CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oa Oh! Strut Problem

95SLS

Well, Busting 150 K miles of rode hard. Latel I notice that when I hit bumps in road at like 80, the car vears around. Thought that was odd, Then I was Racing a pal in his brand new Mustang, While I was getting the best of him, he noticed my RR wheel hopping. When we got to the DQ he tells me, I look and sure enough I notice a damp ring of oil around the rubber on the strut. So that is so much for that strut. Now I need help.

It's a 95 SLS and it's about perfect condition wise, so perfect that I am buying ner skin for the seats. So It's a Keeper. I am thinking even if I blow the engine I'd rebuild it if I could. A new one makes me squeamish.

Anyhow. I am going to have to take care of the strut problem. Alll the others look ok, No codes (So it's a mechanical failure)

I know they cost lik $700 ea at dealer and maybe can be had for like $400 at Rockauto. I also know that they are a rare find. Last I looked the dealer only had a few. Years ago.

But, do I buy just the one?

Did anyone ever go passive and really like it?

Did anyone follow the bypass the RSS Code after a Passive install and have luck?

What do we recomend?

I took it to a suspension shop and they refuse to do Cadillacs, So I am on my own. (Not that I would consider any other way.)

I want to go the best way, I'd like to keep the factory system because of the Speed sensitive suspension. But if someone has a better way with Passives that gives as good a feel and response, I'll try it. I know with what I have I can do a Get on Ramp at like 60 and an off ramp at 70.

I think I read all the archives but I may have missed some.

Long time no hear, Because The Dag gone thing runs so good.

Mike

Oh! And do i even consider a Junk yard Strut? I recall the dealer needing my VIN umber to see if they had a strut, he said that they are that particular aboutthe fit. Must be due to the OBD I

Mike

shocks are usually replacedin pairs try boston suspension or arnott i installed arnott last year good stiff ride the bypass for the dic code is mounted on the shock and just a plug in

The way you describe your car, it's in great shape, worth taking care of, a keeper. A car like that is worth fixing right when it needs it, if you have the money.

I had to replace all four struts on my '94 Eldo about a year and a half ago. I installed new O.E.M. struts and I've never been sorry. I got them from gmpartsdirect.com. They were right at $1000 a pair total, including shipping and handling. A friend, who is a mechanic, installed them for me. He didn't say there was anything complicated about it.

When my previous Cadillac, an '89 Deville, needed struts I tried to go cheap. I had Monroe Sensitracks put on it at a cost of $800 for all four (different struts altogether). The ride was always somewhat bouncy after that and I always wished I'd spent the extra $200 or $300 it would have taken to to it right.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I looked in the service manuel and they call them shocks.

I looked at Rock Auto and they only show the RR.

ACDELCO Part # 580103

ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK w/SPORT SUSP(FE3) {replaces 22064579 #22064579} $544.79 $0.00 $544.79

ACDELCO Part # 580103

ABSORBER,RR LVLG SHK w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1) {replaces 22064579 #22064579} $544.79 $0.00 $544.79

Now I wonder what "Ride" I have , how to figure and if I buy these puppies with they really work when plugged in?

Plus, how do I determine if my SS Ride control is operative to begin with and not been bypassed?

Wouldn't that suck to install factory shocks and later realize some quirp with the RSS and someone has bypassed it?

Be looking for the part at your link.

But I still have to determine if it's working. No codes.

I think technically the fronts are struts and the rear are shocks.

Be sure you have the correct part number before ordering, they are special order, electrical parts and, as such, are not returnable.

A good way to get the correct part number is to ask your dealer's parts counter person. You'll need your VIN number. I would cross check the number with a couple of sources just to be double-darn sure you order the right ones.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Yea, Double Damm sure! LOL Thats what I am doing. Homework. And we thought it was over after school huh?

Thanks for the help.

I cleaned the garage getting ready for the install.

I still have to see if my ride control is intact.

Mike

WOW! I looked at the Armott kits and that looks like super impressive!

Got me thinking! I wonder how they handle? I like the idea of plug in to factory wire, no need to fool OBD1 and retains air level in rear! Man! Thyat sure does look good! I'd just do all 4! How do they ride? Can youput an STS kit on an SLS?

Mike

I got the Boston link from another post, (This one went crazy) and thay also look like a god kit. I wonder what one is better? I see a lot of people complained about the firm ride, I guess I go withthe luxury ride kit?

I am now leaning towards Boston because they had all that good e bay feed back, a 800 tech support number and good warranty. But where are they located anyone know? Boston? Hey, could be any where.

Mike

if u really want to confuse the issue use arnott on the front boston uses a universal

strut and i think some people have had to cut one of the ears off to make them fit

use boston on the rear because they suply new mounting hardware arnott does not, but u have to solder in the bypass to your old wires

ps u may have to heat the bolt on the rears to break them loose if u do u will need new mounting hardware

Well, I should have read that info earlier. I made what I think is a mistake ordering the complete kit from Boston today. THe place was really assinine towards me. The brag about all this 24-7 800 number tech support. But I waited all day for them to call me back. Then he sends me a poison e mail saying he don't answer the phone on Fridays Just M-Thursday. Well ok. Meantime My Wife ordered the kit for me. Then he sends me e mail asking for the cars info. Even after I sent it several times. I think it has something to do with his crazy Certified e mail, if I reply to that it don't send. If i send one right out it goes. But certainly not to friendly or appreciative of our business! For sure! I have another 2 cars to do same deal, all four at once. Not too dag gone sure I am going to deal with this guy again.

I was impressed with his e bay feedback, but that personality is surely not the one e mailing me.

I am not cool at all with cutting ears off and not all that thrilled about hacking into the car 's wires either.

Maybe I'll do one Car Boston and one car Arnott and replort how the whole deal goes pictures and all with both company's?

Yea! That's what I am going to do!

See what tranaction goes smoother, what install is easier, what car rides better, what was less expensive, pro's and Cons all the way.

Waiting now for my kit to come in.

I had to order it no questions asked because you see, he don't answer the phone on Friday's But Arnott does. And Arnott has downloadable install directions.

Mike.

da da daaaa!

He e mailed back a little apoligetic. (he said sorry) so thats a start.

I'm wondering now if I should also replace the springs while I am at it, or is tat a waste?

Mike

Well they came pretty fast but that was where my luck ended.

Parts arrived damages, told tough crap install anyway.

1st no codes on car at all. Just one leaking rear shock. Jack up car.

Old ones came off like new, only needed a wrench and some PB blaster.

The new ones did not fit right.

I had to hack my shock towers to keep the air line off them. I guess I can do with out that 1/2 inch of metal that holds the shock eh?

Missing parts. The electonic silonoid fool the computer thing was broke too.

I was told to just hook the back two to the one.

After 10 Hours and several rides, in 2 miles I still get gops of codes and SERVICE RIDE CONTROL.

Code SO20 and SO25 related to LR and RR damper silinoid grounded open or shorted.

Also, and I have no clue what these codes are, S023 and S028 more than likely same crap.

It was a real mistake going with the Boston, All it was was some Gabriel Air shocks and some washers and spacers. I just bought the same shocks for my pickup at Autozone for $69 each. ($350 for these)

Advertised as plug and play will fit. Not so.

They ride ok for 10 mles. But looking at the codes, I'll never drive the car again like that. Codes tic me off!

Waiting for them to open, or reply.

This sucks bad and I have not even got to thr front.

Mike

Sorry to hear the bad news, Boston has a somwhat shaky reputation as far as I am concerned. Dennis, from Boston, is known to cruise the boards and assume multiple alternate identities. He got busted over on www.cadillacforums.com and has layed low since.

Hope it all works out.

Well, hope he cruises this one.

I would never suggest anyone use that system, In fact, I am saving my pennies and I'm going to buy an Arnott system and maybe pawn this one off on a car dealer or something. It's really sick the way it is rigged up. The Arnott system bolts right in just as the factory does. I asked, but no one really told me. ANd killer is, I went with Boston becaus they told me they use Monroe parts and Arnott uses some Japanese/China parts. That was it! So I get my Jnk and guess what Gabriel not Monroe. And the front struts are so proud they don't even have a name. China as far as I know.

This was a Gigantic mistake.

Mike

i have a couple of questions one why did u feel u had to cut the shock towers

two did the rear shocks come with new rubber mounts boston led me to belive that they came with new mtg hardware new mtg hdwe to me means bolt washers and rubber if not i will no longer suggest boston on the rear

Mike, I feel badly for your experience. I know you asked me about Arnott and Boston, and I suggested that you speak to both and make your decision. I used Boston and the struts are sitting in my garage to be installed shortly, I am really hoping that I do not have the same problem. I also experienced a bad attitude at Boston but chalked up to him having a bad day... I questioned him about someone else that had an experience like yours and he went off, blaming the purchaser for NOT reading the directions! He has not experienced a bad day until he crosses me, he has already lost business from this site as a result of his poor bedside manner and your experience, if my experience is also bad it will not bode well for Boston. Plus I will be visiting the other Cadillac site to report my experience. Can you hear the sucking sound in the bottom of his checkbook? That is the only was to remedy these things, warn everyone off.

Well, I also have not got to the front yet, but they sure look as if they will fit better than the rear.

Did you do your install?

It does come with new hardware, but I wanted to install the old because of the difference in size of the studs going into the top. I am scared crapless to tow anything with it for fear the washer used will bend and shoot the top of the shock through the large hole in the top of the shock tower. I'm going to have to go with Arnotts in the rear soon, at least before I tow. Depending on the shape of my 1996 and if they will fit, I might just put them on her car and trade it in.

Ya know, I seriously hope he hears the sucking sound from his checkbook. His shocks fit, but they look unsafe, and I had to do way too much rigging, cutting, sand, painting the metal I hacked, and ruining the factory connections on the air line and electric suck, I'd much rather went Arnott, they look, feel, and install just like what came off, to look under the car you can tell it's been by passed, With arnott's you never know, it retains the same mounting and therefore cures the may pop through the top of the tower feeling.

Plus, my idea of fun is not soldering under the car, although if someone is crazy enough to do this Boston kit, you can unplug the wires, take them to a bench solder them and re install.

I used a spray cap and silicone to waterproof mine.

But, All this custom crap is for the birds. I like the plug and play system of the Arnotts and I AM going to buy them and install them on my 95.

I am not blaming you scotty for your input, I checked around and I made a decision, with the info I had. I think I went with Boston Because BOSTON e mailed me and said Arnott was China parts. Well, I got no name Struts. Plus the Boston Warranty was better, they were more money, I went with Boston and I am sorry. Only because of the fit , the no name and the wires.

Point is, as you said, we have power, and we can talk, and point out things. Had someone pointed all this out to me, I would have went Arnott. And, who knows, Boston cruised the board obviously, if he wants to sell more kits he might make his name brand plug and play like Arnott and then people will go for that?

He came around personality wise, but that don't make things easier for me. I'd be done had I went Arnott. I'm on like my 5th day and still waiting... I'll start the front tomarrow. By the way I wish they had mentioned to buy new strut bearings as that is also the hold up now. They come in Monday. The Arnott site DOES mention it! DONK!

The board is WORKING! Great!

mike

I have a 94 Eldo with Boston's Suspension in the rear and I do get the SRC message. Now since its time for my front to get done, I'm wondering if I should go Arnott this time around... does anyone think that might not ride good if I use the 2 different kits?

I am not blaming you scotty for your input, I checked around and I made a decision, with the info I had.  I think I went with Boston Because BOSTON e mailed me and said Arnott was China parts.  Well, I got no name Struts.  Plus the Boston Warranty was better, they were more money, I went with Boston and I am sorry.  Only because of the fit , the no name and the wires.

I know you are not blaming me because I did not stick my neck out to recommend anyone, I told you what I did, and suggested that you do your homework and make up your own mind. Till your problem we had not heard of any major problems with either Boston or Arnott here. I have been communicating with Dennis over the last couple of days and he has been very helpful, understanding and willing to resolve problems.

Report back how your problem is resolved.

Boston kits work!! Just get Dennis to get you the right parts thats all! . Sorry you have a little problem with them, but I have delt with them a couple of years ago, no codes here. I can honestly say they always did what they said.

Kam

Archived