passing mile. The temp gauge never budged from dead center! The car handled perfectly. Outstanding power for passing or cruising. Excellent braking. Great climate control system. Comfortable but controllable ride. And good economy. Who could ask for more?

Thanks GM, Thanks to all on this board, and Thanks bbobyynski!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Yes, Cadillacs make great touring cars -- cars that you can actually use to travel in. Your car gets great mileage; my 96 STS never got much over 22 mpg at 75 mph on the flatlands, much less in mountains.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Howyadoin,

Good deal! I'm looking forward to repeating my Boston to Indy pilgrimage this year in my new '96 SLS. My '93 STS did the run in 2001, and it was perhaps her finest hour. There's no better road trip vehicle IMHO than a Seville; big, comfy and refined, but also having enough handling and stones to get you out of any trouble that might arise. Combine all that with superb reliability and you're cruisin' Caddy-style, baby!

Indy, Nova Scotia, NYC, the White Mountains, the Berkshires, Lime Rock Park... She never let me down...

...sniff...

Sorry, I'm getting all verklempt, please talk among yourselves...

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

...sniff...

Kind of gets you in the "gunecktiguzoink".......

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

...sniff...

Kind of gets you in the "gunecktiguzoink".......

Here is a topic... industrial revolution... it was neither industrial, nor a revolution... discuss...

Back to the original post... I just drove from Boston back down to Daytona Beach. I averaged 85-90 from Virgina down to Jacksonville and got an average of 22.5 MPG. The whole state of South Carolina I was in a freight train doing 90 at 2 in the morning. We didnt hit our breaks once in 80 miles... it was fun watching your mileage increase at that speed.

Police if you are reading this... I swear it was uhm... not my fault... It was the car's fault... it just made me do it.. :ph34r:

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Planning the same trip but in reverse this July.Did it last tine with the '92 Deville and really enjoyed it. Can not wait to get the Eldo in the mountains. All flat land here in FL and not as much of a chalenge as up north.

I'm leaving cold old MI in the AM for the sunny Orlando area.

People ask me "are you going to fly". They just dont realize that, for me, the best part of the vacation is the drive. And theres nothing better to drive than a Caddy for a long distance trip.

I'll report back week after next.

Later, Bill

Mike D, I was on that train once! Seems as though parts of 95 take on a life of their own at times. It didn't happen this trip, but the last....it was amazing. I actually got to thinking that the route markers were being mistaken as the speed limit!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Everyone probably has their own favorite piece of Interstate between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM. But do not pass up the opportunity to drive I-90 across Montana.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived