CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

what should I buy

davedog

looking into buying a new set of tires for my 1992 Eldorado Touring Coup. What should I get? I want an all-around good tire, with a smooth quiet ride.

thanks for your opinions!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

If you need not negotiate snow or ice, I really like Yokohama AVS ES and sport tires. I got a set for $400, and the traction rating is AA. You would be surprised at how much more control you have over your car when you get some good performance tires.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I am running cooper tires sle touring h rated and i like them better than the michelins which were the original tires Much cheaper and american made smooth quiet and handle very well. Actually all around in my opinion it's better tire than michelins on the dts. These tire have a soft sidewall nice and it helps with the ride over bumps and they work well under all conditions wet ,dry and snow.

Cheers

Jim

I just dressed the tires up today first time in 4 months since i put some dressing on them. The pic does not show it too well.

picture.JPG

Hi darreld

It was a deal I could not pass up The tire shop i deal with swears by these over the michelins. I originally was going with the michelins They said try these for 250 miles if you don't like them we will put the michelins on for the price diff. well I never looked back.and have been happy with them for the past year..

Jim

Hi darreld

It was a deal I could not pass up The tire shop i deal with swears by these over the michelins. I originally was going with the michelins They said try these for 250 miles if you don't like them we will put the michelins on for the price diff. well I never looked back.and have been happy with them for the past year..

Jim

Hello Jim,

I originally tried my first Cooper Cobras on a 89 Mustang GT as a replacement for the stock Goodyear Gatorbacks. Very good handling and excellent treadwear characteristics for a high performance tire.

Bought (2) pairs of Cooper "Grand Am 225 x 60 x 16's about a year apart.

Don't wince, but they were the cheapest, warrente'ed well and I figured a rock would go through 'em before the tread was ever gone.

Both pairs balanced fine, hung on until body roll and centriputal force took over, went fast without throwing tread, chewed through snow/mud etc OK and basically did what a tire has to do I suppose.

Overall appearance is not distinguishable and tread is symetrical, plain vanilla.

Work for me, but I'm certain (like wine) there are better brands with much deserved loyalty.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Can we stop talking about Coopers now? :angry: They may be nice tires, but they are not even in the same league as a Falken, Yokohama, or other performance designed tire. ;) Wet traction is amazing with my Yoko's. Coopers are tires for people who don't have the money for the right tire. :lol:

JUst playin'! Don't send me any hate email! :o

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

They are a bit pricey but BFGoodrich KDW's have also served me well. Excellent road manners on my previous 2001 Mustang GT, currently considering them for an 03 Mustang Mach 1.

Cadillac just replaced my Goodyears on a recall so my CTS won't require new rubber for some time.

P1010793a.jpg

I have Michelin Energy tires on my '94 Eldorado and I like them.

If you like Michelins, you can go on their web site www.michelin.com and click on the "Tire Advisor". It will ask you the year, make, and model of your car then a series of questions about your driving preferences. When it has all your input, it will recommend the best Michelin tire for your needs.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

If you are looking for replacement tires - I don't think you can beat Michelin's at BJ's Wholesale Club. What with mounting, balancing and other fees - the final amount you pay with them is the lowest. Michelin makes some very good tires. I also like Goodyear's (their more expensive tires, not he low-end cheap stuff).

I should also mention about now that I'm a new Vogue Tyre dealer. I only sell brand-new, first-quality Vogue's. CaddyInfo special is on a set of the Vogue Custom Built Radial featuring Vogue's signature white diamond-embossed stripe and gold stripe at $700/set of four plus $70/shipping. This is the latest update in build construction and is called the IX. Vogue makes a premium tire that will last 50,000 miles (with proper rotation). PayPal (credit cards) accepted and I ship very fast and e-mail tracking numbers.

~Doc

Cardio doc sold me some 17" vogues and I love 'em.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

user posted image

Jim DTS,

I don't discriminate, whoever makes the superior product has my money, Japanese or otherwise. Cadillac happens to have it for the automobile, tires, I've had some BFG's that I loved and would buy again, if they weren't so much more than the Yoko's and Falkens...

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

user posted image

Hi Flyer

I do discriminate when it comes to buying american products and buy american products. I try to do my part as an american.If in some small way this helps someone keep there job or adds to a american companies bottom line so that they can keep people employed that's enough for me.I made my monies working for american companies and try to keep my monies in the US.If more americans did this I feel we would not have as many people out of work.Just take a look at all the cut backs,layoffs,plant closings etc. companies have been doing.

Just my 2 cents

Jim

I'm going to have to replace my tires in the next year or so myself. These threads are interesting to me. For me I need a tire that works well in rain, dry and occasional snow weather. I have looked around and I have found since I have the 17 inch wheels the pickins' are a little slim.

Jim White

Hi Jim

I also have the 17in. rims I hear you about the pickin's are slim..Shop around you will find some tires you like. Just make sure that the tire shop puts 17in tires on them A coworker of mine purchased new tires and the tire shop managed to get 16in. tires on them.I told him sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen you better go back and get this taken care of.Come to find out The tire shop had a new kid and managed to get 16in. on the 17in. wheels

Jim

I do discriminate when it comes to buying american products and buy american products. I try to do my part as an american.If in some small way this helps someone keep there job or adds to a american companies bottom line so that they can keep people employed that's enough for me.

In my humble opinion, subsidising poor quality American products doesn't help anybody out, especially us. Like Flyer, I agree that the best tires out there aren't ones that an American company owns (in fact, they're produced here, by American workers). I've owned tires from a lot of "American" companies in the past, including Firestone, BFGoodrich (now owned by Michelin), Kelly-Springfield, and Regul (made by Goodyear). None of them compare to Michelins, in my experience. So I look in my book of experience and think, what good would I be doing to keep buying American products, if the quality is better elsewhere? That's only encouraging poorer quality with American products.

Like I've said before, if Goodyear (or other "American" company) actually made a tire I felt was worth buying, I'd be more than happy to do it. But they don't earn my money simply by being here. I'm employing an American worker whether I buy a Goodyear or a Michelin, and the better tire is always going to get my money.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

It's a free country buy what you want. But getting back to tires Goodyear does make great tires.. You ever take a look at the F1's or drive a car with them They sure handle great.I would have put these on mine if I wanted to loose the ride qualities by going to a performance tire but the performance is awesome..

Cheers

Jim

You ever take a look at the F1's or drive a car with them They sure handle great.I would have put these on mine if I wanted to loose the ride qualities by going to a performance tire but the performance is awesome..

Jim -- never tried the F1s. The only Goodyear tires I've ever been impressed with are on my folks' RV motorhome. Goodyear Marathons. 295/80/22.5s. They're supposed to last at least 100,000 miles, and at 400 bucks a pop, with 8 tires, they had better last! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived