CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Recharge Trouble

Brad

Ok guys. Got the AC recharge kit and a few cans of R134a refrigerant and was ready to charge up my Dad's 96 Deville. Followed all instructions on kit and guidelines I have seen before on this site, but no luck.

The directions say to start car, put AC on high and then release the refrigerant. Trouble here is the AC is not sucking the refrigerant into the car. What is the trick here?

The can has been punctured, the valve is open, car is running, but the can remains full. Any ideas here?

Thanks

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Ok, after further research, I disconnected the battery and then reconnected to get the compressor to engage long enough to suck in a can of refrigerant. Only problem now is it only took maybe a third of the can and the AC didn't get cold.

So now I am wondering what else to try. Anybody got any ideas?

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Are you adding it to the low pressure port? It should be near the big silver tube looking thing.

Yes I sure am. From the way this process is described on the board here, it seems to me that the cans empty pretty quickly. Not in my case - it seems the system won't really pull any in and the compressor is on. At least I assume it is on because the car is in "Auto" now and not "Econ."

Stumped a little at the moment. I am wondering if there might be something else wrong in the system that won't allow me to add the refrigerant.....

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Ok guys. Got the AC recharge kit and a few cans of R134a refrigerant and was ready to charge up my Dad's 96 Deville. Followed all instructions on kit and guidelines I have seen before on this site, but no luck.

The directions say to start car, put AC on high and then release the refrigerant. Trouble here is the AC is not sucking the refrigerant into the car. What is the trick here?

The can has been punctured, the valve is open, car is running, but the can remains full. Any ideas here?

Thanks

Usually the instruction say to hold the can in the upright position and charge as a gas. That will take forever. I have found it MUCH faster to hold the can upside down and charge as a liquid. Which way were you holding the can?

Usually the instruction say to hold the can in the upright position and charge as a gas. That will take forever. I have found it MUCH faster to hold the can upside down and charge as a liquid. Which way were you holding the can?

Silly me, I followed the directions and had the can sitting upright. LOL

Maybe upside down will work. So much for easy jobs! :D:D

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

I have found it MUCH faster to hold the can upside down and charge as a liquid.

Larry, thanks for the tip. Had one can left (after shooting two all over the yard!) to try out. Holding upside down did the trick - many thanks.

Now I am off to the auto parts store to get a couple more cans so I can finish the job.

--Brad

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Liquid refrigerant into the compressor will not be a good thing.

I would assume that the low pressure, suction side charge port is upstream of a filter/drier canister. This small vessel should help to drop out the liquid until it is vaporized by the heat. Still, the can's directions are there to protect the refrigerant maker from buying compressors.

Did you consider checking for leaks before adding refrigerant?

Good luck !

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Liquid refrigerant into the compressor will not be a good thing.

I would assume that the low pressure, suction side charge port is upstream of a filter/drier canister. This small vessel should help to drop out the liquid until it is vaporized by the heat. Still, the can's directions are there to protect the refrigerant maker from buying compressors.

Did you consider checking for leaks before adding refrigerant?

Good luck !

The liquid refrigerant vaporizes immediately after entering the system at the accumulator. As long as the liquid is charged through the low side port, the compressor will not be damaged.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

In the future put the can in a bucket of warm to hot water. The warmer it is the faster it comes out. Just not so hot you can't hold your hand in it.

I usually do this first without the engine running until it won't take anymore. You can fill with liquid as long as the car is not running. Sometimes it will fill without even running the engine. If not start the motor to finish it off.

In the future put the can in a bucket of warm to hot water. The warmer it is the faster it comes out. Just not so hot you can't hold your hand in it.

I usually do this first without the engine running until it won't take anymore. You can fill with liquid as long as the car is not running. Sometimes it will fill without even running the engine. If not start the motor to finish it off.

As long as you charge as a liquid through the LOW side port, you can have the engine running.

NEVER charge as a liquid through the high side port with the engine running as the can of refrigerant can explode.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you use a charging manifild (with high and low pressure gages) you can add refrigerant to the high side. If a $10 charging hose is used, it will only be possible to charge to the low side.

I always charge as a liquid through the low side port - the refrigerant will vaporize immediately upon entering the system through the low side port in the accumulator.

Charging as a liquid is faster and you don't need to mess with pans of hot water, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Is it even possible to charge from the high pressure side?

On an evacuated system, it is preferrable to charge liquid into the high side.

just get it evacuated, and recharged with correct ammount of oil & 134, much safer way to go.

Evaporating A/C lubricant is theoretically possible, however, it'd take a laboratory grade vacuum pump, a really tight system, and possibly several days. :) Usually, lubricant is added after a part has been replaced (assuming it was shipped dry), the system is flushed to remove contamination, or there has been a rapid discharge of the system (such as a ruptured hose). Maintaining the correct amount of lubricant is critical to longevity and performance.

Archived