CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Tech 2

Scotty

What do you guys think about us purchasing a Tech 2 as a group? Depending upon how much it is, say 10 of us could contribute our pro-rata share of the total... It could reside with one of us or we could rotate the home base...

This way when someone needed it we could ship it to whomever needed it. We could utilize Paypal for shipping payments, etc.

Anyone interested? We could workout the details. If someone wanted OUT, we could let the individual 'sell' his share to a willing 'share purchaser'.

We have the GM Tech 2.....It could be rented....but....what should be the rental rate?

Deposit....time....shipping....time...

Local dealer can beat that....

post-3-1120887729_thumb.jpg

Aloha Scotty'

I don't understand why 10 people. Does that mean that 10 of us buy and share with all? Wouldn't other people feel more free to use it if they contributed also?

TKS Ed

Thats True Ed. I put about 5 minutes of thinking into this so my logic may not be 100% correct. This is an unusual idea and I was thinking that not a lot of people would be interested in contributing that is kind of why I pulled 10 out of the hat. Hey, if we can get 100, its less for us to pay individually, the problem with that is who the hell is going to manage the process? Furthermore heavy demand could make it not worth it when you need it. In this instance smaller is easier to manage, that is why I put a limit... not to offend or exclude anyone.

Logan, what if we owned it as a group and it was not rented and just shipped out for a specified period of time say 3 days with a return lable? Obviously this would become a time consuming item to manage, shipping it and getting it back. I would volunteer to be the point guy to ship it back and forth. We would also need to ensure that we got it back, how would that be accomplished? Its too expensive to take chances with. Maybe the idea has no merit. Mike

I like this idea, and if there weren't all of the issues shipping really expensive things across the boarder I would be in.

I was under the impression though that owning a Tech 2 wasn't enough...

Doesn't GM send out regular software updates for the tool? Or in other words without an ID and password on the GM Network the tools functionality is limited

Is this right Logan? Or is this an Dealer Myth?

PS I do have a place in Washington State so I guess I could smuggle it back and forth, but 3 days would be tight...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I'd go for it. Never needed one but I might.

You'd have to include die hard old time users only to keep someone from keeping it. Plus what about damage to it? Just a thought.

You'd have to know who was getting it , almost a backgroung check to make sure you know who to go after if they keep it. (I've rented things before, one guy rented right before he left state.)

As far as who gets it, I would leave it with the last person until the next needs it. Last person certifies it good shape and working order, next person recieves it and imediately (Have to have a time stamp delivery thing going on) sends a e mail that it arrived in good shape working order and continue the process. Last guy with it always pays Shipping UPS, USPS, FED X or Fed UP.

You might even have to create a grop just for using it.

Just some input, get you thinking.

Mike

You'd have to include die hard old time users only to keep someone from keeping it.

Hmm, anyone with over 600 posts would narrow it down :lol::lol: just kidding... :lol:

As far as it being stolen, I would think that we would need to have a definitive ID for anyone that was 'in' on it, ie, name, address, phone numbers, email addresses, blood types, etc. :) I would also think that it should be limited to regular, contributing CaddyInfo members and not lurkers or very new members..

Good ideas guys, I am happy to see the interest...

Its fairly easy to update a GM Tech 2.

You remove the memory card and place it in a Tech 2 that has been updated. Then you simply update the card.

Some newer GM cars require the Vetronix CANDI module (CTS and Saturn ION ie) along with the Tech 2. The newer cars use a system called CAN....for 'computer area network.' We are still shopping for one of the CANDI modules...about $700.

Although I was very active on the old board, I see I might be considered a newbie and I just put in this reply as a feable attempt to get my posts up over the 600 mark. A - Pos!

Mike

Although I was very active on the old board, I see I might be considered a newbie and I just put in this reply as a feable attempt to get my posts up over the 600 mark. A - Pos!

Mike

:lol::lol::lol: I was just kidding about 600 posts, this idea isn't getting much attention anyway.... oh well

I think it's a great idea if it could be made to work....maybe there is something that could be added to the board by bruce to handle the process, and that would tell the status of where the Tech2 was.....or something like that. I dunno....just throwing out random ideas. :D

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

ooooohhhh......10 more posts and I can rent it! LOL!! Jk scotty! :P

oh....just noticed my avitar and signature pics are gone.....oh....the site that was hosting them is down. :angry: ...need to move them over to my webspace.......

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Scotty,

Can this tool say what's wrong with my transmission if my computer can't? If it can, I want this tool!!! :):)

P.S. Just get into my mind: how come the dealers having this tool on a hands making so much misdiagnoses? :lol::lol::lol:

Scotty,

Can this tool say what's wrong with my transmission if my computer can't? If it can, I want this tool!!! :):)

P.S. Just get into my mind: how come the dealers having this tool on a hands making so much misdiagnoses? :lol::lol::lol:

Well this tool helps with diagnosis if you follow the problem trees, its a very necessary tool at times. Personally I don't see how you can go wrong if you have one of these tools, you are correct. If you have the service manual, look at how many times the TECH 1 is referred to. I am not sure if it would be helpful for the problem you are having I would need to look at the manual, which I will do later and report back, Mike

Scotty, I was kidding. I'm pretty sure that this tool is very helpfull if you know how to use it. Same time there are always situations where we need to think and analyse, where tools are just tools B)

It's good that I can reprogram PROM with tech 2, but it's interesting to know what else I can do with this tool, that my computer can't. I checked posted link and not really understand what that tool can do. Let say you have code S061 (right front position sensor fault). Does it show where actually problem is? Sensor? Wire? Connector?

You probably have to apply common sense when troubleshooting with the tech 2 as to whether it's the sensor, wire or connector it will probably read the sensor ..They sure work well I'm sure you could troubleshoot with a wiring schematic and mutlimeter but it would take you longer.. In a garage it's a must have tool..

Jim

Yes, it's professional tool, and I agree that every professional auto mechanic should have it (anyway he's repairing not only cadillacs with their computers). But I can't pay more than $2,000 for private garage.

Archived