CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help. Starting problems.

Caddyjag

Hello. I own 2 Cadillacs. A 94 SLS and a 98 Eldorado. The 1994 Seville has been having some starting problems lately. What it does is that I turn the ignition switch on and it doesn't crank or do anything at all. Only the instrument panel comes on. If I turn the ignition switch on and hold the key there, the instrument lights stay on and then after about 20 seconds the car then suddenly comes alive and starts. I have no idea what is going on. The battery has been checked and it's good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Caddyjag

Hello. I own 2 Cadillacs. A 94 SLS and a 98 Eldorado. The 1994 Seville has been having some starting problems lately. What it does is that I turn the ignition switch on and it doesn't crank or do anything at all. Only the instrument panel comes on. If I turn the ignition switch on and hold the key there, the instrument lights stay on and then after about 20 seconds the car then suddenly comes alive and starts. I have no idea what is going on. The battery has been checked and it's good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Caddyjag

Could be the PRND switch Try to start in Neutral.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Have you checked the positive battery cables for corrosion where they stack up and connect to the battery?

If the battery is good and there is not any corrosion beween the positive cables, the problem could be the starter solenoid or the ignition switch. After you've ruled out the simple items, remove the starter and take it to a Delco starter/alternator rebuilder and have them test it. I would NOT install a chain store starter - you'll be doing the job again sooner than you expected....

If the starter checks out, the problem may be a defective ignition switch.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Could be a corroded battery cable or cracked battery cell. Pull the battery cables and check them carefully, look for green corrosion.

The cracked battery cell is obviously invisible and can be intermittant. You could try buying a new cheap battery at Kragens, if your battery is more than 3 years old it could be broken internally.

Caddyjag

Could be the PRND switch Try to start in Neutral.

Archived