CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Continental vs. BFGoodrich

Looking for some new shoes, doing some online shopping today. My new wheels from Cardio-doc will be here today or tomorrow so... :D

Looking for comments or experience with these three models or similar tires (price and capabilities) We get enough snow around here that I need a pretty good all-season tire, and these three seem like they got pretty good reviews. They are all right in the same price range of $80-90 ea. in a 225/60/16.

Here are the links...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...iPremierContact

That one didn't come in a V rated, but got good ratings...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...iExtremeContact

V rated, not quite as good of traction in snow rating but very good cantidate...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...raction+T%2FA+V

Hadn't heard of this one before, nasty looking tread! :P ... New model? Looks like they would reall bite in snow, but may be a little mushier in turns. Surprisingly still gets good ratings with ride noise...

The last two look like unidirectional tread... Only rotate front to back?

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

No comments? :unsure: I did notice later that DaveDog had started a similar thread about tires, but didn't see anything there discussing these particular brands/models I am looking at.

I guess I am leaning more towards the Continental ExtremeContact contact. It does seem like more of a High Performance All Season than the other Continental. The BFG's look interesting, but without much tracking on history and successes...

I wish I could afford to put a set on both sets of rims that I have, but the 2004 STS rims will be on all year I think. I will probably be selling the 93 Eldorado wheels with the Mentor HPZ-760 (Z rated) tires on them. What do you think these wheels are worth? They are in fantastic cond., but the tires only have about 3-4/32 tread left. Hey... they grip like crazy when it is dry!! :lol:

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the new tires mounted on the SLS rims and slipped them on tonight. I ended up buying the BFG Traction T/A's. I am very happy with the ride, very smooth and quiet. The traction (on dry pavement) is dramatically improved. When I stood on it from a rolling start the tires just bit down hard. Usually there would be some tire spin, and then the traction control would take over. I would also feel a lot of torque steer, darting from one side to the other.

Expecting some rain/snow tomorrow, so there may be a test for thast type of road surface soon. I did notice there is a little more sidewall flex, hence the smoother ride, but still a very good-handling feeling in corners. B)

Thanks for the update on the tires. A lot of discussion on this board about tires. Michelin seems to be quite popular with a lot of Cadillac owners.

I don't recall many, if any comments on BFG tires.

I had the original TA's on my Corvette for many years. They were great.

I replaced them with Goodyears, and I don't like them as well as the TAs.

Currently have Bridgestone on the STS. They have been an excellent tire.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I have just put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the STS. Only had them a week or so and am very impressed. AAA rateing and 400 tread ware. Costly but IMO worth it. These puppys should go 90,000 plus miles. The Goodyear RSA went 50,000 miles with at least 10,000 left. Their ware rateing was only 260. Ya there pricey but you can't spend enough on quality and performance.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the tires... another member had asked for a follow-up, so I thought I would post here. Have about 1,600 mi. on them now.

Very happy with the BFG Traction T/As on my Eldorado. They really live up to the traction part of there name as they really grip the road! Wet cornering is much more enjoyable when you feel confident that you can accelerate when needed! Even with the traction control disabled, they really bite down hard. :P Tested them once in marginal snow last month, and was satisfied there too. Will wait till next winter to give them the true test...

I am also impressed with the ride and minimal road noise, considering both the aggressive looking tread and reasonable cost. They look great on the car, and high speed cornering has a very stable fealing as well. These tires are just $86 ea. at www.tirerack.com! ;)

I went with a local tire shop for $115 ea., including mount, balance, and tax. I like to give them a chance at the business if they can come close to the cost...

I actually have Firestone AFFINITY 225/60/16 HR touring tires on my STS...

The tires were about 90 each mounted/balanced/installed...I dont get much snow here(FLORIDA B) so that part was never an issue...These have been satisfactory to me..traction is good, road noise is low, and wear seems to be decent. Good Luck

Thanks Sprucegoose!

At that price and performance, they look to be a great buy. I also like the look of the BFG Traction TA's tread pattern.

Yup, I really like the looks of the tires too! Mine are V-rated, athough because my car was originally produces with S-rated tires so it has a speed limiter... :( Aggressive looking tread and nice looking sidewall appearance, especially when shined up like in my pics in this post.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=908

I wish I would have taken a better pic, just finishing up the roll of film in an old snapshot camera. Will get better pics eventually!

I also have theBFGoodrich Traction T/As H rated and am very satified with the ride on dry pavement, rainy pavement, and icey pavement. I also like the look. I am a satisfied customer. I have had them for about a month.

ByStorm

I have put 2500 miles on my new 225-50-16 BFGoodrich Traction TA tires. I am extremely satisfied. Road noise is much quieter and traction is outstanding. I used them at the 1/8 mile drag strip two weeks ago and ran a 9.5 at 78 mph. I use 255-50-16 BFGoodrich Drag Radials normally. I experienced a little wheel spin in 1st gear with the tires, but I think the small diameter of the traction ta tires gave me a better gear ratio letting post similar times. I bought the tires at Sears and they price matched Costco's prices. I paid $435 including mounting and lifetime balancing.

I like several of you do like the BFG T/A tires. I had them on my 5.0 mustang before selling it. Quiet and very good traction. I think I picked up mine for $115 per tire(price matched at Tire Kingdom-Costco had the price) in size 245/50/16

I have just put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the STS. Only had them a week or so and am very impressed. AAA rateing and 400 tread ware. Costly but IMO worth it. These puppys should go 90,000 plus miles. The Goodyear RSA went 50,000 miles with at least 10,000 left. Their ware rateing was only 260. Ya there pricey but you can't spend enough on quality and performance.

Rick

If you think your Michelin Pilots will last 90,000 miles, prepare to be dissapointed. I put the Z-rated Pilots on my '95 STS a few years ago and I have to say I was really shocked at hot fast they wore out. They showed major wear at 10,000 miles and I would guess 75% gone at 20,000 miles when I finally traded my car in.

Archived