CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hood ornament theft

Chris

Well, as you might have guessed by the title, the crest was stolen off the front of my STS today. :angry: The wreath is still there, but the crest is gone and the grille is all cracked with pieces missing. Kind of surprising they even took it, it was a pretty poor looking emblem (I think the previous owners had replaced it with a non-coloured one).

Anyways, two questions:

1) Is this something that is worth reporting to police? It is a fairly minor crime but is it something they would wan to know about?

2) How much would you expect a grille off a car at a junkyard go for, and is it fairly easy to remove/replace the grilles?

Thanks

-Chris

Also, have any of you guys had similar experiences?

-Chris

If you have theft coverage on your car you might consider going through your coverage since those parts can be a bit pricy.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The grille is not very expensive as a new part. It usually runs a couple hundred dollars. You could probably find a cheaper one from a wrecking yard. As for the color of the emblem, it came that way from the factory. It signifies that it is an STS and not an SLS.

2) How much would you expect a grille off a car at a junkyard go for, and is it fairly easy to remove/replace the grilles?

Thanks

-Chris

Also, have any of you guys had similar experiences?

Give these guys a call...

Better luck!

http://www.cadauto.com/

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

That sucks totally. Nothing worse than destuctive vandalism. A total waste.

Does you insurance include comprehensive coverage? If so, they should cover it no problem. I had my STS "keyed" in a bad section of town a few years ago. My insurance took care of 100%.

Otherwise, try the junkyards and ebay. If I recall, a new grille from the dealer wasn't all that expensive either.

I once had someone try to steal the stickup ornament from my SLS. When I came out and started it up one day (back when I lived in an apartment), I noticed the hood ornament was gone! I got out and it was actually laying down flat, slumped over, violated! Fortunately, they didn't scratch anything...just look like they tried to "unscrew" the ornament from the spring it's "threaded" into. So I just turned it all the way back down and applied a liberal amount of JB Weld to the bottom...making removal from the top now impossible. Thugs. I feel blessed I have a garage to park her in now.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I always worry about my hood ornament... it is brand new too, it is the gold version, I was thinking of going to a junk yard and getting an older gold one for the hood, I am not worried about where I live (middle of no where) but the clowns that go to my High School, and when I go to mall parking lots.... it is just wayyy too tempting.... Also with either ornament I want to wire it up so that when it is pulled up far enough, the horn goes off.....

Sorry i didnt mean hood ornament - rather the one that goes on the grille.

Also, it was definately stolen, the crest is gone (with little pits in the grille from where it was stuck). The wreath had been screwed on and they had tried to take it anyways, but only succeeded in breaking the corner off. I think the pulling at this was what made the grille crack etc.

NightWolf - I have heard that newer Jags have the hood ornaments (it is a few hundred $$ option to get the ornament) conneted to the security system.

Greg P - DId your insurance go up as a result of the keying? I understood that ANY claim (regardless of fault) would raise your insurance.

Anyways, this is all pretty frustrating. I will drive down to London next saturday to see what the scrapyards have to offer.

-Chris

Back in the late 80's One of my friends had a 89 fleetwood. The neighborhood kids were always taking the hood ornament. We had a friend who is an exec. at cadillac and would always get him a new ornament well after about a dozen or so he finally got ticked off,and glued some razor blades to the hood ornament. He did a real good job cutting the razor blades so you could not see them on the ornament.He cut thin strips and glued them on the back of the ornament so from the front or side of the car you could not see them. After a few days sure enough he comes out to his car in the morning blood all over the place on the hood ground etc. well it did not take him long to figure out who the kid was he was checking out the kids looking fo a kid with badages on Moral of the story was they never touched the hood ornament again..Mean thing to do but it was sort of interesting to me,that they left the car alone after that. I told him you were lucky you were not sued. Just thought I'd share this tid bit about hood ornaments

Cheers

Jim

Also with either ornament I want to wire it up so that when it is pulled up far enough, the horn goes off.....

I think there is also a way to wire it up to a capacator so when they lift it to cut the wire they get knocked on their butt. The bad news is you'll probably save the hood ornament at the expense of a windshield when they get up, but it would almost be worth it. :D

;) Where I live we have early 1990s cadillacs at the junk yard. I think its safe to say that you should be able to find one. Then again I live in NY the rust belt and if your car is over 10 years old it probably is showing some wear. Hence, the reason we have alot of cars from that era in our junkyards up here. Sad but true

Archived