CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil filter part number change PF58->PF61

nitrous1

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I thought I'd mention it. I changed the oil in my STS over the weekend and found out that AC-Delco has discontinued the PF58 filter and replaced it the PF61.

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I thought I'd mention it. I changed the oil in my STS over the weekend and found out that AC-Delco has discontinued the PF58 filter and replaced it the PF61.

Correct. This particular filter (which is also used on Oldsmobile V8 engines) has undergone a few part number changes over the years, for some reason. I believe it was PF-45 when I started buying them, in the late 1990s. Then they went to PF-58 and now to PF-61. Before too long, we'll be in the triple digits! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Good, thanks for posting. I don't see much info on why they changed from one to the other, but there is some info on oil filters in general here:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtooilfilters.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

GM is combining filter applications.

About a year ago, GM discontinued the PF-25 filter and replaced it with the PF-454. The PF-454 is about half the size of the PF-25... :unsure:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm running a Fram oil filter. Has anyone ever noticed a difference in bransds? Which brand is the best? I change my oil every 3k religiously or when the indicator tell me too (if its before 3k). So I wouldn't think it would matter but just wanted to ask.

Thanks for the info on the filter number change

-Roswell-

I'm running a Fram oil filter.  Has anyone ever noticed a difference in bransds?  Which brand is the best?  I change my oil every 3k religiously or when the indicator tell me too (if its before 3k).  So I wouldn't think it would matter but just wanted to ask.

Thanks for the info on the filter number change

-Roswell-

Honestly, Fram is the absolute worst oil filter out there, following independant tests. The glue holding them together is a joke.

If you all remeber, Fram products actually disappeard off the shelfs for a while a few years back. This was during the middle of a large liability lawsuit, involvling quality discrepancies. Fram settled the suit, and is back, with apparantly no improvement. (You can thank their lawyers for that, with all the junk the sold, they could afford good ones.)

If I had a Fram oil filter on any of my motors, I'd perform any early change...I know, anal maybe, butt what can it hurt? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I concur with BobD. I only use AC-Delco filters on my Seville. It's a very good filter (following the ind. tests) at a fairly reasonable price. Trouble is, it's only available at your automotive retail stores, like Advance or Autozone, etc. Wal-Mart used to sell the AC-Delco filters...now all they sell is STP or Fram or something. I buy my oil (Havoline lately) at Wal-Mart and go down the road and get my filter at Advance. Just gives me more time to be out in the car on a nice Saturday. :)

On my Nissan truck, I'm using the standard Purolator filter. Unlike AC-Delco filters, the OEM Nissan filters are only available at the dealership, for something like 8 bucks per! What a racket! No thanks... The Purolator works just fine in that vehicle. It would probably work for you too, if you can't find AC-Delco or something.

I just follow the old GM mantra: "Keep your GM all GM with AC-Delco parts." Anyone know when they stopped putting that small decal under the hood? My two G-bodies from the '80s had that little decal on the air cleaner on top of the carburetor. Anyone here have a Caddy with that little decal on it?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

"Keep your GM all GM with AC-Delco parts." Anyone know when they stopped putting that small decal under the hood? My two G-bodies from the '80s had that little decal on the air cleaner on top of the carburetor. Anyone here have a Caddy with that little decal on it?

My '78 Caprice Classic had that decal and I think my Dad's '85 Fleetwood Brougham had it. My '93 Fleetwood Brougham does not have the decal so I'd guess it was dropped in the late '80s.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I concur with BobD. I only use AC-Delco filters on my Seville. It's a very good filter (following the ind. tests) at a fairly reasonable price. Trouble is, it's only available at your automotive retail stores, like Advance or Autozone, etc. Wal-Mart used to sell the AC-Delco filters...now all they sell is STP or Fram or something.

The only place I can buy AC Delco filters is at AutoZone and most of the time, they are out of stock....I never had a problem finding them when they werre available from Meijers and K-Mart.

Purolator seems to be an acceptable substitue. Fram has an awful reputation.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived