CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help Please

STSJohn

I got a problem and hopefully one of you can help me out, Last night I went out and parked the car no problems at all now this morning I go out and puit the key in the ignition, but I get a message stating "service theft System" and the car dose not turn over, also there is no codes has any body else had this problem? by the way is a 1998 Cad STS

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

I got a problem and hopefully one of you can help me out, Last night I went out and parked the car no problems at all now this morning I go out and puit the key in the ignition, but I get a message stating "service theft System" and the car dose not turn over, also there is no codes has any body else had this problem? by the way is a 1998 Cad STS

Have a look at this page in the How-To section:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/passkey.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I was getting a theft alarm message, car may not restart. A previous poster suggested that I clean the resistor with alcohol. They also mentioned that a heavy key ring may be biasing the key in the slot.

I cleaned the resistor and still had the problem, but when I used the detachable feature on my key ring and had only the ignition key and the remote fob thing on the ring I no longer get the alarm message.

Your '98 STS uses the PASS-Key III system; there is a transponder in the key (no need to go looking for a resistor). Try the 'other' key if you have it, or the master bar coded key if you have that one.

A dealer or an experienced locksmith will be able to help you.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks guys for your help thus far I tried both keys with no luck. I may be forced to call my dealer up to come pick up the car

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

check your battery voltage

everytime my battery died I get this "service theft system" message, sometimes a "service airbag" message, but strangely enough no "battery low" message.

I know this sounds like a "duh" answer but we had our buddy who is the very experienced lead mechanic at the area's top Benz dealership not be able to diagnose what was wrong with our Benz and spent about $350 elsewhere to find out that the only thing wrong is the battery had died.

Thanks guys for all you efforts in trying to help me, but yesturday I had to call the dealership because nothing seemed to work. It turned out that the starter went, but they are unsure why the theft message was sent

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

Thanks guys for all you efforts in trying to help me, but yesturday I had to call the dealership because nothing seemed to work. It turned out that the starter went, but they are unsure why the theft message was sent

Starters do not go all the sudden. The will most likely replace the ignition lock or switch. You have to rely on their honesty now, which is not the best thing to do moneywise.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

[Having same problem this morning...what a coincidence....had to take my wife's car.

I am going to measure the wiring and see if it matches my key if the wd40 or contact cleaner doesn't do the job.

must be a broken wire or bad contact on mine .... measured Meg ohms when reading my key through the wiring harness. Soldered in proper resistance and voila! started right up. My car is pretty old so I don't think I will have it repaired properly.

• 4 weeks later...

the very best solution for your problem and others with the key with the button (resister) is to by pass the ignition module--this is straight forward and completely effective--first determine the resistance of the key--either buy a cheap digital volt/ohm meter or borrow one or go to a mechanic and measure the resistance--with the meter in resistance (ohm) range and the range in 2K (0-2000 ohms) put one probe on the silver metal top of the button and the other on the other read the resistance should be 300 to 1500 ohms--maybe out of this range---or the dealer can look up the resistance by the key code or go to the info site and find key codes--once you know the resistance go to radio shack and tell them that you need a resistor of that value or an assortment radio shack #271-308 that you can build a resistor that matches the one in the key--in fact just go to radio shack with your key, let them measure it and help you build a resistor--

either go to a good mechanic that has access to the schematic of your pass key system and give him the resistor and ask him to put it in the circuit--this will take less than an hour and cost about $60-80--or do it your self---THIS WILL WORK GREAT, BUT IT WILL DISABLE PART OF THE THEFT PREVENTION SYSTEM--the car will always beleive that the key has the correct resistance in it--NOW YOU CAN BUY SPARE KEYS FOR $1

NOT $30 ps i have done this twice, once this very day

Starters do not go all the sudden. The will most likely replace the ignition lock or switch. You have to rely on their honesty now, which is not the best thing to do moneywise.

When you called the stealership did you hear the "money money money money......money money money.....monnneyyy" song playing in the background?....Theft detterent message reasults in a bad starter?....Sorry to say but my bet is you just got taken for an expensive ride....

A.J.

Hey guy's,

I had the same problem with my 94STS. The problem started happening once a month, started about 6-months ago. I thought it was the ignition going bad. Last week i could not start the car at all. Good thing i had the day off from work. Turns out it was my after market viper alarm. I had the alarm in the car for over a year with no problems until now. As soon as i disconnected the alarm, my caddy started right up. Going on a week strong now, and not one problem. Even though the remote start is good in the winter, its not worth getting stuck. I will just stick with the factory alarm

Archived