CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need Help Fast

ted tcb

I have a chance to get into a 99 STS, chrome rims, 165klm, asking $11,500 CDN.

My trade is a 97 STS, white diamond, 132klm, with no flaws, everything has been done from all fluid changes, rotors,pads, belts, tires, cosmetics corrected, you name it. Came from caddy dealer, one owner until me.

The 99 isn't as clean as mine, but I can change that myself ... auction car, no known history, I'm heading over to pull codes. It has some paint chips, but is a pretty car.

I must assume that fluids probably weren't changed by previous owner, and I'll have to invest in preventative maintenance. I noticed the power tilt works when you turn the key off, but doesn't come down automatically when you turn the car on.

Here's my question ... I'm trying to get into this one cheap ... my trade is lower k and much cleaner cosmetically, with a proven maintenance record. How much would you offer this small dealer to trade cars? I'm not interested in his retail vs wholesale nonsense .... would you try for $1,500 difference?

Any responses would be appreciated.

ps: Why trade? ... my car looks similar to a 92, while the new body style could be a '98 to an "04 .... and, I drive super low k's.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

ps: Why trade? ... my car looks similar to a 92, while the new body style could be a '98 to an "04 .... and, I drive super low k's.

Who are you buying the car for? For you...or for what other people see you driving in? If you like the looks of the 92-97 generation, why trade? I don't care that my car looks like something as old as a 1992 model. Age has no meaning...if you like your '97 and know its history, I'd say keep it.

For what it's worth, I think there's more than a $1500 difference between the two cars, but I obviously haven't seen either personally. I would take the blue book value for both, in the condition they're in, and compare them. Be sure to do either retail or wholesale or private party or whatever...just make sure you get the same figure for both so you can directly compare them.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I can run the vin on Carfax for you. I agree with jadcock. If you know your cars history, why take a chance? I found a couple Caddy's near me that caught my attention. One was a 2003 SLS with 10,000 miles for $20,000. Carfax showed the car was involved in an accident where the car overturned. Think I'll pass. Another car, a 2003 CTS (luxury package) with low mileage at $24,000 was also involved in an accident and had frame damage. Lesson learned, if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Good points.

I ran the codes and came up with the following:

DIM 8270

IPC 8087

IPM 6719

RFA 8070

SDM 9810

VDT 8190

MSM 9312

TTM 8250

RSS 8061

ABS 7208

ABS 7205

jh50, the vin is 1G6KY5495XU921966 ... if you could run the vin, that'd be great.

Jason, I hear what you're saying ... the reason for considering the new body style has nothing to do with impressions ... it has everthing to do with further depreciation ... although I prefer the 97 style and will probably happily stay with the devil I know.

Thanks.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I would keep the one you have. My $en$e in that it's a better bet in the long run. ;)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I tried to cut and paste the entire posting but it took up alot of space. Here is a summary. Looks like it has had collision work.

The story of this 1999 CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1G6KY5495XU921966) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:

- This sedan has had 2 owners and was owned in New York. The first title for this sedan was reported to CARFAX by a New York DMV in 1999.

- It was inspected at a collision repair facility after an accident or other incident. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional inspector is recommended.

- It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.

- It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.

- It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 17,735 miles per year, which is higher than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 07/12/2004, was 85,182 miles.

- It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).

Blue Arrow Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.

- Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 12 record(s) for this 1999 CADILLAC SEVILLE STS (1G6KY5495XU921966).

Date:

Mileage Reading:

Source:

General Comments:

05/03/1999 7,387 Dealer Inventory Buffalo, NY Vehicle offered for sale

05/10/1999 Dealer Inventory Buffalo, NY Vehicle offered for sale

09/24/1999 New York Motor Vehicle Dept. East Amherst, NY Registered as

personal vehicle

11/09/1999 7,525 New York Motor Vehicle Dept. East Amherst, NY

Title issued or updated First owner reported

11/07/2001 Dealer Inventory New York Vehicle sold

12/27/2001 25,879 New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Buffalo, NY

Title issued or updated New owner reported Loan or lien reported

07/16/2002 New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Orchard Park, NY

Registration issued or renewed Registered as personal vehicle

07/16/2002 New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Orchard Park, NY Title issued or updated Loan or lien reported

01/29/2004 75,584 Collision Repair Facility New York Vehicle inspected after an

accident or other incident. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional inspector is recommended

07/12/2004 85,182 Ontario Ministry of Transportation Greater Toronto Area

07/12/2004 Ontario Ministry of Transportation Collingwood, ON

07/12/2004 Ontario Ministry of Transportation Registration issued or renewed

Passed safety inspection

Vehicle previously registered in New York

Vehicle color noted as Red

...if you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

This is the thing: CARFAX reports problem only if they were reported.

The bad thing is that very often problems are not reported to DMV at all. And if it's not reported, there is no CARFAX guarantee.

The dealer is supposed to give me a $$ figure this evening.

I don't read codes well, but from what I can gather using the internet, most of the codes I posted have to do with air bag, road suspension system, and communication loss.

Thanks big time to jh50 ... so, the car was repaired in Jan. of 04, collision work ... seems to go with the codes. If the car checks out ok with my mechanic, this gives me much needed information .... thanks again.

I'll report back.

rear_2.JPG

post-3-1121281542_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I think you would be safer to stay with your current Caddy! If you do trade, and there is a reason they are wanting to do a trade on a lesser year car, you will probably regret it!

Big Jay :blink:

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Keep your 97! the dealer wants a 97 for a 99????? Lets think about it????

Life is too short to grow up!

bigjayzway, I'm fairly certain the dealership will want some $ on top of ted tcb's 97. Given the circumstances I'd say that it would be a terrific deal for the dealership and not so good for ted even if it were an even trade. But the dealership is taking a risk too remember. They don't know the history of ted's 97 or that it might have a hidden crack somewhere that could let loose tomorrow. We're all privi to this information because we assume ted tcb is posting accurate information. The dealership isn't as fortunate.

jh50,

I checked out a polo green 97 STS this past weekend that caught my eye. I was wondering if you could check the CarFax on it for me. The VIN is 1G6KY5291VU804580. It was listed as Excellent condition and running Inside and Out, 12 disc, moon roof, 7 spoke brushed aluminum rims, eagle LS tires, $8200.00, 137K. Here's where it gets interesting. I'm fairly certain that it was in at least one accident. The trunk is set flush but too far to the one side. And where the bumper meets the rear tire well, it is off too far for it to be normal. The outboard corner light was all fogged up on the same side. All of which made me chuckle and do a "hmmm". At least it'll be good for a laugh. Of course if I could get it for a steal......well then....

Thanks in advance.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I have a chance to get into a 99 STS, ...The 99 isn't as clean as mine, but I can change that myself ... auction car, no known history, I'm heading over to pull codes. It has some paint chips, but is a pretty car.

Dude,

I'm not saying to buy this one, but, does your '97 STS

have Stabilitrac?

If not, drive one BADLY in bad weather and you will be sold!

my .02

I'll keep all current on what happens ... the ball is in the small dealer's court now, as to how much $$ difference he wants. The 99 badlly needs detailing, as some kids scratched the hood on the lot when it first arrived last week.

The dealer knows I'll take the car with scratches and all ... easy fix for me.

He was impressed and somewhat nervous when I told him this board had helped me out with a VIN search ... he had given me the #, asking for the results ... and was nervous about the collision repair from 2004.

Unless its a really low $$ figure, I will happily stay with my own car ...I've spent about 2k this year in rims, touch ups, tint, brakes, leather dye, coolant changes, belt and hose replacements, etc., and I don't have a single mechanical issue.

I'll post any results ... the ball is in the dealer's court .... basically, with the VIN news, he said he may run the car back through the auction, or trade for my pristine, lower k car .... if the phone doesn't ring, so be it.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I'm not saying to buy this one, but, does your '97 STS

have Stabilitrac? If not, drive one BADLY in bad weather and you will be sold!

1997 STS had StabiliTrak standard, and was the first year for StabiliTrak. 1997 SLS had ICCS, which is the Integrated Chassis Control System, but it wasn't to the level of StabiliTrak. I think in '98, StabiliTrak was standard on both, or at least standard on the STS and optional on the SLS.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

bigjayzway, I'm fairly certain the dealership will want some $ on top of ted tcb's 97.  Given the circumstances I'd say that it would be a terrific deal for the dealership and not so good for ted even if it were an even trade.  But the dealership is taking a risk too remember.  They don't know the history of ted's 97 or that it might have a hidden crack somewhere that could let loose tomorrow.  We're all privi to this information because we assume ted tcb is posting accurate information.  The dealership isn't as fortunate.

jh50,

I checked out a polo green 97 STS this past weekend that caught my eye.  I was wondering if you could check the CarFax on it for me.  The VIN is 1G6KY5291VU804580.  It was listed as Excellent condition and running Inside and Out, 12 disc, moon roof, 7 spoke brushed aluminum rims, eagle LS tires, $8200.00, 137K.  Here's where it gets interesting.  I'm fairly certain that it was in at least one accident.  The trunk is set flush but too far to the one side.  And where the bumper meets the rear tire well, it is off too far for it to be normal.  The outboard corner light was all fogged up on the same side.  All of which made me chuckle and do a "hmmm".  At least it'll be good for a laugh.  Of course if I could get it for a steal......well then....

Thanks in advance.

Kger2

It shows as a one owner, no accident, personal use. Not much on mileage summary:

12/31/1996/ New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Buffalo, NY/Registered as personal vehicle

03/19/1997/12 miles/New York Motor Vehicle Dept./Rochester, NY/Title issued or updated/First owner reported

07/14/1999/28,864 miles/New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Canastota, NY Title issued or updated

05/21/2001/New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Canastota, NY Title issued or updated

05/06/2003/New York Motor Vehicle Dept. Canastota, NY Registration issued or renewed

Registered as personal vehicle

Just to give a follow up in case anyone is interested in trading up to the newer body series.

The 99 STS has all toys except massage seats ... has the wood wheel and shifter and polished chrome. The leather shows no wear, and the car should clean up with considerable effort on the exterior.

New, small dealer investigated wholesale values and wants $2500 CDN difference, citing

heavy depreciation on older body style. I knew I'd be lucky at $1500 difference, and in my mind $2000 maximum would be worth upgrading 2 model years. Same engine as mine, but the body structure should benefit from being a much newer design.

I'm taking the 99 STS to my mechanic tomorrow for an inspection ... the codes I posted were strictly in history, nothing was current.

If the car checks out as mechanically sound, does 2k sound reasonable? ( approx. $1500USD).

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived