CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What is the best product for cleaning chrome rims?

AaronM

Hi,

I just purchased a set of chrome rims off of eBay. I want to get your opinion on what you think the best product for cleaning and protecting your chrome wheels.

Thanks!

Aaron :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Chrome should not be coated with wax or any other substance including polish because chrome sits on a substrate (be it brass, metal or plastic) and chrome breaths so if you coat it with wax or something else, it could start to bubble and peel.

Clean chrome using rather warm, soapy water ONLY; DON'T use detergents or ammonia based products or window cleaners etc. Rince very well and polish the chrome using a soft cloth, preferably a well-washed terry cloth towel.

http://www.zymol.com/chrome_wash.htm

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I just give them a good spraying with Simple Green, run a bottle brush (the kind that's all plastic - no wire) through the holes, then hose them off. Next, I spray Armour-all on the tires, wipe that down with an Armour-all soaked sponge and, finally, wipe the wheels down with a damp chamois. They look great!

About a year ago, I stripped the factory-applied dull silver paint out of the holes with Graffitti-Off paint stripper. That really improved the wheel's appearance!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I have chrome wheels and I just clean them using a terry cloth towel and car soap

Then just wipe them with a terry cloth towel so the don't water spot and for the past year they still look great but I clean them every week no signs of pitting and they still look like new on an 01..Not bad for 3yr old wheels.

Cheers

Jim

Tirerack states to treat chrome like you would your cars paint job. What works for me is just car wash soap. It coats and softens dirt to help prevent scratching. I recommend putting a coat or 2 of wax. It helps keep brake dust off and protects from harsh road elements. When wiping the wheel down or washing them don't rub too hard to avoid seeing small swirl marks in the chrome. if you have them already a coat or 2 or wax can hide the swirls marks. I probably have about 10 coats of wax on my wheels ! I've had my chrome 20" wheels for close to 2 years and they are still mint. Ya gotta do what you have to when you spend $600+ each on wheels!!

I use Nevr Dull on my chrome wheels. Easy to use and inexpensive. Seems to work great. Good luck.

Nevr Dull is GREAT! It works well on the aluminum parts under your hood too! It works on the wheels (chrome or aluminum), and even on the stainless exhaust tips too. Every garage should have some Eagle One Nevr Dull. Available at Wal-Marts everywhere. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Another endorsement for NEVR-DULL. Works great on any non-painted metal finish.

Ask the guys that keep Air Force One looking good.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived