CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unreliable Luxury Cars

jh50

On a somewhat related note, everytime I ride in a vehicle from a foreign country, I'm so glad I drive a Cadillac.

Today, I rode to lunch with an intern in his VW Passat of unknown year, but probably a late '90s. It had a hair over 80,000 miles. I immediately started comparing a "quality German car" to what most regard as a "cheap GM American car" (re: Cadillac). I first noticed the 4-cylinder buzz in this Passat. It was as bad or worse than the Grand Am I rented a few months ago. The temperature gauge was also broken, with the engine coolant reading full cold all the time. The automatic transmission (although it had 5 speeds) was clunky and harsh. The passenger side airbag cover didn't fit that great on the dash. And what surprised me most -- the suspension was trashed! It crashed over bumps and was incredibly harsh on the some of our pucked roads. It felt like the old Ford Contour at the company I previously worked for. I thought this was supposed to be "fine German" engineering? This car was thoroughly used and it had barely half the miles of my American car. It smacked of cheapness.

It could initially be seen as an unfair comparison...a Cadillac against a VW, but the way the automotive press compares cars these days, I don't think it's out of the ordinary. Getting in my close-to-150,000-mile Cadillac, I sunk into the creamy luxury of a fine American car and basked in comfort on my way home from work later this afternoon.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

My 1969 "luxurious" Chevrolet Elcamino SS has run 36 years now, without-one-single-problem..Hey, it even has the original factory A/C...uh, I mean "Astro Ventalation"..ah, luxury.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I have a friend who prides himself on buying the best. Well he bought a 2002 Infinity I30 in early 2004 off lease. Within months a plastic radiator tank burst, AND even better, he just replaced his struts for $2200 (the FRONT).... He also has an electrical problem that they can not figure out, he plugs in his CELL phone and blows fuses...

He was STUNNED when he found out my car was almost 10 years old.... :lol:

post-3-1120864811_thumb.jpg

Hi Scotty

That is a beatiful car you got. I always wanted a 96 like that with that roof. But here in Canada they are very rare. This morning I replaced the battery on my wifes Pont. SW. It was green, but another cell was dead.Have a nice weekend.

Regards

Runar

I have a friend who prides himself on buying the best. Well he bought a 2002 Infinity I30 in early 2004 off lease. Within months a plastic radiator tank burst, AND even better, he just replaced his struts for $2200 (the FRONT).... He also has an electrical problem that they can not figure out, he plugs in his CELL phone and blows fuses...

He was STUNNED when he found out my car was almost 10 years old.... :lol:

Nice and clean, Scotty ... ready for a Sunday drive to the country club.

Did you ever change your rims or centre caps?

Any luck on an STS for your son?

Tint looks real fine!

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I have a friend who prides himself on buying the best. Well he bought a 2002 Infinity I30 in early 2004 off lease. Within months a plastic radiator tank burst, AND even better, he just replaced his struts for $2200 (the FRONT)....

C'mon Scotty, you're forgetting man! Replacing stuff like that way too soon is part of owning "the best". Like the 3.0L inline six engine that was replaced in my neighbors' BMW X5 because it was smoking at startup. That's all part of premium vehicle ownership. Us'ns with mere General Motors cars wouldn't know anything about that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a friend who prides himself on buying the best.  Well he bought a 2002 Infinity I30 in early 2004 off lease.  Within months a plastic radiator tank burst, AND even better, he just replaced his struts for $2200 (the FRONT)....  He also has an electrical problem that they can not figure out, he plugs in his CELL phone and blows fuses... 

He was STUNNED when he found out my car was almost 10 years old....  :lol:

Nice and clean, Scotty ... ready for a Sunday drive to the country club.

Did you ever change your rims or centre caps?

Any luck on an STS for your son?

Tint looks real fine!

Thanks Ted, not yet, but I saw the center caps at the dealer today on a mint 97 with 34,000 miles on it and I want them!

The problem with my son is that he doesn't have the cash... I hope to surprise him with something at some point

My car is 8 years old with 102K. Now I do my owm maintanence but I don't think I have $500 in parts in it yet. Not including normal wear items.

The problem with my son is that he doesn't have the cash...  I hope to surprise him with something at some point....

Mike:

There is a '93 STS (would that be a Northstar?) sitting in a grocery store parking lot near me with a for-sale-by-owner sign in the window.

White, exterior looks OK at a glance. Can't be expecting to get more than $5K for it.

Want me to get the landline #??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Funny you should mention this.

My wife and I both work, we make enough money, kids moved out and we inherited a dog. Get the picture.

Time to replace a Caddy (maybe Eldo) with an SUV Tax deductable SUV. But after dealing with dealers, hearing all their crap and lies, looking at what is out there. We decided once again (like 3 years in a row) to Keep The 96 Eldo, The 95 SLS, The 96 Dakota, The 72 Impala drop top and the 93 Labarron Drop top. We will add a Cap to the Dakota and there is my SUV. We are putting new suspension and leather into the Caddy's and they will basically be new, Everyone thinks they are new now. In fact, we have a real hard time convincing them otherwise. They look at the speedo like 5 times. It's almost funny! It is Funny! Plus, with Gas going up, who needs a payment? Especialy on a Auto you seldom drive. Because we about always drive the Cadillacs.

Mike

The problem with my son is that he doesn't have the cash...  I hope to surprise him with something at some point....

Mike:

There is a '93 STS (would that be a Northstar?) sitting in a grocery store parking lot near me with a for-sale-by-owner sign in the window.

White, exterior looks OK at a glance. Can't be expecting to get more than $5K for it.

Want me to get the landline #??

Thanks Jim, thanks for the heads up, my son has no where near that kind of cash yet. If he would stop travelling around the east coast following the Dave Matthews Band, he could have bought it.. :D

We almost bought one in Staten Island, but he was short cash...

Thanks Jim

...He was STUNNED when he found out my car was almost 10 LIGHT years old....AND A BILLION SPACE MILES!!!  :lol:

Scotty,

Lest you thought no-one noticed....

NICE LICENSE PLATE!!!

Scotty,

That is a princely looking automobile!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Sent you a PM

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

...He was STUNNED when he found out my car was almost 10 LIGHT years old....AND A BILLION SPACE MILES!!!  :lol:

Scotty,

Lest you thought no-one noticed....

NICE LICENSE PLATE!!!

Thanks! :lol::lol: A Billion miles is just down the road a piece where I come from! :lol:

Scotty,

That is a princely looking automobile!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Sent you a PM

Thank Warren, she's a not liking the 92 degree heat today, feels piggy but that's ok, my coolant temp is NICE.....203 to 213.... :P

Archived